Thinking about moving to FL

RI-SVT

TVS Powered
Established Member
My wife and I have been talking about moving in a yr or so, currently lived in the Northeast the last 30yrs, We have a lot of research to do on where exactly we will like to end up, I know many of the members here live in Florida, and I will like as much information as possible pros and cons, good area vs the ones to avoid or not desirable to live per say, We do have a 8yr old so school is important, We are low key people, so not looking for a night life, What's the pay like? I have 15yrs experience in hospitality, but currently been driving a commercial vehicle for the last 6yrs, What are the living expenses like? Food/healthcare, I appreciate the time of those that can be helpful.

VegasMichael

Established Member
I like the Northeast coast of Florida between Daytona and Jacksonville. Been going there on vacation or to visit family since the 70s. It's not overly crowded and has never gotten destroyed by a hurricane. As far as schools are concerned, if you're a good parent who works with your kids you'll be fine. I would steer clear of Miami. I used to live in Pensacola on the Panhandle but they routinely get buttf'd from storms.

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
I'm from upstate ny and my sister has lived in Florida for 6 years and my Dad was there for 5... summers there are brutal... it's a nice place to visit as they say imho .

Myusername

Established Member
I live in Clermont. It’s where the hills are in Florida. Reminds me of up north even tho I’ve lived in Florida my whole life. I grew up on the beach but love it here. It’s close to theme parks but far enough away from the tourists. Pay here is meh. There are good schools and bad schools but my biggest complaint is they are “sensitive” to each students complaints and my kid has been in trouble for being a actual 5th grade boy. It’s quiet where I’m at and I get the hometown feel. I’ve only lived here 2 yrs. The coasts are expensive. I vote Clermont/minneola area. The outskirts of Clermont where I am at next to groveland is peaceful and quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I hear the Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda area is really nice. They're very welcoming to people from the NE...they seem to love the accent in particular.
Dick, lol.
I personally like the west coast, but it's getting crazy on this side too. I've lived in this area for 28 years and boy has it changed. They can't widen/add roads fast enough.
Schools are good, health care depends, summers are a bitch with the heat, rain, storms and humidity.
What do you both do for a living?
As mentioned, visiting here vs living are two completely different animals.

Sirraf

Established Member
I lived in Florida for 6 years in the Tampa Bay areas and surrounding cities. I thought Dunedin was an awesome little town. Also Brandon, FL is outstanding. Also that part of Florida always has good luck avoiding hurricanes. Areas I did not like and wouldn't recommend living area Miami/Ft. Lauderdale, Orlando, Tallahassee.

If you are looking for a southern vibe you could look at the northwest part of Florida around Destin area. It's really considered lower Alabama. You will hear it referred to as LA. If you are looking for a low key beach vibe I would still recommend west coast Florida like Sarasota down to Ft. Myers. There is a nice drag strip in Bradenton. If it were me, I would move to central Florida in a more country area. You are still 1-2 hours away from the beach, and away from all the traffic and madness. Cost of living is cheaper. Cities near the ocean during spring and summertime are overrun with tourists. The fall and Winter are overrun with old people and RV's.

Be warned, Florida is a different kind of heat if you are not used to high humidity along with 100* temps. I'm talking very high humidity where you will start sweating as soon as you walk out of your house.

RI-SVT

TVS Powered
Established Member
Dick, lol.
I personally like the west coast, but it's getting crazy on this side too. I've lived in this area for 28 years and boy has it changed. They can't widen/add roads fast enough.
Schools are good, health care depends, summers are a bitch with the heat, rain, storms and humidity.
What do you both do for a living?
As mentioned, visiting here vs living are two completely different animals.

I'm a truck driver (auto hauler) my wife is in Insurance sales

RI-SVT

TVS Powered
Established Member
I lived in Florida for 6 years in the Tampa Bay areas and surrounding cities. I thought Dunedin was an awesome little town. Also Brandon, FL is outstanding. Also that part of Florida always has good luck avoiding hurricanes. Areas I did not like and wouldn't recommend living area Miami/Ft. Lauderdale, Orlando, Tallahassee.

If you are looking for a southern vibe you could look at the northwest part of Florida around Destin area. It's really considered lower Alabama. You will hear it referred to as LA. If you are looking for a low key beach vibe I would still recommend west coast Florida like Sarasota down to Ft. Myers. There is a nice drag strip in Bradenton. If it were me, I would move to central Florida in a more country area. You are still 1-2 hours away from the beach, and away from all the traffic and madness. Cost of living is cheaper. Cities near the ocean during spring and summertime are overrun with tourists. The fall and Winter are overrun with old people and RV's.

Be warned, Florida is a different kind of heat if you are not used to high humidity along with 100* temps. I'm talking very high humidity where you will start sweating as soon as you walk out of your house.

We're taking a vacation in August to go see the areas, my sister in law lives near Miami (Pembroke pines) is a ok area, I've been to Jacksonville years ago, Orlando for vacations, but that's about it

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
We're taking a vacation in August to go see the areas, my sister in law lives near Miami (Pembroke pines) is a ok area, I've been to Jacksonville years ago, Orlando for vacations, but that's about it
Check out Parrish. Right between Tampa and Sarasota. Semi rural area but growing. Police dont play here. Just a lot of northeasterners but if you carry a pocket translator you will do fine.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
My wife and I are looking at moving to Florida also in about three years. She is from Florida and all her family is there. We will be looking in the Jacksonville Area; most likely Ponte Vedra and St Augustine due to my work.

We have family in Beverly Hills, Palm Coast, Palm Beach, and The Villages.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Miami , Ft Lauderdale and Palm Beach has a lot of jobs but a lot of traffic. Especially the further south you go. Martin and St. Lucie are a tad quieter and the cost of living does drop.
They are expanding west in Palm Beach with a lot of residential construction.
Martin and St. Lucie don't offer a lot of night life compared to the three counties to the south.
Just avoid White City/ NE PSL for the moment. Gioblastoma scare going on there.

Can't help you on the pay, as I work in engineering.

Last edited:

_Snake_

Established Member
Check out Parrish. Right between Tampa and Sarasota. Semi rural area but growing. Police dont play here. Just a lot of northeasterners but if you carry a pocket translator you will do fine.

I’m in Parrish.

Agree with the rest on the summers. Stepping outside feels like stopping your clothes dryer halfway through and climbing in. It’s brutal.

Users who are viewing this thread