The state of music is pathetic...

RustyRodder

Fauxbra powered
Established Member
Im going to agree with some of what is said, but most music today does suck. I hadn't heard of half the music my friends listened to in college- and when I did, I remembered why my iPod stops around 2006. In the past 3 years, Ive only bought 3 new CDs- all of them Joe Bonamassa albums, who sadly doesnt get any radio play despite many best-selling awards.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Musicians have been using studio work to make their music sound good for decades. RDJ is right, you guys are saying the same things that your parents said, their parents said, and their parents said about the previous generation's music. Music is evolving just as it has for thousands of years. Your arguments about music being pushed on music stations has been around for decades. Nothing is wrong with the current state of music, it's just you getting old and senile.

How about you answer the question and tell us which "musicians" being pushed on mainstream radio are genuinely good and don't need the studio. Tell us which ones could perform in outside of the studio and w/o backing vocals and singers and still sound good.

The fact of the matter is most of what we hear as being pushed as the next best thing is manufactured and the person could not stand alone on his/her own ability.

You fail to realize how many of the musicians being pushed or who were pushed end up being a fly-by-night...if you will. They couldn't stand on "ability" and faded away once the kiddies aged. Cassidy, Garrett, The Jackson 5, Osmond, etc.., all come to mind.

Last edited:

Blown 89

Established Member
How about you answer the question and tell us which "musicians" being pushed on mainstream radio are genuinely good and don't need the studio. Tell us which ones could perform in outside of the studio and w/o backing vocals and singers and still sound good.

The fact of the matter is most of what we hear as being pushed as the next best thing is manufactured and the person could not stand alone on his/her own ability.
Today's top 10 list has the likes of Jason Aldean (on his 5th album), Rihanna (who has an amazing voice outside of the studio), Pink (who's been around for over a decade and has an amazing blues voice), Maroon 5 (been around since 1994), and others. Keep venturing down the list and you ahve the likes of Kenny Chesney, Usher, No Doubt and other very talented, very successful artists. Whether you like them or not they have talent and have staying power. Take a look at the era of music you guys consider to to have great music and you'll see that those eras had their share of crap, one hit wonders, and horrible trends too.

I get the feeling that we're arguing whether it's a good idea to invade Russia during the winter.

MrUnsubtleNinja

Established Member
Today's top 10 list has the likes of Jason Aldean (on his 5th album), Rihanna (who has an amazing voice outside of the studio), Pink (who's been around for over a decade and has an amazing blues voice), Maroon 5 (been around since 1994), and others. Keep venturing down the list and you ahve the likes of Kenny Chesney, Usher, No Doubt and other very talented, very successful artists. Whether you like them or not they have talent and have staying power. Take a look at the era of music you guys consider to to have great music and you'll see that those eras had their share of crap, one hit wonders, and horrible trends too.

I get the feeling that we're arguing whether it's a good idea to invade Russia during the winter.

This ^

Lady GaGa for example, and I won't argue that most of the stuff she puts out is less than stellar for anything but just listening without intellectual stimulation but she does have a voice.
Vintage Lady Gaga Live at NYU - Captivated & Electric Kiss - YouTube

Esthero is another artist that is incredibly underrated for the fact that she has wrote songs for the likes of Kanye West (co-wrote Love Lockdown and two other tracks on his 808s and Heartbreak album) worked with Timbaland.
Esthero - Round Midnight (Live) - YouTube

She's working on her third album now, to be released in October, and this is from back in 1998.

Most of the good artists are underground and taste is subjective of course.

BayouVette

Far Beyond Driven
Established Member
since losing pantera, alice n chains, rage, tool, etc.. i started listening to a wide variety of music. Including country. I really can't listen to upbeat trying to rock out country, but more laid back music and dub step is garbage. I mean its not even real dub step.

I like drinking music. I've become a pretty big fan of the Zac Brown Band which i think is the best new music to come out in recent years. And thats coming from someone who eat, sleeps, and breathes pantera..

MrUnsubtleNinja

Established Member
since losing pantera, alice n chains, rage, tool, etc.. i started listening to a wide variety of music. Including country. I really can't listen to upbeat trying to rock out country, but more laid back music and dub step is garbage. I mean its not even real dub step.

I like drinking music. I've become a pretty big fan of the Zac Brown Band which i think is the best new music to come out in recent years. And thats coming from someone who eat, sleeps, and breathes pantera..

I agree with the country music part....

Give me some Willie Nelson not this bullsh** pop country.

Users who are viewing this thread