Things I've learned on my move/road trip from Vegas to NY

VegasMichael

Established Member
1. Road construction is a mess. Give yourself time if travelling.
2. Las Vegas drivers really are worse than all else.
3. Utah has great signs encouraging people to drive safely. Vegas has none.
4. Northern Utah and western Wyoming are absolutely beautiful.
5. Driving east from central Wyoming to Iowa is flat ranchland and farmland.
5. Rural Midwesterners are some of the most friendly and polite people you will ever meet.
6. McDonald's isn't as bad as I thought. Outback still sucks.
7. I drove 65mph in the right lane even though the limit was 80 and nobody got pissed.
8. A lot of 18 wheelers on the road as well as UHAULS and RVs. Saw very few big moving companies like United, Bekins, Mayflower, etc. Guess their outrageous prices turned people away.
9. Highway drivers overall are very conscientious. Pulled to the left for people on the shoulder, religiously signalled, didn't tailgate. Had a wild episode on I-80 in Wyoming when a pick-up screamed passed me with five cop cars on his ass. Caught up to them about 10-15 miles later and the boys in blue got their man.
10. No need to make hotel reservations in advance. Had no problem getting a room no matter where I decided to stop.
11. Roads in Illinois are horrible. So many holes/ruts/bumps, etc.
12. Don't count on signage to indicate what's ahead. When I got to Ohio there was almost no indication that the next exit had hotels/restaurants/gas stations. Earlier states were better well marked in that area.
13. Love's travel plaza has everything you might want while on the road.

Please add anything you noticed while going on long road trips.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Funny you mention hotel reservations. The past two years on our trip out west and back on I-70 we just booked a room as we were driving and decided where we would stop. Assumed that wouldn’t be the case this year, but doesn’t matter anyway because we are taking out new fifth wheel RV and staying in it. We leave tomorrow for CO, I’ll have to make a note of hotel availability and see what it’s like along the way

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Rochester folks are miserable while driving, they have no patience or curiosity. The left lane road conditions are always better then the right lane. Way more troopers on the interstate then anywhere else. In general, Men over 50 have a chip on thier shoulder. One will see younger adults in their PJ's in Rochester more then any where else We've been.

Lastly: Women are almost as loud as PA. Women. Enjoy!

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
When I moved from Seattle to Maine I experienced pretty much the same thing. Illinois highways are the worst and they have the highest price tolls. Ohio was pool table flat and had horrible roads. I did not see any of Wisconsin because the entire State was fogged in, could not see more than 150' in front of the truck across that whole damn State.
We made reservations at motel/hotels in advance for the entire trip beforehand, I wanted to make sure that there was room to get my 50' of truck/trailer in and out of the premises as I did not want to park on the street and we wanted to make sure that having dogs in the rooms was allowed. We planned for about 575 miles per day which worked out real well. On the road by 7 a.m. stop for lunch/fuel, walk the dogs, into the night motel/hotel by 4:30-5:00, unwind, relax and find a place for dinner. Well rested for the next leg of the journey.
Since I was towing I pretty much stayed under 65 mph for the whole trip. Never had a close call on the road, stayed on I-90 for almost the whole way except for a cut across in Montana to South Dakota that saved about 50-60 miles, but was on secondary roads through the Indian Reservation. That was interesting, in hind sight we should have stayed on the Interstate. Lol.

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
That's on the reasons I decided not to move to So FL. I prefer to drive most places and it's easier being more centrally located.
For me. It’s way too cold up there in the winter. Shit, even in January down here the cold fronts are tough to deal with. I like at least 80 with a touch of humidity and a sea breeze. I’m most comfortable at about 88. Anything below 75 is death.
I’m still hitting the beaches down here but in another week or so cape cod will become more comfortable than Naples so I’ll pack up and leave for three months.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
For me. It’s way too cold up there in the winter. Shit, even in January down here the cold fronts are tough to deal with. I like at least 80 with a touch of humidity and a sea breeze. I’m most comfortable at about 88. Anything below 75 is death.
I’m still hitting the beaches down here but in another week or so cape cod will become more comfortable than Naples so I’ll pack up and leave for three months.

I do the opposite, I tend to go to FL in the winter. Where I am in SC is perfect except for about 2 months in the winter.

DaBigBone

Established Member
Drove to FL a few weeks ago and I must say, the further south I got the highways got so much smoother than what I'm stuck with in Ohio. I imagine the weather plays a big part in that obviously

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
Drove to FL a few weeks ago and I must say, the further south I got the highways got so much smoother than what I'm stuck with in Ohio. I imagine the weather plays a big part in that obviously
Further south in Fla you go:
- quality of drivers goes down
- selfishness of drivers goes up

Users who are viewing this thread