This is What Happens When you Race at MIR

poof100

Established Member
Thought we'd try 1 more time for the 9 second pass with the Stock Boss motor, Magnum XL and 76mm Turbo combo before the season closes.

Here's a result of how good MIR hooks. This was the totally stock Boss 302 rear, with just the axle tubes welded. It has held up for about 30 passes or so. Full suspension car with 28" stiffwall ET drags, 2 step set at 4100 on this carnage. Looks like a 9" might be in my future in prep for next season's changes.

IMG950605_zps4a3b4094.jpg

Bud

Established Member
Damn, guessing that made a little noise when it let loose. Sorry to hear about the breakage, but a good excuse to upgrade!

poof100

Established Member
Holy carnage!!!

What broke first? Pinion head snap off?

Not sure yet, looks like the Torsen literally exploded and in turn destroyed the boss 302 alum cover lol. This was at Ford Fever at MIR and there were already a lot of oil downs, so we quickly got it off the starting line and onto the trailer. Sean Kelley's Turbo GT also destroyed his 8.8 ring gear on his pass after running an 8.97.

Damn, guessing that made a little noise when it let loose. Sorry to hear about the breakage, but a good excuse to upgrade!

It actually wasn't that bad, just a loud bang and it was over. We planned to upgrade anyway, but was hoping it would last one last racing weekend. So much for that! lol.

Ouch - no video of the failed launch?

I have a video, let me post it up, nothing exciting. Just sat at the line and Bang.

BMR Tech

DAMN!

So, that was what "Eric text me the pic of.. I was like "wtf" when he sent it to me.

Holy carnage batman! I know MIR deserves some credit, but, so does the suspension! lol

poof100

Established Member
DAMN!

So, that was what "Eric text me the pic of.. I was like "wtf" when he sent it to me.

Holy carnage batman! I know MIR deserves some credit, but, so does the suspension! lol

LOL. Yeah, Eric's response was "Ooops". lol.

Yeah, The BMR suspension was definitely working, car leaves straight as an arrow! It's too bad too, as the First pass was going to be a 9 sec pass, but had an issue with 4th, coasted to a 10.21@ only 133 or something. Time for the Auto!

poof100

Established Member
Time for a Moser 9" set up.

Moser makes a really nice setup, but I will probably do the 9" setup from Strange for relationship reasons.

Here's the video, like I mentioned nothing special.

th_MVI_0155_zpse3e7d88c.jpg
"]
th_MVI_0155_zpse3e7d88c.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:

pickles

Established Member
Hmm... my car has the Torsen diff in it. Is this something I should expect to happen in the future, even with just a few bolt-ons?

poof100

Established Member
Hmm... my car has the Torsen diff in it. Is this something I should expect to happen in the future, even with just a few bolt-ons?

One of my buddies has a 12 Boss and runs mid to low 11s with bolt ons. He has blown apart 2 or 3 rears and the Torsen didn't last long. He does launch at like 6500rpms plus on slicks, but still. At Import vs Domestic, he twisted his whole axle tube housing and bent a 31 spline axle as his Tubes weren't welded.

With a manual car, I'd definitely run the "S" slicks and it all depends on how hard you launch it etc. A spool or wave trac are your best bets. Strange is supposed to be coming out with a 35 spline posi type differential, "S trac" similar to the Wave Trac in price, but able to do 35 spline axles. I believe early spring is the timeframe.

Users who are viewing this thread