Texas mile in march anyone? advice?

Van@RevanRacing

I'm looking to buy a set of 20" tires for the upcoming Mojave Mile in CA. What size tires were those to get you the 28" tall tire? And I assume that is on 20" wheels, right?

Van posted his recommendations in a recent thread either here on SVTP or on TS, but I can't find it. If Van sees this, can you repost that information?

Thanks In Advance,

Phill Pollard

Phill

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2

295/35/20 28.1" Tall

or

305/35/20 28.4" Tall

Van

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
FWIW, I ran the mile with 315/35-20 MPSS on the rear of my car. It's 28.7" tall, but you can run 187 mph in 5th at 6,250 rpm on the later cars. 2010 - 2012 have a higher 5th gear ratio. My highest speed was 185.4 mph.

bFoxGt500

Established Member
I believe I would have gotten about 5-6 more mph with 28" tires - but they are hard to come by with my 18" wheels. Although I'd like to get 19" wheels, I've already gto two sets of the 18's, so that will be a while. I also know that I left at least 100 RWHP in the engine by not getting it tuned before the event (which was the plan).

Van@RevanRacing

Brian before October give me a call and let's discuss technique. You're both doing a good job but I see a couple areas where you could have better stability behind the wheel and inspire more confidence at the Mile. Good work.

brian@p+

Established Member
Thanks Van. That would be great. I was in the red. First run was intimidating. Glad they have the drive through and make you licence! And I have my NHRA licence and drag a 8 sec 10.5 tire fox body. Lol

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
I believe I would have gotten about 5-6 more mph with 28" tires - but they are hard to come by with my 18" wheels. Although I'd like to get 19" wheels, I've already gto two sets of the 18's, so that will be a while. I also know that I left at least 100 RWHP in the engine by not getting it tuned before the event (which was the plan).

to bad no DRs allowed......

I see a 285/45/18 P Zero available - pricey... 28" tall, about the only one I could find after 10 mins of looking.

bFoxGt500

Established Member
[/QUOTE] I see a 285/45/18 P Zero available - pricey... 28" tall, about the only one I could find after 10 mins of looking.[/QUOTE]

Holy smoke - did I really see these on TR for $556. Yikes!

FischerMotorspo

Established Member
to bad no DRs allowed......

Agree...

Two teams went out with them setup incorrectly (rim width/tire pressure), and had "incidents". Mile tried to get said tire manufactures to give them a letter stating it was ok to run them. Of course the attorneys wouldn't oblige for liability reasons.

They should be legal... but mandatory with double bead-locks.

Anyone that disagrees should investigate how tires receive their speed ratings and how torturous the test are (how long they run the test, how much they load the tire, how much heat they generate)... if they still disagree after that then they should check out all the drag cars running 4.10's to the 1/8 at over 194mph and 6.50's at almost 230mph in the 1/4 on drag radials. Way more torture than the mile track puts them through.

Granted they run longer at the mile and this builds more heat than 1/4mile. Tire failures are typically from overheating the belts at the edge of the tire. A good friend of mine used to be head of motorsports for x tire company... through him I spoke to engineer that designed x drag radial at x tire company. In depth discussion about drag radial construction followed by where to measure the temps and what the limits were... followed by testing said radials at the mile over 200 before they were outlawed. Temps were well within safe ranges at 25 psi and a little over 200mph.

I'd like to see more guys battling to get DR's back but with a dual bead lock requirement.

Just my $.02

Cheers

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
bfox - yup, like I said pricey

Shawn - why the beadlock? Soft bead setting?

FischerMotorspo

Established Member
why the beadlock? Soft bead setting?

Double Bead-locks keep the bead from being unseated at high speed from the centrifugal forces on the tire. At high speed, especially with lower tire pressures and wider rims, the centrifugal force is high enough to grow the center of the tire to the point that it unseats the bead of the tire from the rim. At this point the tire looses pressure and a chain effect of ugly things occur. *Note* All fast DR drag cars are dual or, at min, single bead lock cars.

It has the added benefit of prevent tire/rim slip too but it's mainly there to keep the bead "seated" to maintain tire pressure at high rotational speeds.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread