The Bible - Fact, Fiction or Both (explain?)

The Bible - Fact, Fiction or Both (explain?)

• The Bilbe is FACT and it all really happend as written.

Votes: 45 33.6%
  • The Bible is FICTION and all made up.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • The Bible is BOTH FACT and FICION. Some parts are made up and other parts really happened.

Votes: 62 46.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Explain the difference between factual and literal? Depending on which branch of Christianity you follow, the Bible IS NOT open for interpretation, and is to be followed in its entirety.

I believe, just by looking at the facts as I know them, that the Bible was written as more of a compromise in an effort to control people, Council of Nicea. There were far more books left out of the Bible than were included. Those were decisions made by men of those times, they have affected men of ALL time since then. Im not merely basing my thoughts on The Davinci Code, I've done my research. In my opinion the Bible, and Christianity, are just a conglomerate of a bunch of religions during that time, a lot of which were considered pagan, that a group of men compromised on in an effort to unite a region of people and control them. What better way to control a man than with fear. "You dont get into heaven unless you believe in a Christian God, and you dont believe in a Christian God unless you go to my church." I am not saying that Jesus wasnt real, and that there is no God, I just dont think that ANY of todays religions have it 100% correct. Religion and faith are so important to me that I want to make sure the one that i chose to follow has it all correct. Given the violent history of Christianity, it makes it really hard to swallow that they know whats best for me. Crusades, hello??

The entire Old Testament was translated from Hebrew to Greek, 300 years before Jesus Christ was born. Its true there were several New Testament gospels rejected though. Many had glaring inconsistencies and there were also many fake gospels being written be the enemies of Christianity.

Its true early Christianity was manipulated by powerful leaders. It wasn't difficult to do though. Many people of that period of time were not able to read the Bible for themselves. Many people didn't have the privilege of learning to read, let alone knowing how to read in Greek and later on in Latin. Bibles were also rather expensive and scarce, sometimes only the clergy had them. Christianity had its ups and downs due to people not being able to read and study it themselves en mass. As we've seen through time, Christianity has changed radically as more people have learned to read and read the Bible for themselves. A lot has changed within Christianity, but the message has never changed since Jesus Christ died. Fundamentally speaking, you either believe Jesus' outrageous claims or you don't. But its very clear that Jesus' claim to be the doorway to eternal salvation, is unlike any message offered from any of the world religions. It's a my way or the highway type of approach.

What about the Crusades? The Muslims and Christians had their early battles, but it wasn't a strictly religious venture. There were plenty of government officials walking after their own lusts by using Christianity as a weapon and keeping people from being able to read the Bible for themselves. We still have at least 20 million Americans today that are illiterate. The levels of illiteracy in that period of time was extraordinary. Governments have done plenty to control people and they were doing it long before Christianity became popular. Sure many deaths were caused by Christianity, that's indisputable. But the death toll from the Crusades was a drop in the bucket compared to the death toll produced by faithless leaders in the 20th century. That death toll being close to or greater than 100 million based on what figures you trust. Hello? We're supposed to be advancing and growing as a civilization yet we're wasting people away in monster numbers just a few decades back. And you can attribute that carnage to faithless leaders.

Every major world religion has some history of violence. But governments bearing no religious message whatsoever are responsible for more death and destruction than any world religion. However, the New Testament message isn't one of converting people under the penalty of death. The institutions that claim to be representative of Christianity are very different than the message provided int he Bible. It's like stating that the Catholic Church is the official spokesman for Christianity. Which it certainly is not.

Last edited:

Silver03Termi

Established Member
After watching these, I did a lot of research, for myself, not to preach. Maybe they will inspire someone else to dig deeper.

[nomedia]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNf-P_5u_Hw&feature=PlayList&p=74B7BF0C6173B522&playnext_from=PL&index=0&playnext=1]YouTube - Zeitgeist [Religion[/nomedia]

[nomedia]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc-mrJf45Hg&annotation_id=annotation_157777&feature=iv]YouTube - Zeitgeist [Religion[/nomedia]

[nomedia]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjAegPhQOUg&annotation_id=annotation_926647&feature=iv]YouTube - Zeitgeist [Religion[/nomedia]

the problem you have is that there are a lot of these guys who don't go into smackdown will take you serious, so a little truth in lending is in order.

Even if a lot of guys don't go into smackdown, I expect most people would be able to tell right away that I was just going over some of the more popular lines that people use on this site. And I believe if they look in my signature they should be able to tell where I really stand. I don't think everyone on this site is like CobraRacer46.

Silver03Termi

Established Member
The entire Old Testament was translated from Hebrew to Greek, 300 years before Jesus Christ was born. Its true there were several New Testament gospels rejected though. Many had glaring inconsistencies and there were also many fake gospels being written be the enemies of Christianity.

Its true early Christianity was manipulated by powerful leaders. It wasn't difficult to do though. Many people of that period of time were not able to read the Bible for themselves. Many people didn't have the privilege of learning to read, let alone knowing how to read in Greek and later on in Latin. Bibles were also rather expensive, sometimes only the clergy had them. Christianity had its ups and downs due to people not being able to read and study it themselves en mass. As we've seen through time, Christianity has changed radically as more people have learned to read and read the Bible for themselves. A lot has changed within Christianity, but the message has never changed since Jesus Christ died. Fundamentally speaking, you either believe Jesus' outrageous claims or you don't. But its very clear that Jesus' claim to be the doorway to eternal salvation, is unlike any message offered from any of the world religions. It's a my way or the highway type of approach.

What about the Crusades? The Muslims and Christians had their early battles, but it wasn't a strictly religious venture. There were plenty of government officials walking after their own lusts by using Christianity as a weapon and keeping people from being able to read the Bible for themselves. We still have at least 20 million Americans today that are illiterate. The levels of illiteracy in that period of time was extraordinary. Governments have done plenty to control people and they were doing it long before Christianity became popular. Sure many deaths were caused by Christianity, that's indisputable. But the death toll from the Crusades was a drop in the bucket compared to the death toll produced by faithless leaders in the 20th century. That death toll being close to or greater than 100 million based on what figures you trust. Hello? We're supposed to be advancing and growing as a civilization yet we're wasting people away in monster numbers just a few decades back. And you can attribute that carnage to faithless leaders.

Every major world religion has some history of violence. But governments bearing no religious message whatsoever are responsible for more death and destruction than any world religion. However, the New Testament message isn't one of converting people under the penalty of death. The institutions that claim to be representative of Christianity are very different than the message provided int he Bible. It's like stating that the Catholic Church is the official spokesman for Christianity. Which it certainly is not.

Ive highlighted the reasons why I don't put faith in ORGANIZED religion, and not just religion in general. I suppose I should have made that clear in the beginning. Sure Ill agree with you and say that gov't has killed more than religion, but, I'm only a part of my gov't for my short time on earth, I will forever be a part of the religion I eventually chose to follow. So gov't really isnt an issue here. For me it boils down to this "if a religion, which religion, and why not any other religion?" Certain religions will have you believe that they are the ONLY way to eternal life. Those religions or institutions have no value to me. Christianity (you can use whatever religion you like for the previous word, the point is the same) is less than half of the worlds religion. Is the other half going to be damned? Even if they were good people? Doesn't the Bible say that you have to believe in Jesus and live as a Christian to get into heaven? What about the Dali Lama? Is he in hell? He lived his life up to par with even the best Christians. I just don't think that any religion has gotten it right yet.

jsd512

Wannabe Ghostbuster
Established Member
Let me take a wild shot in the dark - the athiest crowd will vote, maybe, all fiction and Christians will say, either all fact or a little of both. How did I do? ;-)

jsd512

Wannabe Ghostbuster
Established Member
Interesting how people can pick BOTH. Is that so we can choose which parts we want to believe or follow? Or is that because there are a lot of things in it that have been proven false by science and people are adjusting accordingly?

I believe some Christians feel that some of the stories should not be taken literally but are in fact metaphoric - I think that is what the OP was getting at.

stangin99

Established Member
Jesus was a great MAN. He did great things, and inspired people to also do great things. But in the end he died because he was a MAN.

The rest is a story book for children.

LaFlavor

Established Member
Let me take a wild shot in the dark - the athiest crowd will vote, maybe, all fiction and Christians will say, either all fact or a little of both. How did I do? ;-)

If my vote is any indication, not so well.

I don't think you'll find many who argue that much of the history in the bible is fairly accurate. There is, however, a big difference between being correct about the name of a king of a certain country at a certain time and being correct about the nature and wants of some all-powerful being living in the sky.

Nobody has been able to show me any evidence to support any supernatural claim in any book, and claims of the supernatural require a lot of evidence. Therefore, I'll refrain from buying into any of those claims for the time being.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
The Bible is factual, that does not make everything in it literal, there is a difference. Some parts of the Bible are meant to be interpreted and, as such, will be victim to whatever mistakes that the first interpreter makes. As a whole though, I believe the Bible to be a fairly accurate word considering how many generations and translations it has survived through.

word

65fastback2+2

Established Member
If my vote is any indication, not so well.

I don't think you'll find many who argue that much of the history in the bible is fairly accurate. There is, however, a big difference between being correct about the name of a king of a certain country at a certain time and being correct about the nature and wants of some all-powerful being living in the sky.

Nobody has been able to show me any evidence to support any supernatural claim in any book, and claims of the supernatural require a lot of evidence. Therefore, I'll refrain from buying into any of those claims for the time being.

you have a brain that thinks logically and can make out thought patterns.

animals do not.

this difference, is what a Christian would call God's "breathe of life". Or, soul. ala, supernatural.

its pretty evident to me.

rjs281

Established Member
The bible was put together buy Men. The council of nicea is where they started. It was finished around 60 years later. There were many books that were not included. They were picked buy people so there can be mistakes in them. Thats why some can believe parts and not all.

Last edited:
Ive highlighted the reasons why I don't put faith in ORGANIZED religion, and not just religion in general. I suppose I should have made that clear in the beginning. Sure Ill agree with you and say that gov't has killed more than religion, but, I'm only a part of my gov't for my short time on earth, I will forever be a part of the religion I eventually chose to follow. So gov't really isnt an issue here. For me it boils down to this "if a religion, which religion, and why not any other religion?" Certain religions will have you believe that they are the ONLY way to eternal life. Those religions or institutions have no value to me. Christianity (you can use whatever religion you like for the previous word, the point is the same) is less than half of the worlds religion. Is the other half going to be damned? Even if they were good people? Doesn't the Bible say that you have to believe in Jesus and live as a Christian to get into heaven? What about the Dali Lama? Is he in hell? He lived his life up to par with even the best Christians. I just don't think that any religion has gotten it right yet.

I don't think anyone should put faith in organized religion. People should investigate the religion by reading the texts that created the religion. However, most people don't do any individual research on their own for many reasons. The more I read and study the Bible, the more I'm blown away at how complex it really is.

The biggest problem that people have with the claims of Jesus Christ is that He is God himself and that he claimed that we needed to be saved from a thing called sin. And I completely understand why people think that way. Even I have wondered at times, what fault did I have in being born with this sin? Why is sin transferred to me when I was simply born because you wanted me to be born? People don't like the idea that they need to be saved from anything. They prefer the idea that by the works of their own hand, salvation can be attained. The claims of the Bible are tough to swallow. Its not an easy life living as a Christian. Christians certainly don't live perfectly and many of us struggle each day to be a good ambassador of Christ. There is no other religion on earth that makes the bold claim that God came to earth and became a man. Humiliated Himself before His creation and allowed Himself to be killed to save His creation. And only through belief in this sacrifice can you receive eternal salvation. No other religion on earth makes this distinct claim. NONE.

I think if you believe in a Creator, then you shouldn't find it hard to believe that this Creator would choose to reveal Himself some way to His creation. With that being said, this all paths to God belief just doesn't make any sense. God would have to be a sadistic God to send conflicting messages to the world with multiple religions having very different claims. Someone has to be right.

I have no doubt that the resurrection took place. And many Jews in the days of Jesus bared witness to that world changing event. What makes the God of the Bible, the God of Israel so unique and unmistakable, is that He claims to authenticate His message in the Bible by being able to reveal the future. And He reveals the future through the nation of Israel and all the things that would befall that nation. But this God named Jesus Christ also reveals the future prior to His return. He describes the geopolitical climate that would exist in the world prior to His return. he describes environmental changes and global conflicts that would take place prior to His return. This God named Jesus Christ hangs his entire credibility on being able to tell the beginning from the end. In the Old testament book of Isaiah, God even boasts of this ability. The ability to tell the future is the only thing that satan is incapable of doing. He can counterfeit everything else. And the Bible is very clear about that. This planet was cleared for warfare a long time ago. And we are each far more important in this celestial conflict than we realize. And there is something incredible waiting for us for enduring this to the end. The Lord even stated in the New Testament that when we are resurrected, we will have a higher ranking in Heaven than all the angels that have never lived as humans! That's pretty amazing stuff right there. Unfortunately, people will not be able to claim that they weren't aware that they needed to make a decision about Jesus Christ in this life. One way or another we are all doing it. Ultimately you believe this or you don't. And the sad truth is that there are no do overs. And that's why Christ commanded all Christians to spread the word. Because the Lord wants all to be saved, but all won't.

I personally believe that we are at the end of this age. We are on the brink of seeing the return of Jesus Christ. However, before that event occurs, we will see the worst 7 years of human history. And the wrath of God will be poured out on the earth in the middle of those 7 years. And the Lord has promised to protect the believers of this generation from this wrath. And He has made an incredible, sensational and mind blowing claim that prior to this 7 year period there will be a supernatural event known in many circles by the name of the 'rapture', the harpazo, 'the gathering up' of believers when that time comes. It will be an event that changes this earth forever. And in time, we will see that event. God has revealed everything that is to come and for those that reject this as nonsense, well you are unfortunately headed for very disturbing times where demonic activity will be unrestrained on earth. I would not want to live on earth in those days. But I'm sure you've heard this all before. Choose wisely my friend. I certainly don't want anyone to perish and to lose a chance at eternal salvation.

Users who are viewing this thread