Thinking of getting rid of the SRT8

canadianbullitt

Established Member
So lately ive been getting pretty annoyed with the price of premium fuel and with the amount that my SRT8 Jeep likes to suck back. I love the truck to death and it runs top notch but ive been playing around with the idea of getting rid of it.
So what I was thinking is that I would entertain the idea of getting something different. Ideally it would be around 20k or less and still amuse me for a DD. (The jeep has a huge fun DD factor) That way I would have some spending cash left over from the sale of the jeep.
I have to be able to drive it in the winter but AWD or 4x4 isn't a must. V8 or 4 banger doesn't matter so much as pretty much anything other than a big truck is going to get better mileage.
I was thinking maybe a
-Golf
-WRX
-Mazda of sorts
-Focus?
-Older M3
-ECT
-(On the other side of the spectrum, my GF wants to get a newish SRT8 Jeep which would certainly not solve the fuel use problem but would be pretty baddass haha.)

Anything you guys would suggest I go test drive or you've had good experience with as a DD?

Thanks

Never_Enough

Established Member
Speed6 or Speed3 is my pick. A clean E36 M3 cost too much for what you get & so does the E46, but the E46 is sexy looking.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
If it was me in this situation, I'd pick up a GC Altitude and put the SRT suspension on it.

The Altitude edition GC's are nicely equipped, do all the things you want to do, get far better gas mileage with the 3.6 and will run on 87 swill saving you even more money over the gas hungry SRT8.

The 2014 models come with a 3.90 axle ratio and the 8 speed auto which makes the thing move far better than the older 3.6 equipped jeeps with lower (numberical) axle ratios and the 5 speed auto.

Only issue there is it doesn't jive with your price range. You could probably find a used one in great condition for upper 20's.

20140421_192152_zpsxuelluxe.jpg

Zemedici

Established Member
you're talking about going from a srt8, an awd, grumbly v8 force to be reckoned with

to a golf, a car that high school kids idolize, aren't good for much aside from getting guys to hit on you, or apparently putting ski racks on when you live nowhere near snow

blasphemy

Never_Enough

Established Member
you're talking about going from a srt8, an awd, grumbly v8 force to be reckoned with

to a golf, a car that high school kids idolize, aren't good for much aside from getting guys to hit on you, or apparently putting ski racks on when you live nowhere near snow

blasphemy
Who cares? Buy what you like. Miatas are gay, right? I don't care, the car is fun to drive & the top goes down.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
If space is no concern i would say check out a Fiat Abarth. Stupid, stupid, stupid fun. The exhaust note alone is awesome and you can spec it with some really nice options. Its on the higher half of the 20k range though when you start optioning it out with sunroof, heated seats...etc. The dealer near me even stated that certain modifications do not void the warranty and can be bought directly from the dealer and installed by the dealer, similar to FRPP 3/36 parts.

For reference, i drove everything from a Beetle Turbo to the Abarth to the WRX STi. Anything with 4 cylinders and a turbo and i can say the Abarth and the FiST put the most smiles on my face. The MS3 scared me(torque steer MOFO) and the WRX annoyed me(stupid radio).

I ended up picking up the Fiesta ST for all around fun with 4 doors. 5k miles of smiles for right around 20k.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That is a nice looking GC. I'd be hard pressed not to consider this one.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
That is a nice looking GC. I'd be hard pressed not to consider this one.

This model specifically is what drew my wife and I to the GC. The Altitude model is based on the Laredo which makes it cheaper. However it comes really well equipped. You get the alcantara style interior from the SRT8, you get a moonroof that isn't even available on the limited, you get the 8.4" touchscreen interface that can be upgraded to nav and you get the body colored fender lips from the overland.

It also comes with the aforementioned 3.90 axle ratio which helps get the thing moving with the v6. Even up here in Colorado, it is as quick or quicker than the 2013 Golf GTI I had.

Put the SRT suspension on it and have almost as much fun as you have with the SRT8, but save buttloads at the pump. I get 26mpg highway and about 21 city in mine on 85 octane.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If space is no concern i would say check out a Fiat Abarth. Stupid, stupid, stupid fun. The exhaust note alone is awesome and you can spec it with some really nice options. Its on the higher half of the 20k range though when you start optioning it out with sunroof, heated seats...etc. The dealer near me even stated that certain modifications do not void the warranty and can be bought directly from the dealer and installed by the dealer, similar to FRPP 3/36 parts.

For reference, i drove everything from a Beetle Turbo to the Abarth to the WRX STi. Anything with 4 cylinders and a turbo and i can say the Abarth and the FiST put the most smiles on my face. The MS3 scared me(torque steer MOFO) and the WRX annoyed me(stupid radio).

I ended up picking up the Fiesta ST for all around fun with 4 doors. 5k miles of smiles for right around 20k.

I own a '14 Mini Cooper S hatchback. Has a tune, tint and appearance mods and is a blast to drive. That said, I absolutely would never own a small car again. Just too impracticable as a DD unless you absolutely don't/won't have a storage space issue with a small car. I miss my old '02 Infiniti QX4 SUV. It was in awesome condition and I could conveniently toss anything (easily) into the rear cargo area. Groceries galore. Lawn supplies. Large suitcases for vacation. And 4-wheel drive to boot for winter driving fun. I really do miss it. That's why the white GC above gets my personal nod.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
13+ Genesis Coupe 2.0t or 3.8 would be right at your price point, would be used with low mileage and likely CPO, 2.0t has 275hp and 3.8 has 350, still get mid 20's mpg, and are very fun (RWD).

Id also be looking at Focus ST or Fiesta St, you can get a brand new FiST for around that or a slightly used CPO FoST.

Id also try looking for maybe a 11-12 5.0 GT but IMO when I looked the closer to low 20's you got, the miles on them really skyrocketed. Clean low mileage 11-12's around me were still garnering high 20's.

stmoney11

DSG Lightning
Established Member
I love my Focus ST, it's easy to find a CPO 2013 or 2014 in your price range.

It is fun to drive, gets decent MPG(26 on a mostly highway commute) and there is a good amount of room with the rear seats folded down.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
I own a '14 Mini Cooper S hatchback. Has a tune, tint and appearance mods and is a blast to drive. That said, I absolutely would never own a small car again. Just too impracticable as a DD unless you absolutely don't/won't have a storage space issue with a small car. I miss my old '02 Infiniti QX4 SUV. It was in awesome condition and I could conveniently toss anything (easily) into the rear cargo area. Groceries galore. Lawn supplies. Large suitcases for vacation. And 4-wheel drive to boot for winter driving fun. I really do miss it. That's why the white GC above gets my personal nod.

Dont have a problem stuffing my Fiesta? First weekend i owned it, packed 2 dog crates(with dogs), 2 large suitcases, Christmas presents for 5 people, dog toys/bowls and me and my wife into it and drove to New Jersey from Maryland. It was crammed but my family couldnt believe how much crap it held.

Im assuming the Cooper S doesnt have alot of rear space? I never drove one to compare. Didnt like the horror stories about the drivetrain.

My father has an Infiniti QX56. Go buy a Nissan instead for half the price and all the same features. The dealer costs are insane too. QX56=pile of garbage. Never again.

And for the GC mentioned above. If its the 3.6 Pentastar, good luck. Trash motor with HUGE cylinder head issues that Jeep cannot resolve. They extended the powertrain warranty to cover the engine over just replacing the cylinder heads on EVERY 3.6 motor.
Also the catalytic converters that will blow the honeycomb into the exhaust causing all sorts of weird rattles/CEL's and a terrible set of brakes that melt the o-rings and piston boots.

08mojo

Established Member

blasphemy

For what it's worth. The wife and I have a mkv gti that we use as a third vehicle and daily commuter. The car is great, I absolutely love it! I bought it to use as a daily when I had my terminator. We've been through several other cars since that time, but the little gti has stuck around. you are right about one thing, the car is 'adored' by one particular group of guys--they love the plaid interior.

To the OP, I will admit, there is nothing fun about the gti--it is quite a boring car. It does everything very well, but nothing that brings a smile to my face.

Funny you say that because I am always amazed with how much crap we can cram into the little 2-door gti. It is a close match to cargo room for the gti and our grand cherokee. I would never have believed this myself, but I was proven otherwise.

wht93gted

Established Member
I had a WRX DD and hated it. After 30 minutes of driving, my ass and legs would go numb.
I DD drove a Ram for 9 years or so and the gas was brutal. I'm driving a 2012 E350 right now; I couldn't love it any more. The comfort, great mpg, space, features, etc.

I even enjoy driving my wife's Fusion as a DD; I just wish it were bigger.

canadianbullitt

Established Member
Lots of good thoughts here. Ive actually heard that about the GTI that its quite boring in a way. Im not sure I could live with myself if I bought a non-SRT Jeep to be honest haha.
Buddy of mine has an 09 335I sedan with 58k on it and some mods for 23k dollars. May have a look at that.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
The 335 won't require premium fuel since its modded? Ever thought about a 08+300/Charger SRT8?

Last edited:

BlueSnake01

Established Member
The 335 won't require premium fuel since its modded? Ever thought about a 08+300/Charger SRT8?
You can run 89 even 87 just wouldnt recommend going WOT. Still for best MPG 91 is needed. I avg 28 MPG’s on a 300 mile trip. Street is in the 17-18 range, dont think any SRT other than a Skittle can get that.

OP, 23k seems a bit steep if you ask me. I wouldnt pay over 20k.

Last edited:

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member

blasphemy

:lol:

my buddy put a bike rack on his modded focus. he leaves it on at car shows and pretty 24-7.
the bike has never been ON the rack :nonono:

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Lots of good thoughts here. Ive actually heard that about the GTI that its quite boring in a way. Im not sure I could live with myself if I bought a non-SRT Jeep to be honest haha.
Buddy of mine has an 09 335I sedan with 58k on it and some mods for 23k dollars. May have a look at that.

I wouldn't call the GTI boring. It isn't a handful to drive like a lot of the hot hatches out there, but it's a fun vehicle. I really liked mine, but at the end of the day I don't like how front drive cars drive. They just don't feel right to me after always having rear drive vehicles.

In stock form a GTI is pretty quick, handles well, does decent in the elements and is comfortable. They do take premium which seems to be a bit of a concern for you. However if you keep your foot out of it it'll reward you with 30-32 average mpg and close to 40 on the highway.

Users who are viewing this thread