Thinking of going Boost

Steve@Tasca

Have you looked at the Ford Racing Whipple kits? They come in 525 or 624 horse versions and Whipple makes some really nice kits.

-Steve

_Snake_

Established Member
So a centri blower obviously creates heat. In my particular situation (low boost goals) couldn't one oversize the intercooler and combat this issue?

I'm not sure if your question is in regards to the track or daily driving, but there was a member on another site who tried a number of different mods to try to keep things working correctly on the track with a centri blower. He ended up with some mixed results and ended up going back NA, if I remember correctly. If you were wondering about daily driving, the Stage II kit from Procharger keeps things very manageable (would never know that the car was FI).

Last edited:

Jabooh1

Established Member
It was geared to the track however I am on the track with this car maybe 8 hours a year. Last year I witnessed a $1M accident with two McLearen MP4-12C's. After that I am quite cautious and leaning toward getting a AI dedicated car.

Today on the way home it was 102 in stop and go traffic. Cylinder head temps hit 220 and IAT was at 115. Don't know what a PD or Centri would be like. Driveability nor reliabilty can be compromised.

_Snake_

Established Member
Its not that hot in FL (thank God), but my cylinder head temps are in the 205-210* range in 95* weather here. Hopefully someone smarter than me will chime in if I'm mistaken, but my understanding is that the centri doesn't generate heat like a PD because it's not making boost in the lower rpms (no boost means no heat). My readings seem to back that up, but I've been wrong before.

lpheaven

Established Member
The d1sc can make power down low. Its a bit more though. Im going the i1 route so I can put the boost where I want it via the lcd screen. In speaking for several hours on different occasions with different vendors, procharger gets my vote. I gather that as long as the intercooler is tip top, dont worry to much about heat
Edit:: I wouldn't call the pcv from PC junk. Ive never heard this from talking to PC boosted guys at the local car shows

Posted via Topify on Android

Last edited:

Voltwings

Established Member
Its more ambient engine bay temps than boost air temps, Plus the added horsepower puts a strain on the oil and coolant... FI just makes EVERYTHING hotter.

Jabooh1

Established Member
So...
Option 1)
Centri blower <8# (Paxton or Vortech (I like the way the Vortech looks better))
Oversized Heat Exchanger
Enlarged Radiator??
Dual Fans on Exchanger??
91 Octane tune but run 93
Keep Strut Tower Brace
Tiger Racing Hood
'13 GT500 CDC Grille
Roush Lower Grille Delete

Option 2)
PD Blower (VMP TVS)
Enlarged Radiator
91 Octane Tune but run 93
Tiger Racing Hood
'13 GT500 CDC Grille
Roush Lower Grille Delete

If I assume that during open track days I "take it easy" and aim to a dedicated American Iron. So which option is better for:
1) Stop and go traffic in a Houston (100*) summer
2) Reliability

Last edited:

Voltwings

Established Member
Run mild option 2 may be more fun just because the torque would still be there, and i feel the weight would be carried better when you're on the track. The PD cars are also more fun around town i would feel, but have no experience there... I'm just not very partial to centri blowers, so ill let those with experience chime in.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Guys, ANY blower makes heat. You're compressing air. The VMP TVS kit now features the GEN II, the same blower we introduced a couple of months ago on the GT500. On our Boss 302, it produces 870+ rwhp on race gas. Rebecca's car (Justin's wife's 5.0) makes a ton of power and runs solid mid 9s @ 142+ through an auto.

Our Stage 2 is the kit for 90% of folks. 600-650 rwhp on a GT...more on a Boss...out of the box (octane and altitude dependent) on a safe, daily driver calibration....a twin fan multi-pass heat exchanger to keep downstreams cool and under control....a turn-key kit complete with our custom calibrations and a new SCT X4.

http://vmptuning.com/50l-superchargers/stage250gen2/

and here's a look at one on JLT's 5.0 that we did at Mustang Week. https://www.facebook.com/VMPTuning/...0.1407635368./681220978614737/?type=1&theater

bj

Last edited:

Jabooh1

Established Member
Correct they all create heat. Compression of gas creates heat.

However, there has to be a point where that heat is too much for the coyote engine. Therefore at low boost I am trying to determine if the heat from a PD is measurable worse than a Centri. I like the way the pd looks more than a Centri but am worried about stop and go in Houston traffic for 75 miles a day.

Last edited:

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
Your Boss has stronger rods & pistons then a regular GT, why would you settle for only 550 to 600rwhp? Especially when the CJ set up can get close to 500... Think bigger! E85, boost, & 700rwhp street car... I love my Roush TVS, but I could see a Boss owner wanting to keep his Boss intake.

lpheaven

Established Member
Your Boss has stronger rods & pistons then a regular GT, why would you settle for only 550 to 600rwhp? Especially when the CJ set up can get close to 500... Think bigger! E85, boost, & 700rwhp street car... I love my Roush TVS, but I could see a Boss owner wanting to keep his Boss intake.

Keeping my intake was very important to me

One of the reasons i chose Procharger. Both the TVS and Procharger will get you to your horsepower goals PERIOD. 2: The i-1 lets you put the boost where you want it and has close the hp potential to the F1a, but your gonna pay for it. If i want top end, change the curve, bottom end ? change the curve ? Boost ? change it between 3,5,7.5 and 10 #s all from inside via rotary switch or the LCD screen upgrade.
The i-1 lets you put the boost where you want it and has close the hp potential as the F1a, but your gonna pay for it.

Ask yourself this over and over until you decide, what is your budget, what are your goals and where do you want your power ? Down low instant, a flat curve tons of potential and cheaper in price ? Go TVS

Nice curve and lots up top and a bit more money ? go P1SC stg II.
/
There are minor pros and cons for each but back to the what is your budget, what are your goals and where do you want your power question
That should come 1st. Then you can start weighing Paxton/Powerdyne/ATI/Vortech/Eaton

After you have thought all of this out, then think of supporting mods. Tires Tires Tires , LCA UCAs, a damn good spring rate...this list can go on. What ever you decide you will be extremely happy with absolutely no buyers remorse. Just think, with this type of power adder, your going to get 200+ more horsepower and shit ton of TQ.

Best of luck dude and ill keep you posted when my i1 gets in. Just a few more weeks

Jabooh1

Established Member
I'm getting there.
$8k or less
550ish hp
No Driveability issues
No longevity issues
Able to do 20 minute track sessions 3-4 times a year
Keep redline at 7500
Power at or around 3k rpm
Clean install with little to no metal cutting
Quiet blower
Loosing Boss intake doesn't bother me will just hang in the garage

Seeing as how I am not trying to go crazy I think either will work perfect. I like the look of a pd over centri so maybe that's the tipping point for me.

Boss949

Established Member
I'm getting there.
$8k or less
550ish hp
No Driveability issues
No longevity issues
Able to do 20 minute track sessions 3-4 times a year
Keep redline at 7500
Power at or around 3k rpm
Clean install with little to no metal cutting
Quiet blower
Loosing Boss intake doesn't bother me will just hang in the garage

Seeing as how I am not trying to go crazy I think either will work perfect. I like the look of a pd over centri so maybe that's the tipping point for me.

You really need need to call VMP and Hennesey (in Houston and they've worked on a number of Bosses).

Voltwings

Established Member
Hennessey you pay twice as much for the name as you do for the install. 100% not worth it unless you just want the "status symbol."

Jabooh1

Established Member
I think I am going to call VMP and Beefcake this week and chat a little. I leave for work (Africa) for 3 weeks on the 19th. Want to have my research done so I can think about it when I am gone.

Boss949

Established Member
Good call. You will get the answers that you need to make the decision for you and your Boss. Lot's heat; humidity in Central Florida where VMP is located.

Henessey's reputation is that of higher price. However, you can probably get some great info on heat soak for cars in the Houston area.

I'm going TVS or Whipple. Leaning to VMP.

Users who are viewing this thread