Thinking about getting a Z06.

99SnakeBit

White Lightning !
Established Member
So it been about 3 months since I sold the Lightning and im getting the itch to get back in something, and ive been doing a lot of looking at Z06's. Ive read about the head issues on the 427s and was wondering what you guys think about pulling the trigger on one of these cars? Im looking at year models of about 07-12 my budget being right at 50k, and i prefer to have a bone stock one with the lowest mileage possible. Im having a hard time wrestling with the fact of paying this much for a car that I know has the possibility of having a major engine issue with these screwy heads. Granted its a easy fix especially if your planning on modding the car anyway, but the underline principal is still there for a ' super car ' to have this problem right off the bat. Thoughts opinions? Here is a question, would it be smarter to get a Shelby Cobra either the 350 or 500 instead? I like those too, but have always wanted a Z06.

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
Im pretty sure that the gt350's will be back to msrp within a year. Same thing happened to the gt500, rs etc. You have to consider with a gt350 you get a warranty, which is piece of mind. Let me ask, how often will you droive tis car?

99SnakeBit

White Lightning !
Established Member
couple times a week at best, no big milage, just a toy is all. About like my lightning was....

Sirraf

Established Member
If you get a C6Z, get an 08+. They made several improvements that year and the years after. 06 had the roof recalls and the 07 had needle bearing issues.

Quik Z06

Established Member
Have you driven a Z06? I sold my 02Z a while back and always figured I'd get back into another Z later on. Fast forward a few years I was looking for a C6Z and had one lined up, put a deposit on it etc. Well, that ended up falling through and I'm glad it did. I was on the fence about getting a Z or a newer CTSV, I ended up getting a V. A couple months later my buddy gets a C6Z and we meet up so we can drive each other's car. First I drove his Z, it was nice, felt pretty quick but damn the ride IMO felt pretty harsh. I don't remember my old Z being that stiff. We then take my V out and he loved it. He said he didn't want to drive it too much longer because it was already making him regret buying a Z.

My point...if you haven't driven one or it's been a while, maybe you should drive one first to see if you like it.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
So it been about 3 months since I sold the Lightning and im getting the itch to get back in something, and ive been doing a lot of looking at Z06's. Ive read about the head issues on the 427s and was wondering what you guys think about pulling the trigger on one of these cars? Im looking at year models of about 07-12 my budget being right at 50k, and i prefer to have a bone stock one with the lowest mileage possible. Im having a hard time wrestling with the fact of paying this much for a car that I know has the possibility of having a major engine issue with these screwy heads. Granted its a easy fix especially if your planning on modding the car anyway, but the underline principal is still there for a ' super car ' to have this problem right off the bat. Thoughts opinions? Here is a question, would it be smarter to get a Shelby Cobra either the 350 or 500 instead? I like those too, but have always wanted a Z06.

They never really fixed the valvetrain issues on any year vehicle. You can see failures all over the Vette forums for all years. The earlier ones were produced in higher volumes so you tend to see more of those. It's an inherent design problem on that engine that increases the likelihood of failure. They never got the valvetrain and cam profile fully dialed for durability in the design phase of that engine. Makes good power when it's working but the valvetrain is unstable. If you buy an LS7 you need to hold back 5K for repairs just in case. A few guys switched from the C6 Z to 13-14 GT500 for exactly that issue.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
If I was going to buy a Z it would already have heads and cam done. You aren't going to pay that much more over a stock one, won't have to worry about dropping a valve, and you pick up a good bit of power. 08+ was also the first year for the TR-6060 IIRC.

lilcoop03

Established Member
I sold my KB 03 Cobra and got a very nice 2008 Z06 with 26k miles. The car is tastefully modded and the heads were already addressed and upgraded just for peace of mind. I absolutely love the car. It is a lot of fun not just in the straights but also in the turns. If its not a daily, who cares that it doesn't ride like a Cadillac? Mine is lowered on stock bolts and it has DRM bilsteins. The ride is not bad and the car can be a road racing monster. It still has the stock cam and is making 526/480. Just a cam away from 600whp, but Im telling you its a blast like it is already. You need to drive one.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Have you driven a Z06? I sold my 02Z a while back and always figured I'd get back into another Z later on. Fast forward a few years I was looking for a C6Z and had one lined up, put a deposit on it etc. Well, that ended up falling through and I'm glad it did. I was on the fence about getting a Z or a newer CTSV, I ended up getting a V. A couple months later my buddy gets a C6Z and we meet up so we can drive each other's car. First I drove his Z, it was nice, felt pretty quick but damn the ride IMO felt pretty harsh. I don't remember my old Z being that stiff. We then take my V out and he loved it. He said he didn't want to drive it too much longer because it was already making him regret buying a Z.

My point...if you haven't driven one or it's been a while, maybe you should drive one first to see if you like it.
This is excellent advice.

You really need to drive one, and maybe even a CTS-V. The Caddy (late model) is an awesome vehicle. In the end you'll need to be comfortable with your choice. Decide whether or not rear seats (however usable) or a plus, too.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
+1 on driving one first.

OP is coming from a lightning, I don't care if that thing is slammed, it's still not lower than a c6z. Totally different seating position too. 13/14 GT500 would be a good choice too, white or all blue gt500 would be sick.

CGLhawk260

Established Member
I had a 2007 Z06 tuned/headers.intake, It was a fast car and i really liked it. I sold it after 16 months because i wasn't driving it enough. A two seater sucks when you have kids. Also, it had 43K miles on the engine with no warranty i was uncomfortable owning the car without a warranty because of the valvetrain issues. The engine costs 15k if you drop a valve. My wife hated the car because it was low to the ground and the stiff suspension. Go for a Shelby GT 500 instead. I almost bought one but went with the Hellcat because of the auto transmission.

99SnakeBit

White Lightning !
Established Member
wow thanks for all the replys guys, no ive NEVER drove a z06..........ha dont even know anybody personally that has one come to think of it. Ive rode in a standard c5 vett before but thats the extent of my experience with them. Like someone said here, its not going to be a dd, just a toy to play with and enjoy so the ride quality really isint something for me to worry with. Another good point here was its not that great of a toy since its a 2 seater ( if you have kids) which I do ..........two boys ages 14 and 6. Believe it or not I was wanting a Marauder for a while but when i finally did sell my truck I just lost intrest in the big merc. Ive always like the z06's from reading about them,seeing all their paise they get onine and of course the endless youtube vids on them. If it were not for the head issue I dont think Id have a second thought. The new 350s and 500s are my other option, but i hate going from a heavy ass lightning right back to a heavy ass car..... does that seem petty to you guys?

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
My '13 gt500 felt heavier and more awkward than my ctsv. The caddy had better breaks, and would have probably been faster with a pulley/tune. Neither car holds a candle to the vette in terms of handling, and overall experience. If you have any consideration to daily use, get the caddy. Otherwise, ride in a c6z. Why buy a low mileage, stock one---these motors haven't been tested. I'd rather get one with 20-30k miles or more. If the motor was going to pop, it would have likely done so. Better yet, buy one that has already had the valvetrain issue addressed. Mine is an '09 with a mild cam, milled/ported heads, and 580rwhp.

Never_Enough

Established Member
Valve issue is overblown. Yes, it happens, but not to every damn one like some idiots think. Plenty of high mile C6Z running around just fine. I might sell mine in the Spring. Love the car, but working from home limits driving opportunities. Gonna go test drive some cars & see if anything else jumps out at me. I doubt it will. You just cannot beat bang for your buck with a C6Z.

Never_Enough

Established Member
I had a 2007 Z06 tuned/headers.intake, It was a fast car and i really liked it. I sold it after 16 months because i wasn't driving it enough. A two seater sucks when you have kids. Also, it had 43K miles on the engine with no warranty i was uncomfortable owning the car without a warranty because of the valvetrain issues. The engine costs 15k if you drop a valve. My wife hated the car because it was low to the ground and the stiff suspension. Go for a Shelby GT 500 instead. I almost bought one but went with the Hellcat because of the auto transmission.

You can buy an LS7 for much less than $15k.......

Never_Enough

Established Member
If you get a C6Z, get an 08+. They made several improvements that year and the years after. 06 had the roof recalls and the 07 had needle bearing issues.

06 & 07 are fine. The real improvement came in 2012 w/the new seats. 2008+ got the updated trans, but my 2007 drives just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread