Thermostats and Fan Settings

SnakeBoostE85

whipped and korned
Established Member
I wondering if I should be running a cooler thermostat and perhaps change my low and high speed fan settings. Curious what others have done. Is there a good reason to allow the car to get up to 190-200 degrees and only kick on fans around 200+?

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Should you do it? Yes. Yes, you should. Lots of folks have done it - I've done it on both my cars and they run nice and cool. Check out the Reischperformance website.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Good stuff...

Looks like you can get a 170* degree thermostat on rockauto for less than $5.00.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...harged,1425035,cooling+system,thermostat,2200

Any good reason why I should spend $63.00 on the Reischperformance version?

See sig for the Stant 170° - I sell them for $38 shipped.

Those MotoRad thermostats don't fit, they are too short and won't seal the crossover.

Plenty to read: http://www.terminator-cobra.com/cooling.htm#170°_Thermostat

Correct dimensions:

Thermostat%20dimensions.jpg

bigmoose

Established Member
You have to be careful with other lower temp tstats. While they fit in the housing the bypass plate sometimes is too short essentially not fully closing of the bypass.

Get the right one here for less:

www.termi-stat.com

SnakeBoostE85

whipped and korned
Established Member
hey thanks everyone! Joe - I'll be ordering 1 from you via PayPal as you instruct on your site.

Thanks!

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
No worries. I’ve been slacking and haven’t put the buttons up on the site, but have sold a few hundred + so far. I’ll get to it one of these days, but otherwise, you can just shoot $38 to my PP: [email protected]. That covers fees and shipping as well.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Should you do it? Yes. Yes, you should. Lots of folks have done it - I've done it on both my cars and they run nice and cool. Check out the Reischperformance website.
This is the link to Joel Miller's Reisch Performance website. Both he and Joe offer an exceptional lower temp thermostat. You can't go wrong with either one.
https://reischeperformance.com/index.html

hotcobra03

Established Member
just something to think about..

I did the 170 ,bigger radiator

it only gets cold here for a short time.

I noticed the heat is not as hot as before

SnakeBoostE85

whipped and korned
Established Member
I wondered how the cabin heater would be effected. I live in Colorado and we get a hell of a winter, but its not my daily driver. I only take it out on nice days. I know the heater with the factory thermostat is extremely hot, I usually have to turn it down after a minute or two.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
You'll still make heat. I've had mine out on cooler days and still find myself turning the heater down as well.

gt347mustang

Established Member
I wondered how the cabin heater would be effected. I live in Colorado and we get a hell of a winter, but its not my daily driver. I only take it out on nice days. I know the heater with the factory thermostat is extremely hot, I usually have to turn it down after a minute or two.

It'll be fine. I dd my turbo cobra through the winter in CO with a 180 stat and the heater got hot enough it was obnoxious.

SnakeBoostE85

whipped and korned
Established Member
Installed the new thermostat yesterday and modified my fan settings, works great! Thanks jrgoffin

I could tell the heater is a little cooler, but it was so hot before it really doesn't make any difference.

SnakeBoostE85

whipped and korned
Established Member
I have the SCT pro racer software. Here’s what I set everything to based on reischperformance recommendations:

Screen Shot 2017-12-10 at 1.06.36 PM.png

Users who are viewing this thread