The new 5.0 4 valve ford will force us to uprgade our 99-01 powerplants!

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
There is no need for more displacement.

I seriously doubt that HCI will be the mods for it,
and the "5.0" mentality era UD pulleys won't either.
The mods will start after someone cracks the PCM code for valve timing.
Chances are, Ford has already maximized the airflow in and out
(exhaust manifolds and system, intake, CAI) so there will not be much there.
Big gains from small mods, those days are gone.

I disagree on the displacement comment. By your own comments below that one you justify my opinion. The new 5.0 is going to be maximized out of the factory. By pulling big naturally aspirated horsepower out of a small cubic inch motor from the factory (especially high compression with good breathing), there is very little room for improvement. IE I go back to my displacement comment. A bigger block with more cubic inches has more room to grow.

Leaving the 5.0 in the GT is fine as long as they provide the 6.2 in the Cobra versions of the car.

brkntrxn

Established Member
It really shouldn't upset people, although I know what you mean.
Look, Ford LEARNED FROM US!
Now, in theory, they are "modding" it for us at the factory.
Trust me, there are enthusiasts within the company.
And some say Ford wasn't listening.....................

I agree with everything you state here, Birdman.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
IIRC, it uses the Hot Rod cams available from Ford for the 3v now, except the profile is cut into 4 cams instead of 2. So, there is room there. Unfortunatly, it takes longer than a couple hours for a cam swap. Is there room on the 05+ cars to pull the cams with the motor in the car? The CAI can probably be improved on. The headers, maybe just a little, but most likely not worth the cost. You know an axle back will at least make it sound better and I'd guess that it still either has 4 cats or at least restrictive ones. If you get it without the track pack, you can tune the suspension how you want. The shifter is likely to be crap. If the blower companies are smart, they will have thicker head gaskets made so you can reduce compression. Gears of course will always be a good mod. There is still plenty of room for mods. Since the CAIs won't be as dramatic a change, maybe the price will drop because people won't pay $200 for 5-10 hp. I remember thinking that the 305 hp Cobra was pretty much maxed out and I was at a loss with how to mod my 99 when I first got it. We will find a way. To me, that is more fun that just doing what everyone else has been doing.

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
There is plenty of room in an S197 to do 3V cams with the motor in the car.
Maybe now with a new engine platform,
modular parts (like shorty headers) will drop in price.
Someone out there will do development on the new motors.
May already be being done, who knows?
I do hope FRPP continues to support mod motors for a long time,
like they have with the antquated pushrod motors.

brkntrxn

Established Member
Bird,

I hear ya. I am also jaded a bit lately with pushrod technology. My 03 Z06 has 405 underrated hp, with a good broad torque curve, and 28.6mpg at 75mph. From a pushrod engine that has a TON of potential: bolt-ons, stroked, bored, blown, whatever.

Even though I have owned and ran numerous DOHC combinations, this is the reason I am not smitten with modular motors.

-Kevin

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
"..........as some clung to their antiques,
the remainder embraced forward looking technologies......
Why would you need 32 Mb. of RAM? ....................."

I wonder what the S197 would weigh if it was all aluminum.
I like the look of the 2010 body a lot better than the 05-09,
but it is just so darn heavy.

Jamie R.

Established Member
+1 Kevin! I am not smitten with my 4v after seeing my buddy make 395 to the tires with a cam swap and bolt ons in a 01 z28!!!!!!!

Jamie R.
'01 Silver Cobra

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
11:1 compression? It's going to be much trickier to just slap a blower on it. Much more precise tuning and much more judicious use of boost. I see a lot of blown motors in the future.
Aren't the C6's 11.1? They just run around on 6 and 8psi tunes.

I think the popular mods for the new 5.0 are going to be intake, exaust, ud pullies, tunner, and spray. With those mods look to see 500rwhp and 550+rwtq.

I see some crying termi and gt500 owners in about 1 1/2 yrs.
I doubt it. Those cars make that power easily with few mods. And they aren't that much heavier.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
There is plenty of room in an S197 to do 3V cams with the motor in the car.
Maybe now with a new engine platform,
modular parts (like shorty headers) will drop in price.
Someone out there will do development on the new motors.
May already be being done, who knows?
I do hope FRPP continues to support mod motors for a long time,
like they have with the antquated pushrod motors.

I don't know that I would say that Ford supports the mod motor. At least not that 4v ones. They have produced one set of heads, 2 sets of cams if you count the GT cams, 1 intake(at $3000+), no headers, 2 exhausts, 2 blocks with more displacement, no CAI, no suspension, no al driveshaft(at least it says it doesn't fit though some seem to have made it work), no blower kit to buy for 99-01 Cobras and 03-04 Machs, not even a shifter. And, the stuff that they did produce is all discontinued except for the GT cams and the 5.0 blocks.

Really what I am interested in seeing is how easy a cam swap becomes on the new platform and motor. In my mind, the two things the LS guys have on us is more displacement and easy cam swaps. I'm also still waiting to see if the 6.2 ever makes it into a Mustang. If I didn't move around so much, I'd seriously think about pulling an Al P and putting a 6.2 in a Mustang. Not sure I have the skills anyway though.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
i'll say this about the 2011 GT

many many cocky owners are gonna get thier feelings hurt at the track by h/c/i LSXs, modded 4Vs of all years, and many others

yes the 2011 GT will be a good runner but there are gonna be even more mustang virgins out there because of this power increase...shit my car puts damn near 470 to the ground and i know i am still VERY low on the totem pole at the local 1320

remember when the 05s hit the street and they were "fast" lol couldn't even take out a 98 LSI Fbod

Last edited:

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
:rockon:

I'm ready to beat up some unsuspecting new 5.0 owners in the Wife's LT1:D

Seriously, its nice to see that they are making a MAJOR improvement in the GT's power department:thumbsup:

LOL hell yes it will

if i didn't know you personnaly and know the car as well i would call you a liar to your face...but i've seen that bitch run in person and it defys me and everything i know about LT1s

that ****er runs the number everytime :beer:

bsmith782

RANDY WATSON!
Established Member
Im not too worried. If the 2011 runs a high to mid 12. My car can do that too. More fun on the street, gettin tire of stomping out the 197's. :)

Users who are viewing this thread