This site crushes my computers speed, am I the only one??

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I've been quite a bit busy over the last few months and haven't spent nearly as much time on here as used to, but I never had any issues in the past with this site. All of a sudden, I started trying to get back on and my computer runs like crap whenever I come to SVTP. This is the only web site I use that causes this problem. I use a Mac and have an app that shows me how much memory I'm using and how much is available. As soon as I log into SVTP, my usage MB's jump to 4k or higher and everything becomes jumpy, laggy and delayed, the screen scrolls extremely slowly and jumpy... It makes using this site almost impossible to bare. Is anyone else having this issue? Is it an issue with my computer or something I can fix? It's driving me nuts.

I don't know if versions changed since I've been away from the site or if it's something on my mac that's causing it, but it's only SVTP that does it.

FocusSTGuy

Established Member
Its all the adware behind the scenes. I had the same issue until I installed the AdBlock plugin in chrome. After that its all good.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
What version of Safari are you running? I have 0 issues with speed on my PC with FF, Chrome and IE10 and no issues on my wife's Mac. Maybe clear your cache/cookies and try again?

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I use Firefox, It updates automatically so I'm sure its the most recent version. I'll log out and try using Safari and see what happens. I do have an ASSLOAD of adds running all around the screen, is that not normal?

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
Ok so now I'm logged in using Safari and it seems to be MUCH better, but it still lags when I type and still shows that I'm using over 4kMB of memory to run nothing but this site. Thanks for the help, I never even thought to try a different browser. I can live with the way it runs on Safari, but it was BRUTAL on Firefox.

oldmodman

Established Member
You might want to download Ghostery if you have a Mac like I do.

It prevents all the cookies that share stuff with a huge quantity of other sites.

Here is what it stops from downloading when Ghostery is on
DoubleClick
Facebook Connect
Google Analytics
Pingdom
VigLink

And here is what is actually placed on my computer when Ghostery is OFF

[x+1]
Adap.tv
Advertising.com
AppNexus
BidSwitch
BrightRoll
Criteo
Datalogix
DoubleClick
Facebook Connect
Google Adsense
Google AdWords Conversion
Google Analytics
Google Dynamic Remarketing
Lijit
LiveRamp
Magnetic
Moat
New Relic
OpenX
Pingdom
PulsePoint
Quantcast
Sizmek
Typekit by Adobe
Viglink

All that stuff has to be using up some of your cache or running memory.

Stanger00

Established Member
In Firefox install ad block add-in. That will prevent all ads from opening and you don't even have to add them to a list it does it automatically.

I don't know how people surf the Web without adblocker running.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Site gives me problems from time to time. All other sites work fine for me.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

It prevents all the cookies that share stuff with a huge quantity of other sites.

DoubleClick
Facebook Connect
Google Analytics
Pingdom
VigLink

[x+1]
Adap.tv
Advertising.com
AppNexus
BidSwitch
BrightRoll
Criteo
Datalogix
DoubleClick
Facebook Connect
Google Adsense
Google Analytics
Lijit
LiveRamp
Magnetic
Moat
New Relic
OpenX
Pingdom
PulsePoint
Quantcast
Sizmek
Typekit by Adobe
Viglink

Drew, that's actually a mild list. I have seen sites with 50-75 trackers. I use Ghostery on all of my computers (Windows and MacBook Pro). Wouldn't want to use my browser without it.

8gtoklr

Established Member
Im having same issues, I have adblock and it doesnt do anything on this site. I'll look for the ghost one i guess. Ghost works!

Last edited:

Troponin

Established Member
The ads on this site are insane. They are almost all videos that eat up a ton of your computer's resources. I wish there was a way to just turn them off, because they are out of control. I have a custom built PC, tons of memory, SSD, killer GPU and CPU combo, and this site will makes my computer hang up at times.

Stanger00

Established Member
I hopped on SVTP on my MBP yesterday and seen that it's temperature jumped and caused excel and word to run slow as I was doing homework in between reading a few threads. This site does cause my junk to work harder than usual. I have the latest and greatest from Apple OS and update. Run Firefox with adblocker+. I don't typically look at forums with the laptop these days so it doesn't really bother my limited use.

Dassar

DoubleClick
Facebook Connect
Google Analytics
Pingdom
VigLink

[x+1]
Adap.tv
Advertising.com
AppNexus
BidSwitch
BrightRoll
Criteo
Datalogix
DoubleClick
Facebook Connect
Google Adsense
Google Analytics
Lijit
LiveRamp
Magnetic
Moat
New Relic
OpenX
Pingdom
PulsePoint
Quantcast
Sizmek
Typekit by Adobe
Viglink

Thanks for the suggestion. Site is much more usable now.

twistedneck

Established Member
This site went to complete shit. right now there are two competing forced open video ad windows playing over each other, repeating.. on top of that - there are so many memory leaks in this add code I've seen all 16GB of my ram in use..

Dear Site Admin, was it worth it to ruin this board with ads? Its going to die a slow death as long as you keep it in spam mode.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
This site went to complete shit. right now there are two competing forced open video ad windows playing over each other, repeating.. on top of that - there are so many memory leaks in this add code I've seen all 16GB of my ram in use..

Dear Site Admin, was it worth it to ruin this board with ads? Its going to die a slow death as long as you keep it in spam mode.

I'm not having any issues since the last tweeks. What browser are you using?

Users who are viewing this thread