The Anatomy of a Ported Short Runner Intake

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
It looks like the power loss below 5200 isn't too awful. A flatter/more rich, a/f ratio may have helped the numbers throughout the entire range.

I've found a way to increase torque on my 96-98 short runners, I wonder if it'll work on the newer intakes as well?

Nazman

Established Member
It looks like the power loss below 5200 isn't too awful. A flatter/more rich, a/f ratio may have helped the numbers throughout the entire range.

I've found a way to increase torque on my 96-98 short runners, I wonder if it'll work on the newer intakes as well?

Ill gladly give up a few HP/TQ down low for a 50+ gain on top.

The area under the curve looks good!

Here are the number in a "simulated drag race". Assuming:

4.30 Gears
4600 RPMs Launch
6800 RPMs Shift

StockPortedvsNazPortedShortRunnerAr.gif

Made more power/torque in each gear. Not too bad!

With a shift point of ~7200RPMs I can see 3-5 MPH gain...easy!

Naz

Last edited:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Ill gladly give up a few HP/TQ down low for a 50+ gain on top.Naz

I agree and when you're not running stock gears you won't the small losses at all. The average gains that Jerome got thru the RPM range that the engine sees when at the track are pretty good.

Nazman

Established Member
I agree and when you're not running stock gears you won't the small losses at all. The average gains that Jerome got thru the RPM range that the engine sees when at the track are pretty good.

One thing that people may not see and I know you see it and I see it but is that those numbers on the little "area under the curve" are average thru the RPM band....that means not at a single point but the average thru any point thru the band.....!

As we see...there are points were the gains were insane.

I really dont know of ANY NA single mod that will bring bigger gains than this intake in there.

I mean, nitrous but we are not talking PA here. Im saying single items:

Cams = 15-20
PP Heads = 15-20
Ported Intake= 10-15
Full Exhaust = 20-25

I think that is very, very significant for the NA crowd! And based on this you dont have to spin the crap out the motor.

Naz

02SVTV6

Established Member
damn i just got a ported upper inlet and single throttle body coming in soon...a ported lower will def. help my vortech flow with my full 3" setup...i hope i get to do over time in march to get this...im sure my numbers will JUMP

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
great pics Carlos!! too bad I'm stuck with one of your old design ported shortrunners that I paid 850$ for and can't sell it for 650$... that is frustrating!!!

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
I really dont know of ANY NA single mod that will bring bigger gains than this intake in there.

Cams = 15-20

I've seen cam swaps make 30-40rwhp with appreciable gains in torque also throughout the entire rpm range and those were both .425" and .475" lift cams. However, the labor to install the cams takes them out of the range of a good bang-for-the-buck mod.

Last edited:

Bob Cosby

Established Member
Howdy. I'm in the process of (finally) putting my 99 back together. Your intake looks very promising. May I ask how long it takes to do one of the ported short-runners? My combo is as follows:

- 283 cid shortblock with light, flattop pistons, good rods, etc. It is my old F/S combo with a bit more street-friendly ring.
- Ported 03 Heads
- 00 Cobra R cams
- JBA shorties (they work pretty good!), Dr gas X (gonna get a catted X soon), SLP Loudmouth
- Currently has stock, untouched intake.

Thanks.

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
Howdy. I'm in the process of (finally) putting my 99 back together. Your intake looks very promising. May I ask how long it takes to do one of the ported short-runners? My combo is as follows:

- 283 cid shortblock with light, flattop pistons, good rods, etc. It is my old F/S combo with a bit more street-friendly ring.
- Ported 03 Heads
- 00 Cobra R cams
- JBA shorties (they work pretty good!), Dr gas X (gonna get a catted X soon), SLP Loudmouth
- Currently has stock, untouched intake.

Thanks.

That's going to be an interesting combo. :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread