Texas mile in march anyone? advice?

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Get some good fuel in there for a mile run and maybe take some timing out... even with the added intercooler in the Hellion kit, your IAT's are going to be sky high. I melted 3 pistons on pump gas in my Hellion car back in the summer, just doing a 3rd/4th gear pull on the street.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I've heard of this event but never found out if it was open to spectators...

brian@p+

Established Member
Are you running a trunk mounted ice box with the compound boost setup? IATs get stupid high even with single power adders when you're WOT for 30 seconds.

no have a 1 gallon moroso box where battery used to be. was thinking of a bigger box in trunk and icing though. How big is big enough but not overkill?

it does have a water meth kit on it and iats are only 117 at end of the quarter mile.

brian@p+

Established Member
It's not easy finding a 27 to 28 inch tall tire but it is critical fo/r success IMO
so I have the stock f1 285/35/19, they are are 26.7"
michelin pilot super sport makes a 285/40/19 which is 28" tall.

is that a good choice or is their a better tire?

thanks for the previous info Van.

Van@RevanRacing

MPSS is a great tire.

You need to look at your cooling closely. The mile will kill an engine if not tuned properly for it. I've seen IAT2's at 140 at the half and 270+ on the back end.

brian@p+

Established Member
MPSS is a great tire.

You need to look at your cooling closely. The mile will kill an engine if not tuned properly for it. I've seen IAT2's at 140 at the half and 270+ on the back end.

I am not sure what the temp will be in march. The car definitely is good at 60-70 degrees where I am from. How much water tank capacity do they run on a gt500 ?

All the factory safety's in the tune have been untouched for iat and ect just in case. But I don't want to see over 150 iat.

brian@p+

Established Member
Just leaving for home. But had a great time. Ran a couple 186.8 runs. Thanks for the advice guys. Was very different than drag racing. Put Michelin pilot super sports 28" tall on it. The NGK bkr7 plugs and ran some vp just in case the gas isn't as good as back home. All went well IAT's never hit more than 143. Now for the 2700 mile drive home.

Last edited:

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Just leaving for home. But had a great time. Ran a couple 186.8 runs. Thanks for the advice guys. Was very different than drag racing. Put Michelin pilot super sports 28" tall on it. The NGK bkr7 plugs and ran some vp just in case the gas isn't as good as back home. All went well IAT's never hit more than 143. Now for the 2700 mile drive home.

Congratulations.

bFoxGt500

Established Member
Brian, I came by and checked out your double compound boost while you were on grid but had forgotten about your posting leading up to this. My bad - I should have remembered and ontroduced myself. Anwway, you got some great runs and with the ability to drive it back and forth (from freaking Saskatchewan) is a tremendous feat. Congratulations! Did they get any runs in on Sunday? I waited on grid early morning, decided they were not going to get a dry track, so packed up and left. I only ran 169.8 so was disappointed. I think I should have gone to 28" tires. Had swapped gears down to 2:73 and they might have been a bit too high. Have a great trip back home !

Van@RevanRacing

Saw you run a few times. Car sounded really cool with the turbo's leaving the line.

Nice run and have a safe drive home. Shame we got rained out Sunday. That cold air and 20 MPH tail wind was going to produce some really nice speeds.

brian@p+

Established Member
Saw you run a few times. Car sounded really cool with the turbo's leaving the line.

Nice run and have a safe drive home. Shame we got rained out Sunday. That cold air and 20 MPH tail wind was going to produce some really nice speeds.

Thanks Van. And yes we waited till the end in hopes of a run on Sunday. Almost, darn Mother Nature was just a tease.

brian@p+

Established Member
Brian, I came by and checked out your double compound boost while you were on grid but ad forgotten about your posting leading up to this. My bad - I should have remembered and ontroduced myself. Anwway, you got some great runs and with the ability to drive it back and forth (from freaking Saskatchewan) is a tremendous feat. Congratulations! Did they get any runs in on Sunday? I waited on grid early morning, decided they were not going to get a dry track, so packed up and left. I only ran 169.8 so was disappointed. I think I should have gone to 28" tires. Had swapped gears down to 2:73 and they might have been a bit too high. Have a great trip back home !

Thanks. Was a little tired there from all the driving. So didn't get to talk to everybody either. My car has 3.55 gears. I did manage to get 28" tires all around. I went through traps at 5960. We stayed till the end bit nobody got any runs. Tim the guy with the fast Porsche said the wind on sat and Sunday was slowing everybody down. He said that the tailwind would probably add 5 mph to us. So too bad it kept raining

PRP

Established Member
My car has 3.55 gears. I did manage to get 28" tires all around. I went through traps at 5960.

I'm looking to buy a set of 20" tires for the upcoming Mojave Mile in CA. What size tires were those to get you the 28" tall tire? And I assume that is on 20" wheels, right?

Van posted his recommendations in a recent thread either here on SVTP or on TS, but I can't find it. If Van sees this, can you repost that information?

Thanks In Advance,

Phill Pollard

brian@p+

Established Member
I'm looking to buy a set of 20" tires for the upcoming Mojave Mile in CA. What size tires were those to get you the 28" tall tire? And I assume that is on 20" wheels, right?

Van posted his recommendations in a recent thread either here on SVTP or on TS, but I can't find it. If Van sees this, can you repost that information?

Thanks In Advance,

Phill Pollard

I had 19". But 285/45 and 255/45

bFoxGt500

Established Member
The 28" tires is something I will do next time. I sat on Grid early Sun morning for about 2 hrs. When it looked to me like the rain was going to come in later that morning, I decided to leave. It was clear about 1 hr up Hwy 59 so I wasn't sure I had made the right decision - sorry to hear the track never went hot.

Users who are viewing this thread