Things I've learned on my move/road trip from Vegas to NY

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I go from central FL to NC frequently (almost Virginia), as long as there are 3 lanes it's usually not too bad. Two lane sections end up being a cluster **** since it all it takes is one idiot in the left lane to ruin it all

jaxbusa

Established Member
Things that I notice on a road trip:

Motorists tailgate regardless of what lane or speed you go.

People don’t drive a steady speed. I use cruise control most of the time and notice this.

Urinals always have a quart of urine on the floor in front of them. I want to burn my shoes after a road trip.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
People don’t drive a steady speed. I use cruise control most of the time and notice this.
This!
Drives me absolutely bonkers when I pass/get passed by the same person several times. I set my cruise and play leapfrog. Hill - they slow down On their phone - they slow down The second I start to overtake them, they speed back up. Eventually I'll take it up to 90mph just to get away from them.

Also, especially over the last year or so, I feel like I can never drive fast enough to keep people off my ass. I'm a typical 5mph over kind of person in most cases, but I find that I can go 10-15 over and still have someone glued to my bumper. I'm sorry, but I'm not willing to go 40+ in a 30mph residential-ish area just cuz you're late for work.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Oh man the leap frog game pisses me off.

A lady some years back took the cake though, going from Denver to Utah for a track weekend with my buddy. I was in my RS and he was in his Camaro. Rolling along at 81 in a 75. Some lady in a Subaru wouldn't play the leap frog game, she would play the blind spot game. She refused to get out of the left lane and would only hang in my blind spot. I called my buddy after like 20 miles of this and asked him wtf was going on. He suggested a short jaunt to build some distance. After 30 seconds of 100+ mph we put a solid lead on her and knocked it back down to 81. Not even a minute later she comes flying up and parks it in my blind spot again.

Called my buddy again, told him we need to stop for fuel and food. Got back on the highway and probably an hour later caught up to her in the left lane on someone else's blind spot doing like 70. After getting on her bumper for a while she eventually moved over, only to follow us and hang in our blind spot again.

It was like a solid 150 miles of dealing with this bitch until she pulled off for fuel I assume.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Urinals always have a quart of urine on the floor in front of them. I want to burn my shoes after a road trip

another good reason to eat God's chosen chicken sammich if they're open, dont seem to have that problem so much

jaxbusa

Established Member
If a vehicle is going slow and holding up the left lane and I’m behind it, I usually get someone flying up and tailgating me. They will sometimes wildly pass on the right and give me the stink eye when they pass. I had it happen the other day when I was the fifth car in line. I guess because I wouldn’t budge from them tailgating. He was in a large truck so I’m sure he could see the line of cars waiting for the slow poke to move over, but somehow his small wang energy was focused on me being the problem in that situation.

01yellercobra

Established Member
If a vehicle is going slow and holding up the left lane and I’m behind it, I usually get someone flying up and tailgating me. They will sometimes wildly pass on the right and give me the stink eye when they pass. I had it happen the other day when I was the fifth car in line. I guess because I wouldn’t budge from them tailgating. He was in a large truck so I’m sure he could see the line of cars waiting for the slow poke to move over, but somehow his small wang energy was focused on me being the problem in that situation.

I get that a lot when I'm in my truck. A couple weekends ago I was towing our can am home and in a line of cars going over a mountain. The lead car wasn't quite going the speed limit, but faster than the semi in the right lane. It was funny to watch the Honda almost hit my trailer, fly to the right, almost rear end the semi, and then watch him pout as we all drove by and wouldn't let him in.

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
It's my favorite when there's a semi in the left lane passing slower traffic on the right and all the drivers coming up behind have zero patience so they slide to the right lane thusly inhibiting the semi's ability to move out of the left lane.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Funny you mention hotel reservations. The past two years on our trip out west and back on I-70 we just booked a room as we were driving and decided where we would stop. Assumed that wouldn’t be the case this year, but doesn’t matter anyway because we are taking out new fifth wheel RV and staying in it. We leave tomorrow for CO, I’ll have to make a note of hotel availability and see what it’s like along the way

Worse case, Walmart allows overnight RV'ers to stay in their parking lot for free.

Easy way to boondock if you need to.

kazman

King of Kazmania
Established Member
Premium Member
Not here they don't. Couple a years ago you could, but the parking lots started looking like an unorganized KOA. So up went the 'no overnight parking - violators will be towed' signs.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Worse case, Walmart allows overnight RV'ers to stay in their parking lot for free.

Easy way to boondock if you need to.
Yeah, that was last resort. We stayed at some pretty nice campgrounds in Kentucky, Missouri, and Kansas on the way out. Ike Gauntlet and Vail Pass were interesting when scaled out at 30,400lb

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah, that was last resort. We stayed at some pretty nice campgrounds in Kentucky, Missouri, and Kansas on the way out. Ike Gauntlet and Vail Pass were interesting when scaled out at 30,400lb

Awesome! we have a trip coming up in July.. can't wait.

MDShelby

Established Member
Premium Member
People want to go the fastest they can without getting caught speeding. So they work their way up in traffic and then follow the fastest car in either lane, regardless of the speed. Chances are the cop will only pull over the first car. If that car happens to exit, then that person will get in behind the next fastest car.

I don't know if that is common everywhere, but is here as we have lots of transient traffic headed from he metro areas to the beach.

Zemedici

Established Member
People want to go the fastest they can without getting caught speeding. So they work their way up in traffic and then follow the fastest car in either lane, regardless of the speed. Chances are the cop will only pull over the first car. If that car happens to exit, then that person will get in behind the next fastest car.

I don't know if that is common everywhere, but is here as we have lots of transient traffic headed from he metro areas to the beach.

Drove from Atlanta to Orlando, and back this past weekend.

Noticed this same thing. I'm the fast guy, dude will be on my ass at 90-100mph.

I get into middle lane to let him pass, he doesnt pass.

Like bro that's not ****ing good driving, idk who taught you that.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member

I dont like being the fastest person on the road but I'm not tailgating that person either. If you're running 90 I'll run 90 with you but I'm gonna sit back about a 1/8 mile unless there's a few others between us doing that speed as well. If you exit I'll drop back down to 79 until the next rabbit/radar sponge comes along.

Users who are viewing this thread