The state of music is pathetic...

mysicman

Resident Pill Pusher
Established Member
Slash is meh... but Miles Kennedy is a great modern vocalist!:banana:

Actually Slash keeps getting better and better....did a great 20 min blues set/solo while Miles got a break from singing. They did 2 hrs straight with another 15 min encoure. There in no comparing his solos now to old live solos with GNR....so much better!

Miles is a great vocalist:beer:

Fenah

Crazy Greek Man
Established Member
There is still good Music to be found today, just harder to find.

one person I cant stand today is Nicki Minaj. Pure and utter trash.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
Good music is out there, what they're forcing on us on the radio isn't it though. I have no complaints about the state of music.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Just re-listened to Barbra's rendition of Memory from Cats, in honor of this thread. Make fun of her all you want, the woman has an epic voice, no autotune required!
Barbra is one of the all time greats and will never get old.

What amazes me is that some of what is being put up as "quality" music in this thread, a lot of us would consider shit music. just like our parents considered a lot of our music shit music. and their parents thought their music was shit.

in reality it is all a matter of subjective opinion and everyone will like different stuff.

that list the op posted is total crap, with the exception of the justin beiber one. some of them are apples to oranges comparison.

coposrv

Established Member
98.5 the sports hub. Sports talk radio here. I can't stand modern radio

SLVRBLT

Such is Life....
Established Member
agree. To me, rap died March 9, 1997. I still only listen to 80's and early-mid 90's rap. Today's rap is disgusting. The worst shit I have ever heard. its a joke.

I miss Biggie too. :(

There's a lot of newer hip hop/rap thats actually good. Little Brother, 9th Wonder, and still good old school hip hop like Pete Rock stuff, DJ Premier/Gang Starr before GURU died. I'm an East Coast hip hop fan but there's a lot good hip hop music out there still. I still listened to Wu-tang and all the mid 90's artists.

Coiled03

Established Member
LOL @ this thread. Wonder how many people in here have ever even picked up a musical instrument. I bet half the people in here are saying they don't like "popular" music because that's what everyone else says, and can't articulae WHY they don't like popular music. I may not like some the sound of some of today's popular music. But if the people making it clearly have talent, I wouldn't call it junk.

Newsflash: The popularity of a song/band doesn't determine its quality.

My .02: I like music that takes talent to create, regardless of genre. As a result, the only music I don't like is music that clearly takes zero talent to compose/record. Stupid power chord, scream into the microphone death metal, for example.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
What amazes me is that some of what is being put up as "quality" music in this thread, a lot of us would consider shit music. just like our parents considered a lot of our music shit music. and their parents thought their music was shit.

Think outside the box for a moment.

What we are seeing goes well beyond whether or not today's music is good or bad. The "musicians" being pushed by the radio stations don't seem talented nor influential in the least. Take away the backing vocals, take them out of the studio, etc.., and look what you are left with.

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
Just look at this bullshit:

12 Extremely Disappointing Facts About Popular Music

What a ****ing joke. The biggest one that got me was the Tik Tok song. I had to look it up on YouTube to even know what it was. But it's amazing that that's the kind of garbage that passes for good music these days. Sucks for people like me because it'd be nice not to have to listen to the same classics over and over and over and over and over.............

Eminem did a song about this not too long ago called "Syllables"...

[youtube_browser]RijsdNKXjNo[/youtube_browser]

By the way, the point of this song is to not be good, it's mocking the crap that's out today.

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Think outside the box for a moment.

What we are seeing goes well beyond whether or not today's music is good or bad. The "musicians" being pushed by the radio stations don't seem talented nor influential in the least. Take away the backing vocals, take them out of the studio, etc.., and look what you are left with.

oh puhlese some of the shit being recommeded in this thread in no way can be considered music. like coiled03 said a lot of the shit is just hold up a mic and scream at the top of your lungs and the kids will bang their heads to it like it is totally awesome. it is shit, and takes ZERO talent to do it.

as far as take away the backing vocals and out of the studio you are right some of them wouldn't be shit. Marketing is a wonderful thing for some. but that does not hold true for the majority of artists IMHO.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Speaking strictly about "musicians" currently being pushed on the music networks and radio stations, which ones are actually talented and don't need the studio to work its magic and make them sound "good?" We seem to have an abundance of manufactured musicians.

Blown 89

Established Member
Speaking strictly about "musicians" currently being pushed on the music networks and radio stations, which ones are actually talented and don't need the studio to work its magic and make them sound "good?" We seem to have an abundance of manufactured musicians.
Musicians have been using studio work to make their music sound good for decades. RDJ is right, you guys are saying the same things that your parents said, their parents said, and their parents said about the previous generation's music. Music is evolving just as it has for thousands of years. Your arguments about music being pushed on music stations has been around for decades. Nothing is wrong with the current state of music, it's just you getting old and senile.

tallfreak

Just a newb
Established Member
Musicians have been using studio work to make their music sound good for decades. RDJ is right, you guys are saying the same things that your parents said, their parents said, and their parents said about the previous generation's music. Music is evolving just as it has for thousands of years. Your arguments about music being pushed on music stations has been around for decades. Nothing is wrong with the current state of music, it's just you getting old and senile.

I couldn't have said it better myself. In my opinion most of the music on the radio sucks, but it is what is popular now. It pisses me off to see kids (my younger brother, for example) listening to this shit music that takes no talent to make.

Some of you need to give credit where credit is due. People that have a good voice or can play an instrument well need some credit. All the people that are hating on Barbra and Celine obviously don't know talent when they hear it. I don't like their music, but they are both incredibly talented.

Parents these days aren't as strict as older generations. My parents were not allowed to listen to some of the popular music from their time because it wasn't clean.

I mostly listen to my music collection, but most of my friends and family like pop music so I don't get turned on to new music very often.

Users who are viewing this thread