This is What Happens When you Race at MIR

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
I feel your pain on this. Did this to my turbo 05. Snapped the stock diff in half on a 5k launch on a 28" slick

vortecd

Established Member
My understanding is the torsen rears are not meant for drag racing

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Look at it this way it was gonna break at some point, now you can buy a real diff that will take the punishment and ask for more, strange 9.0 inch is a strong set up!

poof100

Established Member
How much RWHP were you running?? Thanks! Sorry sucks man, good luck with the replacement.

Thanks man. Well the power varies by launch and by gear. If I had to guess, we were probably around the low 700s on launch and go up to the low/mid 800s in 4th gear. That shows you how hard the suspension was working, since we aren't throwing all 800+hp at it on the 1st gear launch.

Wow, sorry to see this, not the first time ive heard or seen of a Torsen diff failing. I don't think they hold up to the 1/4 very well.

Yeah, the helical gears are primarily for road racing, but held up longer than we thought.

Wow man.

How did you hurt 4th?

Some of the synchros may be going. Going to pull it out and fix it like new in prep for selling the whole Magnum setup. Automatic time along with some other changes!

Nice carnage!

Haha, thanks Jon. Time to build the bulletproof rear now. :burnout:

Last edited:

MODCOBRA

Established Member
Damn Jeff...sorry to hear that. It happens as you well know. I would have liked to see that 9 sec pass!!! I like the looks of the Strange, bolt in, 9" for our cars. I believe you can configure it anyway you like.

RioRed4v

Established Member
My understanding is the torsen rears are not meant for drag racing

Mine too. A lot of comments were floating around about this when the cars first came out. Torsens are somewhat notorious for blowing apart when being used in drag race applications.

Deranged2013

Established Member
What's the best replacement for the 8.8? Detroit truetrac? Guess I won't be surprised when the torsen decides to explode.

Sorry Jeff. Guess it was expected though. STRANGE TIME.

poof100

Established Member
Damn Jeff...sorry to hear that. It happens as you well know. I would have liked to see that 9 sec pass!!! I like the looks of the Strange, bolt in, 9" for our cars. I believe you can configure it anyway you like.

Thanks Ben, yeah it wasn't a shock when it blew up, figured we were on borrowed time. Would have liked the 9 second pass with the Magnum too. Will keep you posted on the Strange setup we go with.

Whats your best 60' on that setup ?

I believe the best 60' was a 1.42 on the setup. Suspension is definitely doing it's job.
What's the best replacement for the 8.8? Detroit truetrac? Guess I won't be surprised when the torsen decides to explode.

Sorry Jeff. Guess it was expected though. STRANGE TIME.

Thanks man, Yeah, Strange time for sure. If you don't want the ultimate track setup with a Spool, then your next best bet is a Wave Trac style differential (Moser). However, it can only run 33 spline axles in the 8.8, but still pretty stout for a car driving on the street and strip. Strange will have a similar S trac coming out for the 8.8 that will do 35 spline axles. That would be my pick if you kept the 8.8 and didn't want a Spool.

9Sec03Cobra

Established Member
Moser makes a really nice setup, but I will probably do the 9" setup from Strange for relationship reasons.

Here's the video, like I mentioned nothing special.

th_MVI_0155_zpse3e7d88c.jpg
"]
th_MVI_0155_zpse3e7d88c.jpg
[/URL]

I wish you would have caught the whole run!!! LOL That was my 8.97 pass. Sorry about your rear bud! We both had those issues! :beer:

My08stang

Established Member
at least that shit broke at launch, and not down the track... then would need to call you an import guy.....

Users who are viewing this thread