The Results: Final Track Pass Of The Season

cobra gt 07

Will Go 8's Eventually
Established Member
Went to Great Lakes Dragaway in Union Grove one final time before the end of the season. My previous best had been a 9.955, and I had hoped to show further improvement after raising the boost on my stock motor.

My friend, Kali (KG/Eleanor), came up to hang out and witness how my car performed. I had followed his advice and put on a smaller pulley on my Kenne Bell, after going back and forth with him on the phone about whether to do so. He taped my run for me, as he has done several times this season. Thanks Kali for giving the nudge to do this before the end of the season!

I felt uneasy as I pulled up to the line, but as soon as the car got off the line I knew I was in the sweet spot! Compared to the last time I went out there, I was fortunate to have a nice tailwind as I cruised down the track.

As far as I understand it, a 9.32 1/4 mile is the record for a supercharged GT500 on a stock motor, which was set by Evolution some time back. Their record is safe, but I got a bit closer to it today.

On my one and only run of the day, my GT500 posted the following numbers:

60 ft: 1.508
330 ft: 4.180
1/8: 6.347 @ 113.66 mph
1000 ft: 8.211
1/4: 9.778 @ 144.32 mph

I wanted to go out and run another pass, fully confident that I could get into the 9.6's with another try at it, but I was told by Bob in Tech that I would be limited to 1/8 mile runs until I brought my safety equipment up to spec. With good advice from Kali, I decided to call it a day and end the season on a high note...

Thanks again to Kali for making the trip to hang out at the track as I dialed in my car this year! Also thanks to my host track, Great Lakes Dragaway, for giving me an outlet to stretch my car's legs :rockon:

I will have several months to debate whether I want to take the plunge and get this beast to the point where it runs low 9's/high 8's. All I know is I love racing and I am really proud of my car!!

Here is a video of my run:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCaKxOIrlbQ"]Cobra GT's 2007 Shelby GT500 9.778 second pass Great Lakes Dragaway 11/13/11 - YouTube[/nomedia]

and the time slip and a few pics I snapped at the track:

WP_000110.jpg

SAM_0006.jpg

SAM_0005.jpg

SAM_0004.jpg

CPRsm

To be perfectly honest yours is more impressive for the stock engine. Congrats man, that thing is getting it DONE

rdsnk46

Established Member
Bravo!! You get the 60' in the 1.3's and you'll be nocking on the fastest record!

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
Congrats Alex way to get kicked out!

I see you have mastered the burnout!!

Last edited:

Charlie M

Established Member
Every time we go to da grove there is a head wind LOL. Nice work! Where is the place to get advice on go fast junk for the GT500 in our area?

Users who are viewing this thread