Thinking about getting a Z06.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Have you considered a high option GS? They look fairly use tickle and the ls3 is a more reliable motor if that is a concern.

With that said the valve train issues are a bit overblown. They are relevant enough to check during inspection though.

I loved my 08 Z but it's not a perfect car. They are harsh and a bit unforgiving at times. My biggest complaint was the balsa floorboards. Unless you always keep the bi-mode exhaust closed the exhaust rattles the floors pretty decently. Tire are also limited based on size and incredibly expensive.

Otherwise they are a joy to drive and own.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
I loved my '06Z and really regret selling it, will be looking at getting another one this year since prices have come down quite a bit. Go test drive one, that was all it took for me.

Never_Enough

Established Member
Have you considered a high option GS? They look fairly use tickle and the ls3 is a more reliable motor if that is a concern.

With that said the valve train issues are a bit overblown. They are relevant enough to check during inspection though.

I loved my 08 Z but it's not a perfect car. They are harsh and a bit unforgiving at times. My biggest complaint was the balsa floorboards. Unless you always keep the bi-mode exhaust closed the exhaust rattles the floors pretty decently. Tire are also limited based on size and incredibly expensive.

Otherwise they are a joy to drive and own.

My exhaust does not rattle my floors. No car is perfect. It's a street legal race car, not a Bentley.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Not a Z but I drove several 2012 GS's and really liked them. I'd love to add one to the stable some day. I'd probably get a GS too, just for the t-tops.

Never_Enough

Established Member
Not a Z but I drove several 2012 GS's and really liked them. I'd love to add one to the stable some day. I'd probably get a GS too, just for the t-tops.

Targo top. There are no ttops available on a C6...

Kiohtee

Established Member
Am I wrong in assuming that t-top stood for targa top?

I could easily see why you would think that, but they're two completely different things. T-tops are the roofs that most '98-02 F-Body cars were equipped with, while the targa tops are what the Corvettes, Supras, etc. are usually equipped with. :beer:

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
I could easily see why you would think that, but they're two completely different things. T-tops are the roofs that most '98-02 F-Body cars were equipped with, while the targa tops are what the Corvettes, Supras, etc. are usually equipped with. :beer:

Today I learned. Looked it up even. Never realized there was a significant difference. Although it doesnt appear GM ever referred to it as either, rather just "removable roof panels" in the brochures I could find.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
I always thought "T-Top" denoted the profile/shape of the roof with panels removed.

Just checked country-wide autotrader and wow, mid-$30k's for '08+ with decent mileage in my two favorite colors - Black and LMB!

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
I always thought "T-Top" denoted the profile/shape of the roof with panels removed.

Just checked country-wide autotrader and wow, mid-$30k's for '08+ with decent mileage in my two favorite colors - Black and LMB!

I related it to that as well, I didnt remember the lack of a "T" bar on the new ones, even though I took the roof panels off and played with them on the several I drove lol

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Today I learned. Looked it up even. Never realized there was a significant difference. Although it doesnt appear GM ever referred to it as either, rather just "removable roof panels" in the brochures I could find.

Porsche may own the copyright on on the name Targa.

HandBanana

Established Member
I too am in the same boat, considering gen 2 CTS-V, C6 Z, GT500, etc for next car. Honestly, the best bang for the buck IMO is an LS3 Vette (08+). HCI N20 cars run strong as hell and the LS3 is a little more sturdy than the still badass LS7. You can get a nice 08-09 LS3 vette with mods even for under 30k. That's the route I'd go if you are heavily considering a C6 Z. GL.

Never_Enough

Established Member

Last year for LMB was 2007.

Never_Enough

Established Member
I too am in the same boat, considering gen 2 CTS-V, C6 Z, GT500, etc for next car. Honestly, the best bang for the buck IMO is an LS3 Vette (08+). HCI N20 cars run strong as hell and the LS3 is a little more sturdy than the still badass LS7. You can get a nice 08-09 LS3 vette with mods even for under 30k. That's the route I'd go if you are heavily considering a C6 Z. GL.

Z06 is not just a base car w/an LS7 tossed in.

My friend with a 2009 Vert is ditching his e-force for a centri blower & meth + a cam this month & the car should be putting down 700 WHP.

MTBSully

Established Member
In the exact same boat. Sold my turbo 800+hp 2004 cobra for a c6z in december. Still searching for the right car.

HandBanana

Established Member
Z06 is not just a base car w/an LS7 tossed in.

My friend with a 2009 Vert is ditching his e-force for a centri blower & meth + a cam this month & the car should be putting down 700 WHP.

No shit. Thanks for pointing out the obvious...? A C6 Z is a great car, I never denied that.

08mojo

Established Member
Haha, lots of different opinions here on the C6Z. My favorite is the comment on the floorboards. The floorboards are made of balsa wood sandwiched between carbon reinforced panels. They are STURDY--no rattles or anything other than a solid feel. A lot of you guys must have had some plush riding cars in the past, because my C6Z rides nice and smooth. In fact, most of the people that ride in the car are surprised by docile it rides, until you go WOT...

The valve guide issue affects all model years of the LS7--it is not from valvetrain instability, but rather poor machining. This is an easy fix. If you are mechanically inclined and DIY, your cost would be around $1,200 all in. If you are not, you are looking at $2,000-$2,500. Don't be afraid to do the heads yourself. It is very simple to do on the LS7--no special tools, no complicated cam timing, no reprogramming...just unbolt the old ones and bolt on the new/reworked replacements.

• 2006 first model year
  • 2007 no changes from 2006. There were some issues with the trunion bearing failing in the rockers. This is a stupid simple fix--it should not be a concern.
  • 08 models have a bit more refined interiors (center console, leather wrapped dash/door panel options (3lz)). The key fobs were updated. The tr-6060 was introduced.
  • 2009 the axles were upgraded with larger diameter/more splines at the wheel hub. 2009 also saw a larger oil sump to help with oil starvation issues from high g loads in left hand turns--this is only a concern on tracked cars that encounted LONG 4+ second high-g left hand turns. This is not a concern at all on a street car. 2009 also saw an upgraded oil cooler...or heater depending how you want to look at it.
  • 2010-2012 interior refinement (steering wheel controls and seats). Magentic ride control was introduced in this time frame. The stability/traction control switched over to a more advanced Bosch unit.
  • 2013 Engines got a new bearings, which has lead to some failures.

For $50k, you can get a really nice Z06. Be sure to include the cost of repairing the heads--I would have this done/inspected on any C6Z06 unless the previous owner had documentation of the heads being rebuilt. I bought my 2008 a year ago with 6,300 miles for way under $50k.

As others said, go drive one. I was looking at e92 M3s, gt500, terminator, audi s5 to be my next fun car. The c6z was not really on my list because it was a bit more than I wanted to spend. After test driving a few, I knew it checked all the right boxes for me: light, raw, simple.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
Haha, lots of different opinions here on the C6Z. My favorite is the comment on the floorboards. The floorboards are made of balsa wood sandwiched between carbon reinforced panels. They are STURDY--no rattles or anything other than a solid feel. A lot of you guys must have had some plush riding cars in the past, because my C6Z rides nice and smooth. In fact, most of the people that ride in the car are surprised by docile it rides, until you go WOT...

The valve guide issue affects all model years of the LS7--it is not from valvetrain instability, but rather poor machining. This is an easy fix. If you are mechanically inclined and DIY, your cost would be around $1,200 all in. If you are not, you are looking at $2,000-$2,500. Don't be afraid to do the heads yourself. It is very simple to do on the LS7--no special tools, no complicated cam timing, no reprogramming...just unbolt the old ones and bolt on the new/reworked replacements.

• 2006 first model year
  • 2007 no changes from 2006. There were some issues with the trunion bearing failing in the rockers. This is a stupid simple fix--it should not be a concern.
  • 08 models have a bit more refined interiors (center console, leather wrapped dash/door panel options (3lz)). The key fobs were updated. The tr-6060 was introduced.
  • 2009 the axles were upgraded with larger diameter/more splines at the wheel hub. 2009 also saw a larger oil sump to help with oil starvation issues from high g loads in left hand turns--this is only a concern on tracked cars that encounted LONG 4+ second high-g left hand turns. This is not a concern at all on a street car. 2009 also saw an upgraded oil cooler...or heater depending how you want to look at it.
  • 2010-2012 interior refinement (steering wheel controls and seats). Magentic ride control was introduced in this time frame. The stability/traction control switched over to a more advanced Bosch unit.

For $50k, you can get a really nice Z06. Be sure to include the cost of repairing the heads--I would have this done/inspected on any C6Z06 unless the previous owner had documentation of the heads being rebuilt. I bought my 2008 a year ago with 6,300 miles for way under $50k.

As others said, go drive one. I was looking at e92 M3s, gt500, terminator, audi s5 to be my next fun car. The c6z was not really on my list because it was a bit more than I wanted to spend. After test driving a few, I knew it checked all the right boxes for me: light, raw, simple.

Couldn't have said it better. Having all 3 of my kids at least 50% of the time, I have very little need for my z. I just can't sell it though, at least not yet. Hard to part with a 3250lb, near 600rwhp car with great handling, aero, brakes, etc.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
Last year for LMB was 2007.

Whoops, you're right, I was looking for Black '08s+ because they are generally the same price as an equivalent '06-'07 in other colors plus the TR-6060. My last C6Z was DSOM but always wanted the LMB.

• 2006 first model year

This should be copy/pasted to every C6Z thread, excellent information!

Users who are viewing this thread