The HARD TRUTH about EVs

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
If you're going to hybrid at all, just do the mild hybrid for fuel economy and call it a day. I think most hybrids have CVT transmissions, which I despise. If I were to buy any econobox hybrid, it would be a Toyota Corolla sedan. 50MPG and it doesn't look nearly as ghey as a Prius.

OX1

Established Member
I am definitely curious about a fuel over electric concept like the Ramcharger vs. straight EV.
But, I'm not convinced that the efficiency improvement is good enough to warrant the effort.
The old Chevy volt used this idea, but I don't believe it was VASTLY more efficient than current ICE cars.(and was a money loser for GM)
It will be interesting to see how it plays out in a heavier vehicle.

Startup company Edison is supposed to start offering "retrofit" kits for trucks, but the power and efficiency will need to be super high to justify the cost.

If you have an older stock(ish) truck like that (in that kind of shape) and you mod it. You just killed half it's value.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Hybrid was the logical next step for mass integration, but Tesla's popularity caused the mass hysteria that resulted in it being skipped over and now we are back to hybrid as we learn the hard way that EVs are not the end all, be all with major downfalls that the manufacturers and government conveniently ignored in hopes of jumping in on the action. It's astonishing that so many manufacturers didn't see or acknowledge the shortcomings of EVs as being something that would eventually cause sales stagnation.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Hybrid was the logical next step for mass integration, but Tesla's popularity caused the mass hysteria that resulted in it being skipped over and now we are back to hybrid as we learn the hard way that EVs are not the end all, be all with major downfalls that the manufacturers and government conveniently ignored in hopes of jumping in on the action. It's astonishing that so many manufacturers didn't see or acknowledge the shortcomings of EVs as being something that would eventually cause sales stagnation.

The bans make no exception for hybrid.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Tesla still a rare bird here.

I’d say the opposite. You’re East/Southeast of me, but I see quite a few Teslas here in Western WI, and the Twin Cities area.

798 F150's within a hundred miles here.

Think of the marshmallows the cucks could roast with them come August at Burning Man - lol.

Everyone went balls deep.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
Race to the bottom, Elon gets to experience the brutal side of auto sales in a downward sales environment. Morons.
The old Chevy volt used this idea, but I don't believe it was VASTLY more efficient than current ICE cars.(and was a money loser for GM)

Dudes, it’s not Ford, Tesla, or GM, losing money.

We’re getting ****ed by paying for this shit with our taxes AND every time we buy a ICE Ford or Chevy.

It’s the green new deal that’s killing us.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Some Irony here. EV owners who bought during and just after covid find themselves buried (Tesla) in negative equity when wanting out of their EV. Guess what vehicle offers the best deals with room to bury that negative equity now that banks have cracked down on lending over MSRP? Pickups! LOL, delicious sweet irony, although the F-150 Hybrid does have some big discounts, so they could still stay partly EV.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Dumb
1709061915998.png

andymarkv

Established Member
If you have an older stock(ish) truck like that (in that kind of shape) and you mod it. You just killed half it's value.
Yep, I hear you. I can't see where a conversion to ICE over electric makes sense, especially on a nice older truck, but I do find the concept interesting.
I like the thoughts of:
• 100% torque instantaneously
• Overall efficiency increases
• minimal driveline components/wear/service
The issue I have, is at best, a suggested 30% increase in fuel economy. Depending on the platform, I'm not sure that is a whole lot better than a traditional diesel platform vs gas.
I can only see reinventing the wheel if there are obvious and consistent advantages.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
German EV sales collapsed 55% in Jan 2024 after subsidy removal, gas and diesel sales up 10%. Farmers still spraying manure on everything. Green Insanity howling for reinstatement of EV subsidies. Popcorn time!

Fat Boss

Established Member

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia

Fat Boss

Established Member
True!
But not when my wife has some Apple stock - lol.

My folks bought me 1 share of AAPL back in the day for I think about twenty bucks. It split a few times and I used the money for a down payment on my Boss 302. I still have the certificate. It was printed on a dot matrix printer.

A friend's dad was a VP of Supply Chain back in about the year 2000. He had loads of stock options. He was passed over for a promotion to a Sr VP gig and stormed out of there. Shortly after, Apple came out with the iPod then the iPhone. I'm not sure he'd have a BILLION dollars, but maybe. He went on to be CEO of Shutterfly for a bit, but nothing will ever compare with what he left on the table at Apple.

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I am definitely curious about a fuel over electric concept like the Ramcharger vs. straight EV.
But, I'm not convinced that the efficiency improvement is good enough to warrant the effort.
It will be interesting to see how it plays out in a heavier vehicle.

Startup company Edison is supposed to start offering "retrofit" kits for trucks, but the power and efficiency will need to be super high to justify the cost.
I like watching this guys videos. He really hits the nail on the head with many topics. From reparibility to power systems.

Users who are viewing this thread