This sucks!!!!!

GT915

Established Member
So if the gas station has ethanol-free gasoline, this is good gas??
I don't know for sure but the last two times I bought blended 93 from two different stations, it turned out to be crap. As soon as my tank is empty, I'm gonna try the unblended and data log again. Hopefully this'll turn out better.

Funny5.0

Established Member
I don't know for sure but the last two times I bought blended 93 from two different stations, it turned out to be crap. As soon as my tank is empty, I'm gonna try the unblended and data log again. Hopefully this'll turn out better.

Awesome keep us posted!
There happens to be a gas station right down the street from me that doesn't add any ethanol. I usually never use them because they charge around .50 more than the average around here.

sleek98

Established Member

Also wanted to ask this. There are stations around here that sell ethanol-free 91 and others are not labeled free so I have to assume that they have ethanol. Not sure if its better or worse. Both are 91. No one sells 93 that I know of.

Deranged2013

Established Member

Shaun may have to chime in and correct me but I believe he once told me that the 5.0 typically responds better to ethanol blended fuels. He had said that he got better results tuning with 10% blended vs ethanol free on the 5.0 and 3.5 ecoboost engines.

GT915

Established Member
I haven't been driving much lately so it took a while for me to run out this last tank. A local speed shop sent me to a place where they sell unblended 93 octane premium fuel. Turns out that this was a little mom and pop independent station out in the middle of nowhere. The building was old and the pumps looked antiquated as well. Had this place not been recommended, there is no way I'd have even stopped there. I bought a half a tank and paid nearly a dollar more per gallon than premium at other big chain stations. I'll data log it tomorrow and post the results.

01GTB

Established Member
Interested to see what you come up. I run non-ethanol in my Bullitt, mainly because I sometimes don't go through a tank of fuel every three months. And that's all I run in my service equipment. I have place right around the corner that sells it. Luckily they only run 50 or 60 cents higher.

Chaney5.0

Shaun may have to chime in and correct me but I believe he once told me that the 5.0 typically responds better to ethanol blended fuels. He had said that he got better results tuning with 10% blended vs ethanol free on the 5.0 and 3.5 ecoboost engines.

I'm 99% sure this is bassackwards.

Ethanol is used in most northern fuels now adays to known as E10 (10% Ethanol), it attracts water more easily and breaks down a lot faster. Not to mention independant testing shows that consistantly using E10 at every fill up can decrease a motors life as much as a quarter as it is breaking down all the internal components a lot faster. Big brother thinks that Ethanol is a cheaper solution when it is not. The amount of fossil fuels used to produce the corn to the make the alcohol actually almost = 1 gallon of gas used to make 1 gallon of Ethanol... Good ol' guvment monkeys. Not to mention there are plenty of tests out there showing a HUGE decrease in Gas Mileage over using regular gas.

Why my toys are in the garage and I have a DD to beat up with bad gas etc... I make sure I put race gas, or Ethanol free gas from the SAME GAS STATION every time I fill up, which I never really fill up because the car sits for a week or two at a time.

Last edited:

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
You girls ride AED's D too hard on this forum. It's kinda cute.

Says the guy with a BAMA tune..cute:poke:

30051g6396.gif

GT915

Established Member
Just a quick update...after running out the last tank, I went to another station that actually sold unblended (nonethanol) 93 octane fuel. Thinking this would be better, and at a doller more per gallon it should have been, I did a KAM reset and relogged my WOT pull. Shaun took a look at it and said "absolutely horrific...worst timing log I've ever seen on a stock car". I then, mixed a full can of torco accelerator with 8 gallons of 93 octane premium from the Shell station, did a KAM reset again and relogged in the cooler night air. Shaun said it looked a lot better but that there is still some knock activity causing the timing to be pulled. He suggested that maybe the car has piston slap and the knock sensors are picking up on it. I really don't know what to do at this point. I feel there is probably something wrong with the car as I would imagine the torco would have taken care of the bad gas issue. The engine is quiet and seems strong so I'm not sure what my next step should be. We have a local shop (XXX Motorsports) that specializes in dyno tunes. I'm thinking of talking to them to see if they can help me sort this out. Any constructive input is welcome.
Thanks

Established Member
Sorry to hear that good luck keep us updated

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Shaun@AED

It really bugs this is going on with your car, but without having the car in my possession there is not much I can do.

I will not turn off the knock sensors in any tune, and a custom tune in your car will simply yank timing down. The bad log I saw 15-16 degrees at 5500RPM. That kills power output.

If you find a solution, please let me know.

GT915

Established Member
sorry to hear OP, ill be logging mine as soon as i get off in another 2-3 hours.
Would you mind emailing me your data log if I pm you my email address? Yours must be fine or else you wouldn't have gotten a tune from AED. I'd like to see what a good log looks like. I'll be happy to send you mine if you are interested in seeing what shit looks like.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread