Thinking of selling, whats a good starting point?

DaveWertz

Established Member
So with some heavy hearts I have been thinking of selling my 98 Cobra. With fuel prices and the added car seat in the back it sits more than it gets driven. Anyhow I'll list what I can think of off the top of my head and y'all let me know what would be a good asking price.

It's got 70k original miles, interior is a 9.5 out of 10 with everything original. Seats have no tears and literally almost perfect condition. Exterior the paint is it say a 9.7 out of 10. And all original except for the saleen wing.

Motor- Forged internals include
Manley H beam rods
JE forged pistons
Kellog crank reconditioned
Factory heads refresh with factory 98 cams
New followers
9 thread spark plug inserts
Cometic MLS head gaskets, factory compression
ARP hardware throughout
Imrc delete and complete smog delete
Prothane motor mounts

Exhaust-
Mac long tubes
Mac x pipe
Slp lm 1s

Trans-
Ram HD clutch
Pro 5.0 shifter
Aluminum driveshaft
Just fully serviced as well

Suspension-
Upr upper and lower rear control arms
Full Eibach sportline suspension
Tokico gas struts

17x9 black FR500s in the front with 275/40/17 bfg Gforce tires

17x10.5 black FR500s in the rear with 315/35/17 bfg Gforce tires in the rear.

Rear-
Ford 4.10 gears
Ford racing diff cover
Brand new ford racing carbon fiber clutch packs when I rebuilt the rear.

Fuel and Blower-
Ford green top 42lb injectors
Aeromotove stealth 340lph in tank pump (E85 Compat)
VMP 5000 slot style maf with integrated IAT.
Vortech V1 with 3.12 pulley and new gates belt.
Air to air intercooler with cx cooler choking it up.
Tial 50mm blowoff right before the intercooler.
JLT 3.0 catch can.
AEM digital wideband
SCT x4 handheld.
Ngk tr6 plugs with livewire spark plug wires with brand new motorcraft coils. Also have Screamin demons as spares.
3 core aluminum radiator.
Moroso overflow tank.
Moroso powersteering

Have a Hanlon Trans rebuild kit for when power levels are ready to go higher. $600 value.

39998.jpeg

Sent from my LM-Q620 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

96dreamer

Established Member
The market is all over the place for these cars especially modded. If it were me listing it I would probably list at 20k but expect to take something around 15k unless the right buyer wanted it.

Cobra Jet

Established Member
The market is all over the place for these cars especially modded. If it were me listing it I would probably list at 20k but expect to take something around 15k unless the right buyer wanted it.

The above is correct…. The 96-98’s are bouncing between $15k-$35k depending on overall condition, accumulated miles, SVT Build # (low vs high etc), exterior/interior color combo and who’s selling it (private vs dealer vs auction).

Last edited:

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
As already mentioned, the market is crazy right now. But I'd say mid to high teens is feasible. With that being said, I urge you to reconsider. We thought about selling our Cobras when the kids were toddlers. Both cars sat for several years with me driving them every couple of months to keep the fluid circulated. But kids grow up fast and are in booster seats before you know it. Now we all have a blast going on cruises and to car events. Needless to say she and I are both glad we kept them.

I did trade my 30k mile 04 Lightning in on a new 2018 f150 4 door. I have no issues with my truck now but do regret letting the Lightning go. Not because of the trade in price, the dealership gave me a generous offer. I was having the same thoughts as your having and didn't think I would have time for it. Knowing what I know now I should have kept it.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I would agree that if don't really have to sell it, consider keeping it. It's in great condition with a long list of nice mods. I would imagine it's fun to drive. As already mentioned, you might regret a sale later. If, for financial reasons, you HAVE to sell it, do what you have to do.

DaveWertz

Established Member
This are the same thoughts I keep going back and fourth right now. It is paid off so its not costing me anything other than registration, 7 quarts of oil and insurance. It is just an idea right now as I also thought about getting into a F100 shortbed. And or a SxS. Its just a thought for now I'm nowhere near set in stone on selling it. My wife would prefer i sell my Harley first lol. I just hate seeing it sit.

LS WUT

Established Member
I couldn’t have said it better than most on this forum have. Like some on here we have cars we drive often, and some we do not drive almost at all. I look at it this way. Oil, registration, and insurance covers the cost of how much you enjoy it by jumping right in her and having a blast cruising, and rowing the gears? When was the last time you got that much excitement for cheaper? I’d be willing to bet everytime you see a 96-98 cobra drive by you say damn that’s a nice car, but you have a good one at home. Imagine the thought of saying nice cobra, and not having one at home you can get in. Granted it seems as though you’re considering selling due to wanting another project of some sort. Market being high is creating a lot of garage queens to surface. However one thing I can assure you is that if you sell it now for let’s say $12k-$15k given the condition etc. you’ll not be able to buy it back for that with the way things are going. Nor could you find a lower mileage cobra in condition, and replicas the mods, etc you did with this was for the same price. Just my opinion, I wish you luck either way sir! Beautiful Cobra.

BigScott96

Established Member
This are the same thoughts I keep going back and fourth right now. It is paid off so its not costing me anything other than registration, 7 quarts of oil and insurance. It is just an idea right now as I also thought about getting into a F100 shortbed. And or a SxS. Its just a thought for now I'm nowhere near set in stone on selling it. My wife would prefer i sell my Harley first lol. I just hate seeing it sit.

You will regret selling it.

As for price. 20K all day. I have been really watching the market and it does depend on a long list of things as to what price it will go for. Remember there is a ass for every seat. Do not let that car go for 15K if you do sell it. I see mustang GT sn95 and new edge going for 12k-17k here in LA.

If its paid for keep it! If you hate seeing it sit. DRIVE IT!! Make time! My wife made me wake up and realize you need to make time for things you enjoy. I was doing what you are. I would let cars sit and not drive them. I am now going to 3-5 car cruises a month. Most of the time its 2 a day. One with the Cobra go home change cars and cruise the Formula.

Cars I regret selling in the past 6 years!
1989 Iroc drop top
2008 Viper drop top
2014 Viper GTS
2008 Hummer SUT
2009 Hummer SUT
1987 Mustang LX 5.0 T-top 5 speed

In my life the list is MUCH longer! You will regret it!!

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
Consider swapping over to collector's insurance to maybe save a little coin. I saved a ton by doing that on our Cobras. Everyone has a slightly different premium but my cost is $1k a year for both cars. Basically $500 a year for each. I have $25k coverage on my 98 and $35k coverage on her 03. We can put up to 4500 miles a year on the cars and they have to be stored in a covered structure. Just something for you to consider.

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
my vert is nowhere near as nice as the OP's car. shes got 93K on it and while the interior is pretty ok, she has a fr500 repro wheel and and TMI pro chicane seats. it needs a paint job pretty bad and the body has a very very minor dings here n there. i also need to replace a motor mount.

i honestly dont have the time to deal with it right now and i feel guilty every time i see it in the driveway but my 13 year old daughter said shes willing to learn stick to be able to drive it. both my daughters have repeatedly told me i cant sell the car.

to me, its a neat lil stock vert but its not that big a deal but to my daughters, that car is literally me, to them. i obviously have more sentimental value in my car than you do in yours based on how you wrote the post but to people that know you, that car is literally you also. and, even if its "slow", its ALWAYS fun to drive. my 97 is bone stock still to this day, down to the 3.27 gear gear and stupid 4x4 ride height. but, it makes V8 noises and barks 2nd gear real hard plus its a vert. its fun, and fun matters.

General Jack

Established Member
Keep it. If you continue taking care of the car it will only get MORE valuable.

An appreciating investment you can have fun with is the perfect win/win IMO.

scottg

it's good to be blown
Established Member
I'm just now getting back into mustangs for first time in many years and I'll just add this. I'm driving 4.5 hours this Friday to go to a dealer to hopefully pick up a 98 cobra convertible that is mostly stock except some mufflers and wheels, with 83k miles on it. We have agreed a site unseen price of just below $13k. It's laser red with black top/black interior. Almost all sn95 cobras I'm seeing for sale have saddle interior. I have a now 2 and 4 year old and deciding to get back in the game and have a "toy" vehicle. Not sure if that price helps you but that is a dealer that was asking $14,900. There is also a dealer just 20 minutes away from me trying to sell a coupe for $15,900 with same mileage, fyi.

hotpony

Established Member
I bought a blown 96 laser red (needs paint), saddle interior, rebuilt forged engine, FMIC, on3 cobra fuel tank/triple pump hat, ID1000 injectors, tuned on e85 at 500rwhp, for 12.5k... BUT - Since then I've put about 7k into it with a new TKX, tubular coilover front setup, rear end rebuild + 3.73's, etc.. And it still needs paint.. By the time I'm done with it, I'll have 25-30k into it...

My point is... if you sell that thing, you will have a really hard time finding another one in as good condition and you will guaranteed regret it.. I've seen so many of these posts over the years, you're going to do what you're going to do. I understand the dilemma, so I'd suggest if you sell it, go 20k and expect to take 15-18k.. The market is just not there for these yet.. If it was a Fox body, it'd be 25k.

Good luck, God bless.

Cobra Jet

Established Member
I also think that folks are now holding on to the SVT SN95's due to the push for EV's and the fact that these cars (in good maintained condition) are as many have said - very hard to come by now.

I also always see the reference to the Fox platform - but what many don't realize is that the SN95 was still on a Fox chassis/floor pan/suspension, and the only real thing that changed was the body shell and interior. This isn't coming just from me, but if anyone collects Mustang books, literature or really follows the builds - it's been mentioned factually as well in those books and other sources. I mean, to those of us who have owned a Fox and an SN95, we know with a side by side comparison, the SN95 is almost identical to the Fox from the underside.

The SN95's have their own following just as any other Mustang platform over the years - and the collectibility of these cars, more specifically the SVT line over a standard GT is rising as the years pass.

I've thought of selling mine a few times - but haven't, because of the statements in this thread. I know what I have, the overall condition of it, and to replace it if sold - there just wouldn't be any replacement and the cost to replace would exceed the fact that I have a solid SVT and know what has been done to it, without the need for any repairs or restoration.

Everyone has reasons for getting rid of something and in most instances, money drives that thought. If the car is paid off, and is in the garage more than not, the only cost there is would be Collector Car Ins. Even maintenance cost is very minimal, the car isn't being used and it doesn't cost a thing to start it, run it or take it out every now and then. Most Collector Car Ins. companies for those who have NOT shopped them or insured as such, the cost to insure one at say just a hypothetical $20k Agreed Value, it's going to cost minimum of $300 a year - that's it. If it's an SVT, it's value will appreciate over time anyway and that $300 a year is moot.

I've had mine on Collector Car Ins. now for close to 15 years, fully insured for an Agreed Value. Other cost to maintain annually is practically nothing at all, aside from fuel or an oil change every so many thousands of miles. My SVT sees less than 3K a year since it's been on Collector Car Ins. That's also not because of any Ins. restrictions, it's just because I only take it out when it's nice or when I have time to do so - my S550 is my daily anyway.

I say hang on to it (and any SVT product), unless there is an absolute compelling reason or need to have the $$$ (which will just be spent or used on something else) over the Cobra. These cars are not at their peak yet either - so if it was sold, you're leaving a lot of $$$ on the table.

Users who are viewing this thread