Thinking of selling 14 Shelby and buying 04 Cobra

nexxone_05

Accelerated Machines
Established Member
Been on the fence about this for a while now. The 03/04 Cobra was my dream car in high school and I still haven't been able to stop thinking about it.

I bought one a few years back, but unfortunately I had to let it go. I didn't really mind it much because it wasn't the color I was always after.

I currently have a 14, that I love! I know, it's a completely different car and by standards an upgrade, but it didn't rid me of my love for the 03/04. I have a solid offer on my 14 and found exactly what I am looking for in a 03/04. Now that it's quickly becoming a reality I feel a little hesitant.

Has anyone here gone from a 11-14 Shelby to a 03/04 cobra? I would really appreciate your insight. :)

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I owned my 13 GT500 and my 04 cobra at the same time, I unfortunately purchase a pretty beat to shit 04 cobra, but I still tried enjoying the car as much as possible.

The GT500 is a better car in just about every way, and I'm not trying to bash on the terminators, but it's no different than comparing a 13/14 GT500 to a 2020+ GT500, the 2020+ is going to be the better car.

Having said that, even owing both at the same time, I still always found myself wanting to take the GT500 out. It just got more looks and was overall a more fun to drive car. The cobra was very raw and that made it fun to drive as well.

I personally would never buy another 03/04 cobra, unless it was a low mileage Mystichrome that I would just leave stock.

IMO keep your GT500. But you only live Once, so do what makes you happy.

Screenshot_20240207_150755_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240207_150859_Gallery.jpg

LS WUT

Established Member
Don’t ask me, I’m a sucker for mustangs in general. I think the 03/04 cobras raw feeling is amazing. They’re not the fastest but boy do they put a smile on your face. I’d say I love my 2013 GT500. They just feel slow because of the 3.31 gears. 1st gear is 62, 2nd gear 40 rolls are fun, but it feels like it takes forever before you shift, you run 1/4 miles in 3rd at 124mph. Granted with gears it would wake it up. I’ll post a picture for you, it makes me smile and is true.
IMG_1508.jpeg

IA Shelby

Established Member
I had a modded 11 and a 04 cobra at the same time. I grabbed the keys of the 04 more than the Shelby.

poisoned apple

Established Member
I would say if you drive it a lot, stick with the 14. So many more comforts that the 03/04 doesn’t have. If you don’t drive a lot and just like to look at them, then 03/04 is a much better car to look at which color are you wanting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I personally haven't ever owned or even been in a 13/14 GT 500.

I try getting myself to like them, but I'm honestly not a fan of the way they look. And a terminator in my opinion looks 1000x better.

It's your car, and if you like everything about the GT 500, you might regret selling it.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

LS WUT

Established Member
I personally haven't ever owned or even been in a 13/14 GT 500.

I try getting myself to like them, but I'm honestly not a fan of the way they look. And a terminator in my opinion looks 1000x better.

It's your car, and if you like everything about the GT 500, you might regret selling it.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk
IMG_2508.png
I do think some angles look eh on them. However they can look menacing as hell.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Been on the fence about this for a while now. The 03/04 Cobra was my dream car in high school and I still haven't been able to stop thinking about it.

I bought one a few years back, but unfortunately I had to let it go. I didn't really mind it much because it wasn't the color I was always after.

I currently have a 14, that I love! I know, it's a completely different car and by standards an upgrade, but it didn't rid me of my love for the 03/04. I have a solid offer on my 14 and found exactly what I am looking for in a 03/04. Now that it's quickly becoming a reality I feel a little hesitant.

Has anyone here gone from a 11-14 Shelby to a 03/04 cobra? I would really appreciate your insight. :)
Get the Cobra, @ the least, it will generate 2 " regret " threads !!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Some great comments and recommendations have been posted. Personally, I would not sell the GT-500 and replace it with a Terminator. You're going to regret doing that. I would only buy the Terminator if you can keep the GT-500, or if you're only so-so enjoying the GT-500. But you said you love your GT-500. The Terminator is a nice weekend driver, whereas the GT-500 is a better daily driver. Maintenance wise, the Terminator will likely require more, as it's 7-8 years older now. Think this over REALLY well before it make a decision to replace your GT-500 with the Terminator.

Questions.
How often do you drive your GT-500?
Is it your daily driver?
How often would you drive the Terminator?
What's the mileage on your GT-500?
What's the mileage on the Terminator you're looking at?
Is the Terminator engine highly modified?
What are your GT-500 engine mods?

nexxone_05

Accelerated Machines
Established Member
I owned my 13 GT500 and my 04 cobra at the same time, I unfortunately purchase a pretty beat to shit 04 cobra, but I still tried enjoying the car as much as possible.

The GT500 is a better car in just about every way, and I'm not trying to bash on the terminators, but it's no different than comparing a 13/14 GT500 to a 2020+ GT500, the 2020+ is going to be the better car.

Having said that, even owing both at the same time, I still always found myself wanting to take the GT500 out. It just got more looks and was overall a more fun to drive car. The cobra was very raw and that made it fun to drive as well.

I personally would never buy another 03/04 cobra, unless it was a low mileage Mystichrome that I would just leave stock.

IMO keep your GT500. But you only live Once, so do what makes you happy.

View attachment 1827754View attachment 1827755
The plan will be to keep it stock. Maybe just a nice set of CCW'S and a polished exhaust. That being said, it's one of the reasons I started really thinking if I should. The GT500 is the fastest car I've ever owned and I know keeping the Cobra stock will be a power downgrade.

I would say if you drive it a lot, stick with the 14. So many more comforts that the 03/04 doesn’t have. If you don’t drive a lot and just like to look at them, then 03/04 is a much better car to look at
emoji41.png
which color are you wanting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't drive it much. :( My commute is too far to drive it all the time. Believe it or not I've always loved Silver Metallic, (yes I know it's not the Comp Orange everyone is obsessed with)it's the color they had at my local Ford dealer show room back in 2003. It left it's mark. LOL
Get the Cobra, @ the least, it will generate 2 " regret " threads !!

LOL! This is what I am afraid of.
Some great comments and recommendations have been posted. Personally, I would not sell the GT-500 and replace it with a Terminator. You're going to regret doing that. I would only buy the Terminator if you can keep the GT-500, or if you're only so-so enjoying the GT-500. But you said you love your GT-500. The Terminator is a nice weekend driver, whereas the GT-500 is a better daily driver. Maintenance wise, the Terminator will likely require more, as it's 7-8 years older now. Think this over REALLY well before it make a decision to replace your GT-500 with the Terminator.

Questions.
How often do you drive your GT-500?
Is it your daily driver?
How often would you drive the Terminator?
What's the mileage on your GT-500?
What's the mileage on the Terminator you're looking at?
Is the Terminator engine highly modified?
What are your GT-500 engine mods?
I've put 3k miles on it since March of 2019. The terminator will probably get driven a little more. I have 2 other cars, one of them is my daily commuter. The odometer just hit 21K miles. The Cobra I am looking at has 11k miles and it's stock. My GT500 has a few bolt ons, CAI, 2.5 pulley, VMP TB, and Lund tune.

Attachments

• IMG_5015.jpg
    IMG_5015.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 53

railroad

Established Member
I could not do this, but with your high desire, the Cobra would have to exceptional in every way.
I have a 99 Cobra with a KB supercharger, alum flywheel, drive shaft, 373 gears, cat back, etc and a 13 GT500.
I can agree the the 99 Cobra is nimble, easy to drive, does everything, but out run the Shelby.
The Shelby feels like a vault, but you probably know that.

PC03GT

Established Member
The plan will be to keep it stock. Maybe just a nice set of CCW'S and a polished exhaust. That being said, it's one of the reasons I started really thinking if I should. The GT500 is the fastest car I've ever owned and I know keeping the Cobra stock will be a power downgrade.

I don't drive it much. :( My commute is too far to drive it all the time. Believe it or not I've always loved Silver Metallic, (yes I know it's not the Comp Orange everyone is obsessed with)it's the color they had at my local Ford dealer show room back in 2003. It left it's mark. LOL

LOL! This is what I am afraid of.

I've put 3k miles on it since March of 2019. The terminator will probably get driven a little more. I have 2 other cars, one of them is my daily commuter. The odometer just hit 21K miles. The Cobra I am looking at has 11k miles and it's stock. My GT500 has a few bolt ons, CAI, 2.5 pulley, VMP TB, and Lund tune.
If that's your car keep it. She is clean

Users who are viewing this thread