Texas mile in march anyone? advice?

brian@p+

Established Member
So I have a 2010 compound boost car, has coilovers and BMR lowering springs. Going to race the Texas mile sounds like a lot of fun.

Any advice on tires, ride height rear control arm geometry or pinion angle would be appreciated or anything that would be helpful.

Maybe will meet some members as well?

Van@RevanRacing

So I have a 2010 compound boost car, has coilovers and BMR lowering springs. Going to race the Texas mile sounds like a lot of fun.

Any advice on tires, ride height rear control arm geometry or pinion angle would be appreciated or anything that would be helpful.

Maybe will meet some members as well?

Coilovers in the front ? Brand and spring weight?

RWHP?

Other suspension mods?

Gear Ratio?

brian@p+

Established Member
Hi Van, I thought more people would be going...

Anyways, long time dragracer, this is my everyday car.
3.55 gears, RXT clutch, aluminum driveshaft.

It has qa1 single adjustable up front with a drag coil, not sure the spring rate because the car came this way.

I put BMR rear lowering springs in about 1.5 drop, car is set pretty level.
After market k and tubular arms.

Rear has Team Z race(rod end ) suspension with upper in stock location and lower dropped to tyop hole on bmr relocation bracket.

Rwhp is 636 on 13psi, pump gas no meth, 18 psi meth 750rwhp. Oringinal owner and member on here blknite had e85 I switched back to 93 pump and a water meth kit.

Car was from Texas and has a bigger rad, 2nd air/water cooler, large heat exchanger with fans and 1 gallon resovoir.

Has 80 lb injectors, hellion 62mm turbo kit, fore fuel system.

I am driving down and would like to drive back :)

It looks like a lot of fun!

Last edited:

bFoxGt500

Established Member
I am curious as well since I am going back after a couple years layoff (and at least one frustrating but failed (and expensive) attempt to attend last fall). I should have about 735 RWHP or so with the Mile tune and race gas. Am running FRPP springs/shocks and BMR LCA, UCA & PH from Van. Doubt I'll push it that hard but with newly built motor and Ford GT cams, I'm told I could push the rpm's to better than 7000. Gears are 3:73 and am wondering if I I'll run out of gear.

Van@RevanRacing

Hi Van, I thought more people would be going...

Anyways, long time dragracer, this is my everyday car.
3.55 gears, RXT clutch, aluminum driveshaft.

It has qa1 single adjustable up front with a drag coil, not sure the spring rate because the car came this way.

I put BMR rear lowering springs in about 1.5 drop, car is set pretty level.
After market k and tubular arms.

Rear has Team Z race(rod end ) suspension with upper in stock location and lower dropped to tyop hole on bmr relocation bracket.

Rwhp is 636 on 13psi, pump gas no meth, 18 psi meth 750rwhp. Oringinal owner and member on here blknite had e85 I switched back to 93 pump and a water meth kit.

Car was from Texas and has a bigger rad, 2nd air/water cooler, large heat exchanger with fans and 1 gallon resovoir.

Has 80 lb injectors, hellion 62mm turbo kit, fore fuel system.

I am driving down and would like to drive back :)

It looks like a lot of fun!

There are a lot of Shelby's signed up for the Texas Mile. Not all of them are on SVTP. I would try and identify the spring weight on the shock in the front. Look at that and report back.

If the springs are too soft the car will move all over on the big end.

3.55 should be ok you just need to make sure you have a tall tire. 28 or 29" would be good.

I am curious as well since I am going back after a couple years layoff (and at least one frustrating but failed (and expensive) attempt to attend last fall). I should have about 735 RWHP or so with the Mile tune and race gas. Am running FRPP springs/shocks and BMR LCA, UCA & PH from Van. Doubt I'll push it that hard but with newly built motor and Ford GT cams, I'm told I could push the rpm's to better than 7000. Gears are 3:73 and am wondering if I I'll run out of gear.

Fox, I hope you have done something with respect to your alternator. You should run a larger diameter alternator pulley if you plan to push the car to 7,000 RPM and I wouldn't go past 7,200 if you can help it.

Again, 3.73's are not a bad gear (not my gear of choice) but you need a really tall tire.

Remember, NO DRAG RADIALS.

bFoxGt500

Established Member
Great suggestion on the alternator pulley Van - Thanks! I had not thought of it. Not sure about the tires though. I run a straight setup for the road courses (the 255/45/ZR 18's that are GY for the Shelby KR - UTQG 180), which is what I had planned (especially since my dailys are the standard GY's. They are therefore standard diameter (27"). So do I need taller tires as well? Car rides pretty stiff and If I can ever find the adjustment tool for the FRPP dampers (M-1800-C, Dynamic Suspension), I'll stiffen them up as much as possible. I think (hope) I've solved the overheating problem I was having last summer, which was at least partly due to a bad seal on the Whipple that caused it to leak oil.

Brian - i suggest you book your room quick as they will sell out in Beeville and you'll end up in Goliad or some other town 25 miles away. An old fart like me gets Motel 6 for abuout 63 bucks (70 for the young Turks).

Van@RevanRacing

Great suggestion on the alternator pulley Van - Thanks! I had not thought of it. Not sure about the tires though. I run a straight setup for the road courses (the 255/45/ZR 18's that are GY for the Shelby KR - UTQG 180), which is what I had planned (especially since my dailys are the standard GY's. They are therefore standard diameter (27"). So do I need taller tires as well? Car rides pretty stiff and If I can ever find the adjustment tool for the FRPP dampers (M-1800-C, Dynamic Suspension), I'll stiffen them up as much as possible. I think (hope) I've solved the overheating problem I was having last summer, which was at least partly due to a bad seal on the Whipple that caused it to leak oil.

Brian - i suggest you book your room quick as they will sell out in Beeville and you'll end up in Goliad or some other town 25 miles away. An old fart like me gets Motel 6 for abuout 63 bucks (70 for the young Turks).

Fox

27" tall tire should be fine. I've always run 27" and 28" tall tires at the mile with a 3.00 Gear (9" rear)

PA Performance makes a larger diameter pulley for your alternator so you don't over spin it at 7,000 RPM. It will require a new belt it is that large but it keeps from killing alternators. Billet Pro Shop also offers one however you need the largest diameter possible so as not to over spin the alternator.

Word of advice for all 2007-2010 GT500 Owners going to the Mile or taching your car over 6300 RPM on the street, track or strip. A larger diameter pulley on the alternator will keep the speed down in the higher RPM band.

bFoxGt500

Established Member
Thanks Van, I went ahead and ordered the BPS 10% oversized pulley right after your post (checked your site first). From what I could tell, the 10% was the only choice they had. Didn't think about PA, which I see now I should have. I am also considering going with a 28" tire - just need to find one that fits the OE wheel, if that's possible.

Van@RevanRacing

Thanks Van, I went ahead and ordered the BPS 10% oversized pulley right after your post (checked your site first). From what I could tell, the 10% was the only choice they had. Didn't think about PA, which I see now I should have. I am also considering going with a 28" tire - just need to find one that fits the OE wheel, if that's possible.

It's not easy finding a 27 to 28 inch tall tire but it is critical for success IMO

brian@p+

Established Member
we are staying with a friend about 40 minutes away. Corpus Christy? I believe

brian@p+

Established Member
1/4 mile trap conversion?
On another forum board I read that you multiply your 1/4 mile trap speed (130)*1.33 to get mile trap speed.(172.9)

is this at all acurate? (was from a camaro forum...lol)

fullboogie

Established Member
On a different note - there is very little in the way of food, water and other supplies at the track. Definitely bring a cooler with everything you'll need for the day.

90goldtsiawd

here 4 da laffs & cruelty
Established Member
1/4 mile trap conversion?
On another forum board I read that you multiply your 1/4 mile trap speed (130)*1.33 to get mile trap speed.(172.9)

is this at all acurate? (was from a camaro forum...lol)

Anybody?

Van@RevanRacing

The quarter mile conversion doesn't really compute based on my experience. That's too generic to say that will happen to every car especially based on wind resistance, tuning and cooling. It's probably within 10 mph though.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I have seen a formula, but it required coefficient of drag and frontal area in sq. ft. Aerodynamics play a bigger role once you get out past a 1/4 mile.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Are you running a trunk mounted ice box with the compound boost setup? IATs get stupid high even with single power adders when you're WOT for 30 seconds.

Users who are viewing this thread