This sucks!!!!!

Alien STI

Established Member
Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I agree with that

I mean idk about him but us guys who want to be tuned and cant because the one guy we want to tune us will not because of this issue is upsetting..VERY. We need tuners to get together and nip this is the bud some how man.

Fun4me

Established Member
I mean idk about him but us guys who want to be tuned and cant because the one guy we want to tune us will not because of this issue is upsetting..VERY. We need tuners to get together and nip this is the bud some how man.
I had shitty gas and on my third tank Shaun gave me the thumbs up. It was a Mobil on the highway "oasis". I was looking to go to E85, so I wasnt too concerned w/ the lack of quality gas. Now I'm emptying my first tak of e85, to make sure all the gas is gone to start datalogging.

Alien STI

Established Member
I had shitty gas and on my third tank Shaun gave me the thumbs up. It was a Mobil on the highway "oasis". I was looking to go to E85, so I wasnt too concerned w/ the lack of quality gas. Now I'm emptying my first tak of e85, to make sure all the gas is gone to start datalogging.

let us know how that goes.

GT915

Established Member
Was there much of the non-ethanol left in the tank?

I don't have a tune, but I have an X-Cal II laying around. Can I data log my 13 GT with that? I would assume it would need to be updated since the last time I datalogged anything with it was like 8 years ago :uh oh: I am running 93 non-ethanol right now too.
The computer said there was 51 miles left and needle was getting close to E so I assumed there was roughly three gallons left. I went to the Shell station, dumped the whole can of torco in and added 5 gallons of 93. I drove it around, making a lot of quick turns to mix it up. Five miles later, I had all my equipment hooked up and was winding out third all the way to the rev limiter. Gotta be careful though cuz the law takes a very dim view of folks traveling 100 in a 65 zone.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
5 miles later? That's not far enough. A fuel change will likely take at least 10 miles to make its way to the motor.
I've seen em run for 20 minutes off fuel tank crossover feed residual fuel after pumping the tank out.
Try another log or two now, it should finally be circulated.

GT915

Established Member
5 miles later? That's not far enough. A fuel change will likely take at least 10 miles to make its way to the motor.
I've seen em run for 20 minutes off fuel tank crossover feed residual fuel after pumping the tank out.
Try another log or two now, it should finally be circulated.
Okay thanks...I was not aware of this. I'll wait till later this evening when the air is cooler outside and I'll rerun it again and see what happens.
If that fails, I'm gonna yank the intake and check the knock sensors. I should probably see about replacing them since I'll have the thing apart already.

GT915

Established Member
Screen shots of data logs: (Notice Knock and Actual Spark)

Pump gas alone:
DavePumpGas_zpsd0400ed6.jpg

Torco log after KAM reset (cleared all Knock learning):
DaveTorco_zps7b0c8689.jpg
Thanks for posting this. My torco log looks just like yours at the same rpm. My knock sensor didn't show a positive value until 4400rpm. It stayed less than 1.7 all the way till I hit the rev limiter. Now my spark dropped a lot in the early part of the run while the knock sensor showed a negative value. Are you looking for the spark to remain pretty constant for the entire run? How about the knock sensor? Is the 1.6 value in your screen shot considered ideal. I'm not trying to complicate things, I just want to know what I'm tryng to attain. Thanks again.

Shaun@AED

With a full can of Torco in the tank there should be no positive knock logged.

The dilemma here is this:
If it was 'false knock' being detected from an outside source adding Torco would not show any difference in the logs.
If it was truly 'bad gas', a full can of Torco should easily clean up all knock events.

What is it that we have here? False knock or bad gas?

Last edited:

GT915

Established Member
Another update to this neverending saga. Two people here suggested that the five miles I drove it after adding the torco was not enough. Turns out they were right. I drove it around a couple of days and, with the same fuel as before, I did another KAM reset and ran it again in the cooler night air. I sent the log to Shaun last night and he said it now looks good. My problem all along was shit gas and the torco cleaned it up. I am now sending him the rest of the required info along with payment and will be getting my tune shortly. Besides being able to upload my tune and install my midpipe, I am relieved to know there is nothing wrong with my car. This has been a huge pain in the ass but I'm glad I did it as I have learned a lot. As soon as I get my stuff installed, I'll put my new gopro to use and post a video.

NickSezz

Established Member
Another update to this neverending saga. Two people here suggested that the five miles I drove it after adding the torco was not enough. Turns out they were right. I drove it around a couple of days and, with the same fuel as before, I did another KAM reset and ran it again in the cooler night air. I sent the log to Shaun last night and he said it now looks good. My problem all along was shit gas and the torco cleaned it up. I am now sending him the rest of the required info along with payment and will be getting my tune shortly. Besides being able to upload my tune and install my midpipe, I am relieved to know there is nothing wrong with my car. This has been a huge pain in the ass but I'm glad I did it as I have learned a lot. As soon as I get my stuff installed, I'll put my new gopro to use and post a video.

:thumbsup:

Shaun@AED

So we are calling it bad gas since the Torco cleaned everything up.

WTF is with the fuel some of you guys are getting?

svt04cobra1

Established Member
I also was told by Shaun that the quality of gas was bad. I went and got some race gas and he tuned the car. Now when I go to the drag strip, I make sure I have a little less than an 1/4 tank of gas and buy 1 1 /2 gallons of 100 octane and mix with what is in the tank. I am going to buy a five gallon can of torco from the race shop near me and mix a gallon in with every fill up just for Safety's sake.

Any time I took my car to the track or just out for a night of racing I ALWAYS put some 104 unleaded in it for safety!!!!! :beer:

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
So we are calling it bad gas since the Torco cleaned everything up.

WTF is with the fuel some of you guys are getting?

see,

i told you shauniepooh

Ive had really good luck with Exxon Mobil, i used to use shell and chevron exclusively till:

A- kept showing bad logs pulling timing
B- Shell and Chevrons here in SA got in trouble for using 87 instaed of 93.

from what i read too much 87 was brought in and they just mixed it all

Funny5.0

Established Member

Congrats on getting this issue sorted out!

So from what I've been reading on this thread, for all of us running a tune, should we all be throwing in a can of Torco for safe measure with each fill up since we'd never know the quality of gas we'd be getting at any given gas station?!?!

NickSezz

Established Member
see,

i told you shauniepooh

Ive had really good luck with Exxon Mobil, i used to use shell and chevron exclusively till:

A- kept showing bad logs pulling timing
B- Shell and Chevrons here in SA got in trouble for using 87 instaed of 93.

from what i read too much 87 was brought in and they just mixed it all

We are the 1% of people effected when some guy at the pumps says, "Ah hell, it ain't gunna hurt nothing." (pours 87 and rest of his slushy in the 93 tank)

Now, TGIF Fridays restaurants are filling the Grey Goose bottles with moonshine...sort of the opposite effect but you get the point :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread