Those with Boss IM and 90mm TB Come In

Voltwings

Established Member
What kind of bit did you use to remove the material?…..and what did you use to clean them up?

Thanks for the great posts….. I guess I just can't stop from thinking that if there was power potential in opening/cleaning the runners, why would't Ford have done it on the CJ…… I have read a lot of threads where too much porting on the Boss hurts performance.

port velocity > Total flow in most cases. Basically the point is to smooth the runners in most cases, just shaving off a ton of material lowers the port velocity, which lowers torque, and HP being a function of RPMs and torque consiquently is also lowered.

VETTEHUNTER

No cure for this disease.
Established Member
port velocity > Total flow in most cases. Basically the point is to smooth the runners in most cases, just shaving off a ton of material lowers the port velocity, which lowers torque, and HP being a function of RPMs and torque consiquently is also lowered.

Exactly what I have read over and over about porting (Removing material from the Boss).

I just ordered the LT's and O/R X….Might still spring for a BBK 85mm as well. Figure the TB doesn't hurt performance based on the reviews I have read. I'll also pull my Boss, clean up the runners a little, and try to open the inlet a couple mm if possible…Nothing crazy.

steveofiveo

Established Member
I've been thinking about ditching my stock setup for a ported boss and 84.5mm TB combo. I've held off because I have a tune/airaid combo from TASCA in RI (which they warranty). It made 390 hp corrected/400 hp uncorrected so its not bad but I always want more.

SCalla1384 what do you think my gains would be over my current setup ? I have a Ford x-pipe, no resonators and GT500 mufflers with Tasca's tune and Airaid (made the above HP numbers). Tasca forced me to leave my cats on to honor my warranty and I hate they way the exhaust smells when they're removed so I left them on. From what I read pulling the cats off would gain me 10 -15 hp only.

Yah that's what he picked up. Maybe he can chime in. His clutch assembly dropped 12lbs with alum flywheel. Mine with lightened steel flywheel (same clutch) was 7lbs heavier.

This is how the finished ports look before polish

28157F9E-C439-45B5-8774-17EE8F38A543-257-0000002CFD4633AA_zpsb8566714.jpg

Reduced the injector boss as much as I felt comfortable with. Corner triangular pieces were fully taken out. And opened up the port just a tiny bit. Really not much at all. More so just smoothed it out

Dizzyscure1

Established Member
I've been thinking about ditching my stock setup for a ported boss and 84.5mm TB combo. I've held off because I have a tune/airaid combo from TASCA in RI (which they warranty). It made 390 hp corrected/400 hp uncorrected so its not bad but I always want more.

SCalla1384 what do you think my gains would be over my current setup ? I have a Ford x-pipe, no resonators and GT500 mufflers with Tasca's tune and Airaid (made the above HP numbers). Tasca forced me to leave my cats on to honor my warranty and I hate they way the exhaust smells when they're removed so I left them on. From what I read pulling the cats off would gain me 10 -15 hp only.

15+RWHP would be expected with cat deletes, i don't know the below peak gains.

SCalla1384

Established Member
What kind of bit did you use to remove the material?…..and what did you use to clean them up?

Thanks for the great posts….. I guess I just can't stop from thinking that if there was power potential in opening/cleaning the runners, why would't Ford have done it on the CJ…… I have read a lot of threads where too much porting on the Boss hurts performance.

I used a carbide tipped cutter to remove the triangular pieces and to blend the 2 plastics together. Then used a sanding drum (120 grit) to work the injector boss down and open the port a little. After I just hand sanded each runner with 600/1200/2000 grit sand paper then felt pad with some polish compound.

Exactly what I have read over and over about porting (Removing material from the Boss).

I just ordered the LT's and O/R X….Might still spring for a BBK 85mm as well. Figure the TB doesn't hurt performance based on the reviews I have read. I'll also pull my Boss, clean up the runners a little, and try to open the inlet a couple mm if possible…Nothing crazy.

The runners have to be smooth. I think the losses come from not smoothing the runners out enough. Mine didn't lose any power/torque, picked up a good amount. Drews intakes don't lose power. Shaun @ AED showed an intake he did that didn't lose power.

As far as the inlet side, I'm not worried about it losing integrity. Last time I checked was a while ago. So that 85-86mm claim could be wrong. But I know it can be opened up a little. Could always just say ef the O ring gasket and run paper gasket on the inlet side..

SCalla1384

Established Member

I love the boss intake. One thing I would do again before buying it, put your rev limiter to 7800-8000rpm. And try shift every gear at 76-7700rpm. See if the stock clutch will let you in gear.

I broke 2nd gear about 5 weeks after the boss intake installed lol. Just wouldn't go in above 7k rpm.

SCalla1384

Established Member
RST. I should have opted for the RXT since I'll be doing a lot of drag racing.

Back in the new edge days all the cobra people recommended RXT over RST for drag racing. But well see, should be fine

steveofiveo

Established Member
The tasca tune is locked so I cant manipulate anything. I think the rev limiter is set at around 7100 - 7200 rpm. Just like you said, I'd hate to install everything, have it tuned, and find out my clutch cant hang. I really don't want to change the clutch just to rev it that high.

I love the boss intake. One thing I would do again before buying it, put your rev limiter to 7800-8000rpm. And try shift every gear at 76-7700rpm. See if the stock clutch will let you in gear.

I broke 2nd gear about 5 weeks after the boss intake installed lol. Just wouldn't go in above 7k rpm.

SteveC

Established Member

SteveC

Established Member
I'll have results of just opening up the intake side in a few weeks. I have some other stuff to do first

I would definitely be interested in your results. I have the FRPP 90mm TB only because I got it wicked cheap when I bought some other parts. I am still debating if I should stick with it or just sell it for more than I paid and just either buy an 84.5 or stick with the stocker for now.

SCalla1384

Established Member
If your tuner is willing to tune it, I'd keep it. Accufab 84.5mm flows more cfm then the 90mm. But, I'm sure you could fix that just by clearing any obstructions in the way.

VETTEHUNTER

Established Member
Well, I said F it and got an Accufab 84.5mm along with the LT's…. I pulled the Boss off and mounted up the TB. Doesn't look like smoothing or porting the inlet will do anything…it seems to be a very smooth transition from the TB to manifold.

The runners DEFINITELY need work. I never realized how bad they were before. Those of you that have cleaned up the runners, are you filling the casting gaps with anything? As you can see by the shitty pic, there is almost a 2mm gap!!…That can't be good. Aren't the CJ Intakes exhibiting the same issue?

IMG_1052_zps3afb7ca5.jpg

IMG_1062_zpsc3e62eb3.jpg

Last edited:

Grabber2012

Established Member
Well, I said F it and got an Accufab 84.5mm along with the LT's…. I pulled the Boss off and mounted up the TB. Doesn't look like smoothing or porting the inlet will do anything…it seems to be a very smooth transition from the TB to manifold.

The runners DEFINITELY need work. I never realized how bad they were before. Those of you that have cleaned up the runners, are you filling the casting gaps with anything? As you can see by the shitty pic, there is almost a 2mm gap!!…That can't be good. Aren't the CJ Intakes exhibiting the same issue?

IMG_1052_zps3afb7ca5.jpg

IMG_1062_zpsc3e62eb3.jpg

Damn that looks pretty with that accufab TB on there.

SCalla1384

Established Member
You can fill them... I didn't. I used a carbide tipped cutter and just blended them some. Then worked it down.

Why not get rid of the fins and open up the TB inlet some on the boss intake?

VETTEHUNTER

Established Member
You can fill them... I didn't. I used a carbide tipped cutter and just blended them some. Then worked it down.

Why not get rid of the fins and open up the TB inlet some on the boss intake?

I thought the fins were to smooth and direct the air flow as it enters the manifold. Has anyone ever removed them? I really don't want to do anything that may hurt performance.

Grabber2012

Established Member
I thought the fins were to smooth and direct the air flow as it enters the manifold. Has anyone ever removed them? I really don't want to do anything that may hurt performance.

From what I understand their there to quiet the whoosh noise down from the air going in cause there on the factory manifold to. I believe from what I've read on here it doesn't really help or hurt at all, I think Shaun did a test on this.

Dizzyscure1

Established Member
From what I understand their there to quiet the whoosh noise down from the air going in cause there on the factory manifold to. I believe from what I've read on here it doesn't really help or hurt at all, I think Shaun did a test on this.

Links? Yeah interesting question about the fins id like to know more also! Does the CJ IM have these fins?

Users who are viewing this thread