There is No reason to Buy an F150 EV OR Ecoboost.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
The main reason I sold my 2014 Ruby Red Raptor was rust, and it was a FL truck before me.
It stumped the body shop people I know on how it was rusting around the frame near the engine bay.

Only a matter of time before the rockers rusted through too at the rate it was going.
loved the truck, but didn't want a rust bucket in 5 years. Good timing with the COVID trade in prices.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
IMO, the old steel body truck was a little tougher. Plus you could get the 6.2 in it. The downside is that they rust horribly.

I know that first hand. My 2012 Raptor had to get new Rockers on both sides, covered under warranty. It was a Texas truck too.

Repair picture 2 - after weld.JPG

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
Just FYI - mine did not have a sunroof.

ever take yours to the beach or costal towns or anything? I have two friends with 2014 coyote f150's, one is a CCSB California truck one is a ECLB which came from texas, both are still rust free top to bottom. Surprised to read about people in here in generally rust free areas having rocker rot.

GM wasn't any better in those years, the rear half ton fenders are all rusted to hell around here.

We sold our 2010 GMC Sierra SLE with about 62k miles in 2019 (for the 19 f150) because the bed was just starting to rust around the wheel wells. It was rusting on the inside and barely bubbling on the outside. I pulled a tail light out and it was really rusty inside as GM put no kind of wheel well liner in there so it'd kick all the road shit up and collect inside the bed.

That was a good truck mechanically, aside from an evap code it never gave us any trouble, but yeah the rust proofing on those GMT900's sucked. I don't think it ever got better since GM just treats the frame with a wax instead of paint.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I have two friends with 2014 coyote f150's, one is a CCSB California truck one is a ECLB which came from texas, both are still rust free top to bottom. Surprised to read about people in here in generally rust free areas having rocker rot.

all these posts always make me nervous to check my 2012 but thankfully I haven't found any issues

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
ever take yours to the beach or costal towns or anything? I have two friends with 2014 coyote f150's, one is a CCSB California truck one is a ECLB which came from texas, both are still rust free top to bottom. Surprised to read about people in here in generally rust free areas having rocker rot.

We sold our 2010 GMC Sierra SLE with about 62k miles in 2019 (for the 19 f150) because the bed was just starting to rust around the wheel wells. It was rusting on the inside and barely bubbling on the outside. I pulled a tail light out and it was really rusty inside as GM put no kind of wheel well liner in there so it'd kick all the road shit up and collect inside the bed.

That was a good truck mechanically, aside from an evap code it never gave us any trouble, but yeah the rust proofing on those GMT900's sucked. I don't think it ever got better since GM just treats the frame with a wax instead of paint.

Yes, plenty of late model GM rust horror stories.

I had a 2012 Sierra and noticed the paint being chipped really bad on driver side rear fender and spent $800 to repaint as the chips were starting to rust. I did have fender liners.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member

I have in-laws in Corpus so the truck was there from time to time, but never more than a weekend. I never once took it on a beach.

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
Sheesh, doesnt anybody rust proof their shit??? Been using Lanolin on my 19 since new, three and a half winters later in NE Ohio and the frame and other bits underneath are still rust free. My wifes Legacy has 16 winters on it and has zero rot anywhere.

Started with Fluid film, then WoolWax and now using PB Blaster Surface Shield with a sprayer and compressor. For the wifes G70 im gonna be using Yamashield on the doors, hood, trunk lid and engine bay (visible stuff) and Surface Shield on everything else underneath that I can pull a cover off of.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
Sheesh, doesnt anybody rust proof their shit??? Been using Lanolin on my 19 since new, three and a half winters later in NE Ohio and the frame and other bits underneath are still rust free. My wifes Legacy has 16 winters on it and has zero rot anywhere.

Started with Fluid film, then WoolWax and now using PB Blaster Surface Shield with a sprayer and compressor. For the wifes G70 im gonna be using Yamashield on the doors, hood, trunk lid and engine bay (visible stuff) and Surface Shield on everything else underneath that I can pull a cover off of.

I have a tub of fluid film but once I use that up I was looking to switch to woolwax as I've seen in some videos (IE Projectfarm) it holds up to water better. I'm curious what made you move on from woolwax?

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I read it was a combination of both. On mine, I checked and the drains were not clogged at all. But I did read others that had them clogged badly.

Needless to say, I traded in that 2012 shortly after.

I heard water intrusion thru the 3rd brake light led to the rust on the cab corners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member

I've tried many. I use Amsoil HD Metal Protect. It works well, better than any others I've tried.

I haven't tried these yet:
Pb Blaster Surface Shield
Cosmoline RP342
Berkebile PFC

Last edited:

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
I have a tub of fluid film but once I use that up I was looking to switch to woolwax as I've seen in some videos (IE Projectfarm) it holds up to water better. I'm curious what made you move on from woolwax?
In my experience Fluid Film would wash off the high contact areas from water splash/spray when driving and Wool Wax never spread or creeped as well as FF. I stumbled across this vid when looking for an upgrade to my FF sprayer and this will be my second winter using PB Surface Shield. That dude confirmed what I saw so I gave it a shot and have no plans on going back. Only reason I am using Yamashield on the wifes G70 is because its white and I dont want to muck up the visible areas on her new car.

Users who are viewing this thread