The new 5.0 4 valve ford will force us to uprgade our 99-01 powerplants!

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
I read the magazine article on the new 5.0.
Pretty interesting, PCV system, heads, lots of cool stuff.
There is no need to increase the displacement.
(Not sure you can on it anyway)
Already makes over 400 HP and gets near 30 MPG.
Great package in factory form.

Electric994V

Established Member
Lmao, anybody seen what Evolution Performance did with the '11 GT?? Pretty much have to get a blower to really compete..... I couldnt post the link, but, its on YouTube. This car is unreal to be 1. A GT, 2. N/A.... I suppose i have to get a blower now.....lol.

ttbit

Long Time Mustang Fan
Established Member
I caught their thread right before they ran it. Was interesting to follow. Was funny to watch all the comments coming in before they even drove the thing. Horsepower and speed is only money. Anyone can do it if they have deep enough pockets. It's the whole package that is impressive. I agree with you. Impressive for a GT and NA.

I think the '99 Cobra looks better though. This new edge body style has really grown on me over the last year of owning one.

bwahl602

Established Member
agreed with furinox... the new gearbox is sweet

my 4.6 plans for the mach have an eaton and 302 cubic inches... i should be fine

nitemarestang

Bush Wookie
Established Member
Lmao, anybody seen what Evolution Performance did with the '11 GT?? Pretty much have to get a blower to really compete..... I couldnt post the link, but, its on YouTube. This car is unreal to be 1. A GT, 2. N/A.... I suppose i have to get a blower now.....lol.

could careless really. the motors good, but the car looks like shit. :shrug: and i would hope they would get the power up at 5.0l after its been 9-11 years since are cars have been out.

but honestly id say in the future it will be like the late 60s early 70s all over again.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
^ actually I think we are well beyond the late 60's/early 70's. The big dogs then had ~390 gross hp at the crank. That means with no accessories and no exhaust. Plus, they got 10 mpg. Cars now are WAY faster than those cars ever were stock for stock, even though they are heavier now.

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
na svt said:
The new 4v engine seems to be much better in power output and design, but as Birdman941 already mentioned, it will probably not respond to mods as the old 4v. The reason is that it' stock components are pretty damn good (intake, exhaust manifolds, etc). Basically, as far as bolt-ons go, it seems to be pretty much maxed out already.

I'd say it will respond to basic mods comparably. The new Tri-Ys aren't too much better than the old FRPP 2V headers, which were worth pretty much jack on the 2V over stock logs. The Ford guys were saying the new headers are worth 6 HP (at the flywheel) over 3V logs, so maybe 5 rwhp.

The new Coyote intake port outflows the Ford GT intake port by 4%, and outflows Yates D3s up to .475" lift (D3s flow about 355 at .475"). This isn't mild stuff. Then there's 11:1 and TiVCT. Don't underestimate the advantages and possibilities of TiVCT. If we were to believe those insider slips that these engines were making ~475 HP on the engine dyno during testing, I expect serious potential improvements from a tune. Perhaps the kind of tune gains we haven't seen before, when the tuners finally get comfortable with all of those VCT tables.

Then there's the intake manifold, we're told that they are so great, yet the Boss 302R Coyote already has a MUCH different intake manifold. To me that is a major clue.

I expect these engines with a full array of bolt-ons and a tune to perform far better than we have come to expect from the typical C-head builds, even most big bore/strokers.

Looking back in retrospect, the Coyote is proving to be every bit the animal I thought...responding to basic mods like champ. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

tmhutch

4v>3v>2v
Established Member
Yep, supposedly 30 hp from LT's and O/R pipe is being achieved by both Evolution and ARH. Big claims being made about tuning as well. Figure around 15. Wont be long before the aftermarket has 10 different short runner intake manifolds available. Figure a good 20hp from that.

The GT is a much better platform to start from but ultimately we can still be very competitive against this engine. Anybody can put a set of cams in their full bolt on 4.6 and produce the same power this engine produces in stock form (365'ish). Add a short runner and we have a serious leg up. We also have a 250 pound weigh advantage. Every little bit helps against this animal.

When we start talking about engine builds and the potential of each engine the score gets even closer. The 5.0 has better heads but it cannot accept a stroker crank. It is limited to 302 cubic inches so we have a cubic inch advantage too. It is already close to a fully optimized camshaft so they wont experience huge gains there (in theory).

A sullivan or custom short runner, big cams, ported GT heads (much more plentiful now) and 330 cubic inches will create real problems for the most aggressively built 5.0. Big bore (360 cubic inches) GT blocks will become more affordable as well.

These things will be everywhere and every motor head that owns one will be underestimating the old modular crowd. Should make for some good competition.

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
The 5.0 has better heads but it cannot accept a stroker crank.

Are you saying it won't accept a 3.75" stroke or just that a 4.6 crank won't work with the different snout and rear crank trigger?

It is already close to a fully optimized camshaft so they wont experience huge gains there (in theory).

The intake cams only have 205 degrees of duration at .050" IIRC, TiVCT is great but playing with centerlines can only accomplish so much. OTOH, TiVCT may allow larger cams to retain more low-end and mid-range, depending on how much the range of adjustment is limited.

I suspect the 5.0L will respond to cams nicely.

tmhutch

4v>3v>2v
Established Member
Are you saying it won't accept a 3.75" stroke or just that a 4.6 crank won't work with the different snout and rear crank trigger?

There is no room for a longer stroke crank. IIRC it has something to do with the revised windows used for bay to bay crank ventilation.

The intake cams only have 205 degrees of duration at .050" IIRC, TiVCT is great but playing with centerlines can only accomplish so much. OTOH, TiVCT may allow larger cams to retain more low-end and mid-range, depending on how much the range of adjustment is limited.

I suspect the 5.0L will respond to cams nicely.

I suspect you are right.

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
There is no room for a longer stroke crank. IIRC it has something to do with the revised windows used for bay to bay crank ventilation.

Where did you hear that? Is it b/c the cylinder liners are too short or b/c of counterweight and block interference? I'm just wondering if a little clearancing work would allow a longer stroke? I've also been wondering how big of a bore the block can handle, since the bores aren't siamesed.

tmhutch

4v>3v>2v
Established Member
Where did you hear that? Is it b/c the cylinder liners are too short or b/c of counterweight and block interference? I'm just wondering if a little clearancing work would allow a longer stroke? I've also been wondering how big of a bore the block can handle, since the bores aren't siamesed.

I'm imagine someone will find a way. Here is a quote from the 5.0 Mustang and Super Ford:

Because a fully populated Coyote crankcase is packaged tightly as coach airline seating-the already abbreviated piston skirts come close to the crankshaft counterweights-there is no room left for stroke increases.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member

The bore spacing is the same as the 4.6's so there is little to no room for large ci increase by increasing the bore diameter.

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
The bore spacing is the same as the 4.6's so there is little to no room for large ci increase by increasing the bore diameter.

The 5.0L uses a 3.63" bore, most big bores are 3.7". I'm wondering if the 5.0L coolant passages are going to interfere with the potential for a 3.7" big bore like we are used to.

Users who are viewing this thread