Thinking of getting rid of the SRT8

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
You can run 89 even 87 just wouldnt recommend going WOT. Still for best MPG 91 is needed. I avg 28 MPG’s on a 300 mile trip. Street is in the 17-18 range, dont think any SRT other than a Skittle can get that.

OP, 23k seems a bit steep if you ask me. I wouldnt pay over 20k.

28mpg is amazing to me lol. I get 22mpg on road trips and average 17mpg mixed driving, my car is bone stock though.

HandBanana

Established Member
I'd just keep the Jeep if you're honestly thinking about getting another one, just newer. If you decide to sell, I'd go get a brand new Focus ST, preferably a leftover 2014 so you can get a deal on it. All the amenities, fun to drive and decent MPG. I love beating the snot out of my nephew's ST3.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Premium isn't really a concern as long as it doesn't guzzle it like the Jeep.

That's a good clarification.

Honestly, I've been through this and I think going from the jeep to pretty much anything on your list is going to be a short lived adventure. I did the same thing when I downgraded from my C6 to the GTI. Told myself that the savings in cost, insurance and fuel would be nice for my wallet and still have a fun car.

In the end it just wasn't the same and I ended up getting out of the GTI within a years time. I've been more content with the Jeep because it's not something that I get in to have fun. It's just an A to B.

I truly feel that you may find yourself in that same place where you regret selling the SRT8 and "downsizing." If you're going to do that, move to a car that is going to be just an A to B and functions well in that role. Any of the cookie cutter sedans etc.

Just a thought but have you considered a 3.6EB Flex? You don't see many of these and they have gobs of torque and at least to my eye a pretty cool look. I'm not sure what pricing on those are used though.

Last edited:

Voltwings

Established Member
Im obviously biased after having owned two, but my vote is always MS3. When i was in the market it was only the Ms3, wrx, and GTI. The Ms3 has the most power, the same or more space, and was priced right in the middle. it just seemed like a clean cut winner to me, plus i liked the looks and its just fun to drive. Granted, to further my bias, we are a mazda family, having previously owned a regular 3 sedan and still have a miata, so theres that.

I appreciate the GTI but even in late 2009 210 Hp was pretty measly, and i LOVED the wrx i drove, but it was 4k more than the speed and they hold resale value like crazy, so there's that. Also, im not going to point fingers or demand anyone's man card, but my finace' drives our lightly modded and tuned speed and can manage to keep it in the lane ... doesn't really give anyone ground to stand on when talking about the torque steer.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member

Honestly, I've been through this and I think going from the jeep to pretty much anything on your list is going to be a short lived adventure. I did the same thing when I downgraded from my C6 to the GTI. Told myself that the savings in cost, insurance and fuel would be nice for my wallet and still have a fun car.

In the end it just wasn't the same and I ended up getting out of the GTI within a years time. I've been more content with the Jeep because it's not something that I get in to have fun. It's just an A to B.

I truly feel that you may find yourself in that same place where you regret selling the SRT8 and "downsizing." If you're going to do that, move to a car that is going to be just an A to B and functions well in that role. Any of the cookie cutter sedans etc.

Just a thought but have you considered a 3.6EB Flex? You don't see many of these and they have gobs of torque and at least to my eye a pretty cool look. I'm not sure what pricing on those are used though.

You sound like my dad lol. I tell him all the time how I want to get a "normal" car. He says I won't like it and will be back in something performance based in no time. I've just decided to pay the SRT8 off then get a normal second car.

08mojo

Established Member

I went down this same road. I sold my terminator for a golf r, trying to be more 'responsible' for the same reasons you listed. Huge mistake--i felt like I had lost my soul. The golf r lasted 4 months...never again.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
You sound like my dad lol. I tell him all the time how I want to get a "normal" car. He says I won't like it and will be back in something performance based in no time. I've just decided to pay the SRT8 off then get a normal second car.

Probably because I speak from experience. I've done it twice now. Sold my C6 Z06 for a 2008 GT/CS, eventually went back to another C6 coupe and sold it for a GTI. In both cases I ended up spending more simply because I wasn't satisfied.

In both situations my primary motivation was to save a bit of money each month. While I initially succeeded in doing that, I didn't have the discipline at the time to actually make that savings work for me. I just went out to eat more, purchased more car parts, bought more booze etc.

Then I'd end up trading the lesser vehicle off at a significant loss to get back to something that I felt was worth the cost to begin with. If I had to take a guess between interest costs, losses from depreciation, plus downpayments, that I had lost probably 40-50K between 2008 and 2014 when I finally said enough was enough. The kicker. Had a just stuck it out with my C6 Z, I'd still have this in my garage and it would be paid off.

IMG_1856.jpg

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I'd check to see what the "bumper to bumper" warranty covers and how long is left on it. There's a reason those cars depreciate so fast outside of warranty. The repair bills on them are insane and they don't have a track record of being the most reliable vehicles out there.

Personally, unless something profound changes, I won't own a BMW or Audi product outside of warranty. That's a headache I just don't want to deal with.

einehund

Established Member
I love my Focus ST, it's easy to find a CPO 2013 or 2014 in your price range.

It is fun to drive, gets decent MPG(26 on a mostly highway commute) and there is a good amount of room with the rear seats folded down.

I second this. My wife has a 2014 ST and it puts just as many smiles on my face as my Shelby. We just got back from an 1800 mile road trip in it and it is comfortable for looooong drives and still can do 140 mph on crap roads through the Navajo reservation.

canadianbullitt

Established Member
Hmm, I may have to go and take a Focus ST for a drive. Seem to be able to get 14s for a very good price with low mileage and still have some money left over from the Jeep. Never driven one but people seem to like them. Just not sure how I feel about FWD.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Hmm, I may have to go and take a Focus ST for a drive. Seem to be able to get 14s for a very good price with low mileage and still have some money left over from the Jeep. Never driven one but people seem to like them. Just not sure how I feel about FWD.

Its mostly unnoticeable (torque steer) unless you try to make it noticeable.

And like I said, if you dont like the idea of fwd, there are other cars in that range that are proper RWD that offer just as much if not more IMO.

Never_Enough

Established Member
If space is no concern i would say check out a Fiat Abarth. Stupid, stupid, stupid fun. The exhaust note alone is awesome and you can spec it with some really nice options. Its on the higher half of the 20k range though when you start optioning it out with sunroof, heated seats...etc. The dealer near me even stated that certain modifications do not void the warranty and can be bought directly from the dealer and installed by the dealer, similar to FRPP 3/36 parts.

For reference, i drove everything from a Beetle Turbo to the Abarth to the WRX STi. Anything with 4 cylinders and a turbo and i can say the Abarth and the FiST put the most smiles on my face. The MS3 scared me(torque steer MOFO) and the WRX annoyed me(stupid radio).

I ended up picking up the Fiesta ST for all around fun with 4 doors. 5k miles of smiles for right around 20k.
Did you also drive a MS6? I don't think I could ever pick a Fiat over it.

Users who are viewing this thread