Thinking of going Boost

Jabooh1

Established Member
So guys... I am thinking of going boosted soon. I had my heart set on a Cobra Jet conversion to get 500rwhp but I can get that and more easier with a blower.

I wanted to to post this here because I don't want a lot of 1/4 mile guys chiming in about numbers and how good it is at the strip.

I currectly track rack day my car but limit to 20-25 minute sessions. More than likely I will pick up a AI car in the next year or so and the Boss will stay off the track. Therefore heat soak on the track is not that much of an issue. I do daily drive my car 60 miles in stop and go Houston (100* today) traffic. That is the top concern.

Money key isn't an issue. I don't want to spend $10k but don't mind $6-7.

Reliability is top! I drive it to work and it needs to be reliable.

I have heard that TVS's are instant torque but get real hot. Centri's are cooler I believe but not instant torque.

I searched for "daily" in the GT power adder section and read those but wanted your guys opinions.

Any thoughts?

Boss949

Established Member
I've been wrestling with adding a S/C also. You are not seeking a huge increase in HP, so there will be a lot of good choices.

Everyone has their own opinion. I really like the fact that using a Centri (Vortech, Paxton, Pro Charger) allows you to keep the Boss Intake Manifold and the guys that are running Centri's all seem to be real happy with performance.

Shaun @AED and other tuners/installers I know really like the PD type with the 5.0 (VMP, Roush, Whipple, Kenne Bell)

Here's the Stage 2 VMP
http://vmptuning.com/50l-superchargers/stage250gen2/

Here is a good article from Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords about the different boost options.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/engine/1308-forced-induction-why-boost-it/

Hope this might help you.

Jabooh1

Established Member
Nice read. I like the way the TVS look but an really worried about heat. I still want to take my car to the track and run 20-25 minutes a few times a year or at least till I get a dedicated American iron car.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
Just my experience... I drove a 12 Boss with a paxon blower, made 600ish at wheels. It was on stock Pirellis with lower springs and lca/uca goodies... it would NOT put the power down in the 1st three gears. It even broke loose in 4th once... imo it was not a usable power. Since, my freind did wheels and tires with sticky drag radials and it hooks better, but stil useless in the lower gears.
The other thing he complained about was heat... here in fl it gets hot. He said in low speed traffic it got real hot.
It all left me saying to myself to keep the car na. But there are plenty of bosses running boost, so I am sure some of these issues can be fixed.
As a result though, I have left my car stock powerwise.... I just dont know what I want.

Jabooh1

Established Member
Yeah I go back and forth. The low end torque of a blower is tempting and will be easily 600hp/500t. About $7k installed and tuned it seems. Or Cobra Jet setup 500hp/450t NA for about the same installed and tuned but power is all peak.

Voltwings

Established Member
I have lots of turbo experience in Varrying sizes, granted they were all on 4 cylinders, so i'm not sure how relevant the data will be. I believe running a good turbo at low boost will keep the heat a little more under control than a supercharger since you dont have the parasitic losses to over come, as well as the fact that turbos are just more effecient per lb of boost. Hell, you may have a hard time ONLY making 500-550. However, spool is a very delicate subject, and while a turbo will have a very nice powerband, i think you'll have a hard time matching the liner powerband a centri gives you.

Both centri and turbo hang a lot of weight off the front of the car, so its kind of a wash there... you should just buy my CJ for cheap and call it a day haha :beer:

Voltwings

Established Member
Hahaha. We can discuss at lunch. Cheap.... is relative but good.

Decided i'm just not comfortable taking my stock GT engine that high for 30 minute sessions, so i'm going back to the stock intake and am just going to flip the money into a Watts link or something.

Jabooh1

Established Member
Hmmmm. Lots to discuss / learn about blowers. Your buddy going to bring his car? I just bought the KB Boss Plus wing.

Voltwings

Established Member
No, its in the shop (the car just lives there lol i dont know if its getting any work done), he'll likely just be riding with me. I'll see if i can talk him into driving though.

_Snake_

Established Member
Just my experience... I drove a 12 Boss with a paxon blower, made 600ish at wheels. It was on stock Pirellis with lower springs and lca/uca goodies... it would NOT put the power down in the 1st three gears. It even broke loose in 4th once... imo it was not a usable power. Since, my freind did wheels and tires with sticky drag radials and it hooks better, but stil useless in the lower gears.
The other thing he complained about was heat... here in fl it gets hot. He said in low speed traffic it got real hot.
It all left me saying to myself to keep the car na. But there are plenty of bosses running boost, so I am sure some of these issues can be fixed.
As a result though, I have left my car stock powerwise.... I just dont know what I want.

Let me know anytime you'd like to go for a ride in a 13 Boss with a P1SC. I'm always looking for an excuse to take the car out, even though it's nothing crazy: 550 rwhp @ 7.5 psi, stock suspension, and the cats are removed...... but I have no heat related issues in stop and go traffic here in FL. Like the Paxton car you mentioned, I can't mash the skinny pedal in 1st - 3rd without blowing the tires off above 5k rpms. But at least I can make it that high. lol

OP -- my vote goes to a Procharger, and I highly encourage you to contact Power by the Hour. Damn good shop, even though it's nowhere near you.

Last edited:

_Snake_

Established Member
I'll just leave this here.....

Given the Stock pullied Centrifical setups I have had on my dyno, the P1SC + Boss IM and Long tube headers has made more power on my dyno than any other Centrifical setup. 750+ SAE running out of fuel (E85) and letting out (with the stock supplied blower pulley). The Maf resolution is FAR superior to the Vortech/Paxton setups as well. However, the PCV setup on the Prochargers is junk, puts oil into the blower which fills the intercooler and eventually blows oil film on the front of the car when the BOV opens.

The reason the P1SC makes more is the compressor is more efficient at low boost and the CFM these engines use at 650RWHP and under (on gasoline). The larger blowers are more efficient at higher boost / more CFM and are a better fit as power increases.

I'd recommend running the Vortech/Paxton PCV setup with the Procharger, along with a PCV valve that was designed for Boost (Ford EV-269).

Jabooh1

Established Member
So a centri blower obviously creates heat. In my particular situation (low boost goals) couldn't one oversize the intercooler and combat this issue?

86Fbody

Established Member
So a centri blower obviously creates heat. In my particular situation (low boost goals) couldn't one oversize the intercooler and combat this issue?

I would think you could take several steps to cut it down, they probably also make blankets for centri's like they do turbos.

92fiveohfox

Established Member

Centri creates less heat than a PD blower. Also the paxton comes with a HUGE intercooler that is good for up to 900hp. As mentioned Justin at VMP tracks his roush blown boss on a regular basis. TBH I'd keep it NA if you are going to track it.

Users who are viewing this thread