The HARD TRUTH about EVs

bird_dog0347

Established Member
I've never owned a car longer than two years. I've owned 19 in 20 years. Why would this be any different.
This is the most logical thing you've said... if you simply said "I wanted a Tesla for the short term and it meets my needs" NO ONE on here would blame you. But to argue it's better, more economical, whatever is dumb.

I've been in IT for over 25 years and I LOVE when executives try to tell me how much we will save if we go to the cloud then get absolutely outraged when the bill comes even after myself and my colleagues explained the fallacy of that ideology. It *can* be done, but it requires levels of rigor very few IT orgs can manage. The same is true for EV's, if your intended use case is nothing more than commuting 40-70 miles from home on a daily basis and you can charge it at home and dump it after 3-4 years you're golden... ANYTHING outside of that and you're kidding yourself.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
I've never owned a car longer than two years. I've owned 19 in 20 years. Why would this be any different.
I have no doubt this is true. It is also true that every EV proponent that I have ever come across makes the argument that I noted above.

I once had a guy telling me to buy a 15 year old BMW because it’s German engineered and superior. Don’t worry about warranties as it’s built better. He knows because he gets a new one every two years.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
So I'm understanding you, you use no items that require precious metals? You drive a model T and don't use TVs, cell phones, the internet, power, etc...?

?

Roads are built and maintained thanks to gas taxes. Subsidizing your EV does not bother me, but not everyone is as generous as me.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
This is the most logical thing you've said... if you simply said "I wanted a Tesla for the short term and it meets my needs" NO ONE on here would blame you. But to argue it's better, more economical, whatever is dumb.

I've been in IT for over 25 years and I LOVE when executives try to tell me how much we will save if we go to the cloud then get absolutely outraged when the bill comes even after myself and my colleagues explained the fallacy of that ideology. It *can* be done, but it requires levels of rigor very few IT orgs can manage. The same is true for EV's, if your intended use case is nothing more than commuting 40-70 miles from home on a daily basis and you can charge it at home and dump it after 3-4 years you're golden... ANYTHING outside of that and you're kidding yourself.

Is that not how the majority of drivers use their cars? Commuting to and from work, running errands, dropping kids off, etc?

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
Is that not how the majority of drivers use their cars? Commuting to and from work, running errands, dropping kids off, etc?

Matts, are sure you want to try to argue these points to a group of auto enthusiasts?

I don't have a master's degree, but I have learned that knowing your audience and tailoring your argument to your audience's perception and bias is critical. Engineers seemingly always make the classic mistake of neglecting that 65% of their job is selling ideas, and only 35% is the fun technical stuff.

But I'm sure your master degree taught you that.

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
Matts, are sure you want to try to argue these points to a group of auto enthusiasts?

I don't have a master's degree, but I have learned that knowing your audience and tailoring your argument to your audience's perception and bias is critical. Engineers seemingly always make the classic mistake of neglecting that 65% of their job is selling ideas, and only 35% is the fun technical stuff.

IMO, He’s not trying to argue any points as much as he’s trying to justify to himself why he bought his power wheels.

It’s either that or his welfare degree didn’t teach him basic reading comprehension.

I just hope it continues. It’s very entertaining to read his drivel during my morning shit.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member

To be clear, Im not making an argument that people on this forum should spend their money on an EV. You can spend it how you like. I've merely taken the time to correct propaganda that continues to get spread ITT by providing actual facts about EV ownership.

And additionally, auto enthusiasts aren't the majority of auto buyers. If they were, the Corolla wouldn't be the best selling cars in the world.

I also don't need to convince anyone to buy a Tesla. I think the Model Y was the second or third best selling car in the world last year. People are convincing themselves.

IMO, He’s not trying to argue any points as much as he’s trying to justify to himself why he bought his power wheels.

It’s either that or his welfare degree didn’t teach him basic reading comprehension.

I just hope it continues. It’s very entertaining to read his drivel during my morning shit.

Not at all. Why would I care about what you think about my car? Again, I've simply given actual facts about EVs (mainly Tesla EVs). Apparently facts are bad and ruin 'your truth.'

Serious question.

What vehicles do you own? Is your Tesla you’re only mode of transportation?

Just down to the M3P and a BMW X3 in the household now. Sold the WRX and the supercharged F-150 and sold my last bike a couple of years ago.

SSSSSSSSSSSSVT

Established Member
Matts is a troll. He doesnt own any mustangs or SVT vehicles. WRX? LOL. Why is he on a SVT forum trying to tell everyone about his cost savings tesla? LOL. Its not saving you any money Matts, all it does it show everyone what a giant ignorant douche you are. Check out mens docking - I believe this is what you are really looking for.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
Matts is a troll. He doesnt own any mustangs or SVT vehicles. WRX? LOL. Why is he on a SVT forum trying to tell everyone about his cost savings tesla? LOL. Its not saving you any money Matts, all it does it show everyone what a giant ignorant douche you are. Check out mens docking - I believe this is what you are really looking for.

You see those dates on the left under the members' name?

And thanks for clarifying that you're not actually interested in facts--just spreading BS. AKA, you're just as bad as the "green energy" crowd. Ironic calling anyone else ignorant.

SSSSSSSSSSSSVT

Established Member
You see those dates on the left under the members' name?

And thanks for clarifying that you're not actually interested in facts--just spreading BS. AKA, you're just as bad as the "green energy" crowd. Ironic calling anyone else ignorant.
So what? You sold all the good cars you owned and you will never buy one again according to you. Move on bud, they are giving flowers away to people with your like minded opinions elsewhere. This crowd of older car owners and facts is way beneath you now. Go make some friends at a supercharging station while you sit 90 minutes to recharge your pow pow power wheels. Think of all the imaginary money you are saving!

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
It's actually 200.

200 has been the standard for the last 20 years, but 100 amp is still installed. Before that it was 100 and for decades before that it was 60. It is not uncommon for electricians to find single 30 amp screw style fuse setups in the old housing around here.

EDIT: I should have been more clear on what timeline I was talking about.

Last edited:

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
200 has been the standard for the last 20 years, but 100 amp is still installed. Before that it was 100 and for decades before that it was 60. It is not uncommon for electricians to find single 30 amp screw style fuse setups in the old housing around here.

I could be wrong, but many of those neighborhood green box transformers are 25KVA units. For fun, let's say they are. This results in max amp output of 114 amps at 220V, split among 4 homes.

These neighborhood transformers are not sized to allow the 4 homes to have max amps simultaneously, and are sized for rms amps throughout the day.

So, if all four homes need max amps for EV charging, they will need a new, larger green box. This is also true for the main transformer that supplies the entire neighborhood.

All this stuff will need upgrades to support mass adoption of EV charging at home. Prepare to pay heavily.

Last edited:

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
I could be wrong, but many of those neighborhood green box transformers are 25KVA units. For fun, let's say they are. This results in max amp output of 114 amps at 220V, split among 4 homes.

These neighborhood transformers are not sized to allow the 4 homes to have max amps simultaneously, and are sized for rms amps throughout the day.

So, if all four homes need max amps for EV charging, they will need a new, larger green box. This is also true for the main transformer that supplies the entire neighborhood.

All this stuff will need upgrades to support mass adoption of EV charging at home. Prepare to pay heavily.

Just one more aspect of the Green Insanity. Facts and reality mean zero.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Haven't even touched on the disaster that is EV battery recycling. It will be horribly expensive, and manufacturers won't want it. So, who wants to live anywhere near a landfill burying shit worse than nuclear waste?

Users who are viewing this thread