the hipe on 2003-04 cobras just my opinion

key

Established Member
i wonder do the base c6 Vette guys go thru the same thing with the c6 zo6 guys?

It is understood that the C6 Z06 is a better stock car than the regular C6.. However, you will still see threads on the Corvette forums asking whether it's better to get a C6 and mod it so it's faster than a Z06 or just buy the Z06.

And the Z06 guys are doing the same thing with the new ZR-1.

The only time you can really compare two cars is stock-to-stock. Once you start modifying there should be no more comparison since the car is essentially a different machine than it was when it left the factory.

Tygerwoody

Established Member
Yea. 03-04 Cobras are VERY much just hype. They are worthless cars. NOONE should want to buy them.

Since I'm a nice guy though. I"ll gladly trade my 99 Cobra + my right arm for a Terminator just so you don't have to deal with the insane hype. 99 Cobra is where its at. :D

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
1. Ya and im sure GM or any other manufacturer could have done what they did in a year and a half? Ya RIGHT....it's taken GM what....5+ years just to come up with a camaro to answer Ford's SN197 platform? Do I think GM or Dodge could have pulled off a program like this in the timeframe? NOPE: they dont have the balls or the vision to do that.

2. I just love how you put down the parts Ford used on the Terminator...calling the pistons cheap? what came with your 99 cobra? arent they the sh!t ass hypercrap pistons that are in the V6s, GTs and Mach 1s? I think it's amusing that you put down one of the very best efforts SVT has produced on a site dedicated to SVT vehicles LOL

3. Say what you want, obviously you have alot of ill will towards the terminator but thats your opinion....imo, i think its the best mustang Ford ever produced, even with the issues the car has. And regardless of how you make it sound in your post, it is nothing short of a miracle that they got it to market when they did. You make it sound like they just threw some existing parts together and whammo, here it is! Are you forgetting that every little change they had to make required approval? Not to mention they had to find a way to assemble the Terminators in the old ass Dearborn plant without disturbing normal assembly. Thank God Coletti and his crew could get approval FAST otherwise, there wouldnt have been a Terminator.

4. I think the designer did a hell of a job with the exterior seeing he only had 6 months to do it in.

5. Engineering godliness? no....giving the customer what they have been crying for and then some for a LONG time? YES. They were working on an old platform and did the very best they could with it.

6. If there was no innovation in the 03-04 cobra, then why is it one of the most sought after mustang out there? hmmm i wonder....I hear all the time about Vipers, MKIV Supras, Z06s, and inevitably, Terminator is in that discussion, it's an icon and always will be whether you like it or not.

I've numbered your points for ease of response.

1. If you don't realize this, there are other manufacturers in the world besides GM, FORD, and Chrysler, all of which are in the preverbial toilet. How about the C63 Mercedes. 450 NA bhp, out less than 1 year after the standard C class. As for GM, they didn't need to bring out a new car, because they already had one that was superior. But then again, the Z06 came to market pretty quickly, didn't it. yeah, I thought so. Ford is no engineering or production marvel, that I can assure you. Balls or vision. You are dillusional, seriously. Id say the z06 shows they have both balls and vision.

2. Slapnuts, Zollner was the lowest cost supplier of the pistons. They ARE cheap. So are the hypereutectic pistons in my 99. Neither are terribly strong, nor are they at all comparable to a good aftermarket 2618 piston. If you think Ford is gonna pay top dollar for a forged piston for a 390bhp car, you are insane. And btw, hypercrap pistons are used in almost every single vehicle today, so to call them shitty is pretty stupid. They were the right tool for the job. Just like the zollners were the right tool for a 390bhp car (not a 1000bhp car, as you so claim). Oh, and I don't give a **** if this site was dedicated to waterproofing a ducks ass, I would still speak my mind.

3. Whoopdedoo. So they got approval to put a t-56 and a heat exchanger into a mustang. Let me piss myself with excitement. Maybe while they were going through their approvals, they should have approved some better head cooling, or maybe some looser piston to wall clearance.

4. He didn't do a god damn thing. Taillights from a GT, Check. A rounded version of the standard bumper with some plastic insert, check, the 01 cobra bumper with a bigger center cutout and fugly foglights that stick out past the lines of the bumper. The hood is reminiscent of the saleen heat extractor hood. The mirrors are the only decent part. It shouldn't take more than 2 days to come up with these "miraculous changes".

5. ok, so meeting demand that hadn't been met before is a stroke of genius. Its called finally getting with the program. Saying that this is what enthusiasts were crying for and MORE? Please! A heavy iron block, heads that spit out spark plugs, a flawed irs, a 10 spline tranny, etc. is not exactly what I was looking for.

6. The 03 cobra is far from the most sought after mustang. Hell, they languished on dealer lots in 04 for 6k discounts. Think Cobra R or Boss 429 if you want sought after. And in case you were wondering, being sought after has nothing to do with innovation.

Face it, they took a gt block, slapped some decent forged internals in it, and threw an intercooled roots blower on top. This was nothing new or shocking. Enthusiasts had been doing that on modular cobras since 97 or so.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
If your gonna start a post about not being impressed with a peticular car...make sure it isnt a BETTER car than you currently own. But thats just me:poke:

Quadcammer

Established Member
If your gonna start a post about not being impressed with a peticular car...make sure it isnt a BETTER car than you currently own. But thats just me:poke:

1. Im not exactly impressed with my own car, and this is a VERY well known piece of information.

2. My car does not resemble a stock 99 cobra. My version of the 99 cobra has better internals, a more efficient blower, an upgraded t-56, a solid rear, etc etc.

3. Im not impressed by the new BMW M3 either, and that is in every way a better car than a 99 cobra.

Did it occur to you that maybe some people had to settle for the car they bought, and its not what they really wanted or found to be entertaining?

01 Venom

Established Member
I think most people settle on the car they have and just do what they can to make it better.

If I had my choice I would be driving a C63 or SL65 or something heh

Voodoo Snake

Established Member
oh Gawddddddd I could sit here and number all of your points and respond oh so cleverly like you did but i wont.

I'm just gonna end my response to this thread with this:

You obviously resent and hate the Terminator, hey that's your decision. Lashing out at me and name-calling for stating my opinions is utterly childish of you. I could just picture you typing away fuming hahaha that's pretty funny.

Crappy pistons or not, so you say, but those pistons can easily handle 600+rwhp so calm down...they changed ALOT of things and spent alot of time testing the new components. Ya, there are some flaws with the car but you show me one car out there that doesnt including Z06s, Vipers, MBs, whatever they ALL DO.

Thanks for the entertaining numbered responses...we Terminator guys will cherish your valuable insight and personal opinions on the best built Mustang of it's time.

Peace Cammer! and remember, you're part of the SVT family too, so i forgive you :lol1:

I've numbered your points for ease of response.

1. If you don't realize this, there are other manufacturers in the world besides GM, FORD, and Chrysler, all of which are in the preverbial toilet. How about the C63 Mercedes. 450 NA bhp, out less than 1 year after the standard C class. As for GM, they didn't need to bring out a new car, because they already had one that was superior. But then again, the Z06 came to market pretty quickly, didn't it. yeah, I thought so. Ford is no engineering or production marvel, that I can assure you. Balls or vision. You are dillusional, seriously. Id say the z06 shows they have both balls and vision.

2. Slapnuts, Zollner was the lowest cost supplier of the pistons. They ARE cheap. So are the hypereutectic pistons in my 99. Neither are terribly strong, nor are they at all comparable to a good aftermarket 2618 piston. If you think Ford is gonna pay top dollar for a forged piston for a 390bhp car, you are insane. And btw, hypercrap pistons are used in almost every single vehicle today, so to call them shitty is pretty stupid. They were the right tool for the job. Just like the zollners were the right tool for a 390bhp car (not a 1000bhp car, as you so claim). Oh, and I don't give a **** if this site was dedicated to waterproofing a ducks ass, I would still speak my mind.

3. Whoopdedoo. So they got approval to put a t-56 and a heat exchanger into a mustang. Let me piss myself with excitement. Maybe while they were going through their approvals, they should have approved some better head cooling, or maybe some looser piston to wall clearance.

4. He didn't do a god damn thing. Taillights from a GT, Check. A rounded version of the standard bumper with some plastic insert, check, the 01 cobra bumper with a bigger center cutout and fugly foglights that stick out past the lines of the bumper. The hood is reminiscent of the saleen heat extractor hood. The mirrors are the only decent part. It shouldn't take more than 2 days to come up with these "miraculous changes".

5. ok, so meeting demand that hadn't been met before is a stroke of genius. Its called finally getting with the program. Saying that this is what enthusiasts were crying for and MORE? Please! A heavy iron block, heads that spit out spark plugs, a flawed irs, a 10 spline tranny, etc. is not exactly what I was looking for.

6. The 03 cobra is far from the most sought after mustang. Hell, they languished on dealer lots in 04 for 6k discounts. Think Cobra R or Boss 429 if you want sought after. And in case you were wondering, being sought after has nothing to do with innovation.

Face it, they took a gt block, slapped some decent forged internals in it, and threw an intercooled roots blower on top. This was nothing new or shocking. Enthusiasts had been doing that on modular cobras since 97 or so.

Quadcammer

Established Member
oh Gawddddddd I could sit here and number all of your points and respond oh so cleverly like you did but i wont.

I'm just gonna end my response to this thread with this:

You obviously resent and hate the Terminator, hey that's your decision. Lashing out at me and name-calling for stating my opinions is utterly childish of you. I could just picture you typing away fuming hahaha that's pretty funny.

Crappy pistons or not, so you say, but those pistons can easily handle 600+rwhp so calm down...they changed ALOT of things and spent alot of time testing the new components. Ya, there are some flaws with the car but you show me one car out there that doesnt including Z06s, Vipers, MBs, whatever they ALL DO.

Thanks for the entertaining numbered responses...we Terminator guys will cherish your valuable insight and personal opinions on the best built Mustang of it's time.

Peace Cammer! and remember, you're part of the SVT family too, so i forgive you :lol1:

easily handle 600rwhp? show that to the countless people that have EASILY lunched their 600rwhp motors due to some minor detonation or one or 2 high speed runs.

Best built mustang of its time. Continue to dream my friend.

see ya!

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
why can't we all just get along? :shrug:

the op started this with attitude, the same could have been started by a 93 cobra guy asking (with attitude) why all the hype about new edge compared to the fox. its still a mute point, each new version of the cobra for the most part has been improved. (stock for stock) so why argue?? If you are happy with your car weather its a fox,new edge, or a term, great, :rockon:
Rob

EVLSVT

Banned
Just to add to the fire,

I love 03 cobras, I do NOT like the front end, looks kind of boxy and weird, but the back is alot nicer then my 01 cobra.

The engine can be modded easily, and get more power for less money. Common knowledge.

It is not the greatest mustang ever produced (my opinion).

But one thing I read is how terminator owners can not even BEGIN to fathom the idea of an 01 with boltons taking a stock 01 cobra.

I just hinted that idea and it turned into a 10 page flame war.

My 01 has 318.80rwhp and 316.20rwtq.
Full exhaust, lots of suspension, intake, tune.

It takes stock 03 cobras from a roll up to 120mph, (then the 03 starts to make its slow pull back).

First gear ROLL, I will pull a 03/04 with exhaust HARD, 2nd gear, I will be pulling slow, 3rd, dead even, 4th - 03 pulls. I have video on my website 01cobra.net , you can see the dig race 1st to 2nd gear race where I win by a car.

On streetfire I have videosof when I stock w/exhaust, being DEAD even 1st to 3rd gear.

Here is the 1st-2nd gear race
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/733e73e2-9413-42eb-9289-99bb0123aba8.htm

Yes, driver error can be involved, but he is a good friend and we have done this oh maybe 30+ times.

This is when I ONLY had exhaust. (we have done this SO MANY TIMES) so you can NOT say it was driver error, sorry.
Look at that. Stock eaton 03 cobra, in my lowly 01 cobra with ONLY exhaust. We do Dig races, and look at how close we are. He even gets the launch in 1st gear and I pull him in for .02 seconds.. then stay dead even.
Now I just pull him.
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/31ce531f-b846-45b0-b3f0-99bb0118f5a2.htm
Anything after 3rd gear, or higher MPH, he walks

Termi owners have heart attacks over this shit... but honestly, bring your 03/04 cobra (stock or with only exhaust) and I will prove you that my 01 will pull slightly or be dead even (but not lose) to you.

Top end? you will take me, but who races that far when you are in the 1/4?

So yes, if you want a car as fast as the 03 cobra, you can get the 01 cobra, do full exhaust, intake, tune, THATS IT (no gears or anything) and be just as fast if not faster then an 03 (if you can drive).

But... if you want any more power.. you gotta go with the 03/04, throw on pully, intake, tune, etc... and its a whole new animal.

/thread.

Last edited:

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse

It takes stock 03 cobras from a roll up to 120mph, (then the 03 starts to make its slow pull back).

First gear ROLL, I will pull a 03/04 with exhaust HARD, 2nd gear, I will be pulling slow, 3rd, dead even, 4th - 03 pulls. I have video on my website 01cobra.net , you can see the dig race 1st to 2nd gear race where I win by a car.

First of all....ur modded car against that stock car is incredibly irrelevant. And 2nd of all..taking any and all driver ability/traction aside..I DOUBT IT:poke: Even when my car was stock I wooped the ever liven hell out of a 06supercharged Saleen 4 times in a row. I cant fathom how your car could keep up N/A even with the mods you had. I would love to have seen it..even if it is a 4v-Shane

Last edited:

EVLSVT

Banned

First of all....ur modded car against that stock car is incredibly irrelevant. And 2nd of all..taking any and all driver ability/traction aside..I DOUBT IT:poke: Even when my car was stock I wooped the ever liven hell out of a 06supercharged Saleen 4 times in a row. I cant fathom how your car could keep up N/A even with the mods you had. I would love to have seen it..even if it is a 4v-Shane

It isn't irrelevant to the point we were making... WOW is it that hard to read man?

We are saying that with full boltons, a 01 cobra can keep up with an 03 cobra. Numerous people agreed in this thread, but 03 owners were throwing hissy fits. I also agreed, gave documentation and video.

YES I AGREE 03 COBRAS ARE CHEAPER TO MOD AND WILL MAKE MORE POWER EASIER, AND CAN MAKE WAY MORE POWER THEN AN 01 WILL EVER MAKE ON STOCK INTERNALS - is that clear?

BUT... you can buy an 01 cobra, do those mods that I have done, and keep up with a STOCK , FACTORY 03 04 cobra. (even with exhaust, you will keep up).

Sorry, it is the truth. I have posted video, and I have done it SO MANY TIMES< no matter what you say will NOT change my opinion unless you bring your STOCK or exhaust only 03/04 cobra to my place and race me, and win.

I say exhaust only, because I have raced and beat NUMEROUS (that means many) times, stock 03/04 cobras, and the same cobra with just exhaust. I won't claim to beat a terminator with any more mods, because I have not tried that yet/, but yes, you can lose to an 01 cobra with bolt ons. Thats why for me it is worth to get the 01 cobra. For the meantime I am just as fast as I wanted to be with the 03 cobra, and I want alot more power, so i'm just rebuilding everything, just as I would with the 03 cobra. So it works for me.

Last edited:

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
I never threw a hissy fit, :shrug:,I think its awesome, you surprising a term. I personally don't know ANY stock Terminators, so the point is mute in my area. I do believe you have the driver mod over those MANY stock term's. so for that I commend you :thumbsup:

I think the only reason I doubted to begin with was I have raced a FI new edge cobra when I only had pulley and tune and I pulled him pretty good, so you having a modded n/a new edge seems fishy. Do I care that I could be wrong??? no, like I said before, I commend you :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread