The cold is coming, is your intercooler ready?

Steve@Tasca

Time once again for my warning about frozen intercoolers for you "warm weather" guys, due to unusually cold temps across the country any of you running plain water or water wetter need to either drain them, find warm storage or get a 50/50 antifreeze mix in your systems before you end up with a cracked intercooler.

Happens every time we have these cold snaps.

weather_zps258b8f2d.jpg

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I've always just used a 50/50 mix. Does just water or water wetter really keep charge temps down? If so I may try it next summer. Otherwise, I'll leave it.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Thanks for the link, that is a month old though and the cold we're seeing right now is abnormal. I try to do this every year especially if there's a really unusual weather system in place. Never fails that someone is caught out.

-Steve

Always a helpful reminder you do every year, thanks again.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I've always just used a 50/50 mix. Does just water or water wetter really keep charge temps down? If so I may try it next summer. Otherwise, I'll leave it.

Don't waste your money. I just tried it this summer. Water wetter with water and minimal antifreeze did nothing for me. I saw zero change in IAT2 temps vs 50/50 water/antifreeze mix.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Where's the thread with the pic of the guy who found an ice skating rink on the bottom of his intake.

That's a good "heads-up" Steve. Running straight water or diluted coolant is risky. The IC is not cheap.

Last edited:

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Running straight water or water with a booster should be a track only mod IMHO. There's just very little advantages with major disadvantages. Stick to 50/50 and never worry about it.

ctgreddy

Established Member
I just got mine adjusted today, a little late but it should have been good enough for the temps we had last week. I start out with a 50/50 mix in the spring and then when I go to the track drain the tank and fill with ice so by the time winter comes it's mostly water and little antifreeze. So this time of the year I drain the tank and fill with straight antifreeze and cycle the pump. Always puts me right back in the -20 to -15 degree safe zone.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Where's the thread with the pic of the guy who found an ice skating rink on the bottom of his intake.

That's a good "heads-up" Steve. Running straight water or diluted coolant is risky. The IC is not cheap.

That one and the other one with the rubber duck floating in the intake.

Users who are viewing this thread