Tesla Owner Stuck, can’t charge in the cold

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
Image1672176470.611031.jpg

A video recorded by a Tesla owner has gone viral after he demonstrated how his Model S vehicle refused to charge at a Supercharger station due to the cold weather.
According to Domenick Nati, Elon Musk left him "stranded on Christmas Eve.
Electrek reports that a Tesla owner named Domenick Nati, a radio host in Virginia, has gone viral after posting a video showing his Tesla Model S unable to charge in the cold weather. It was reportedly around 19°F - or -7°C - at the time of the video recording.
Nati claimed that he first tried to charge his car at home but it failed to take on energy. He then traveled to a local Supercharger station where he posted a video of the vehicle failing to charge on TikTok.
When attached to the Supercharger, the vehicle displayed a message stating that it was heating the battery pack to prepare it for charging, but an hour later the car had not begun to charge. Nati said that he reached out to Tesla but could not get a response by Saturday.
Electrek provided its own insights on the topic stating:
"First off, it's true that electric vehicle charging is affected by colder temperatures, but this is not normal.
It takes time for the battery pack to warm up enough to accept higher charge rates. That's why Tesla built in a feature that enables the battery pack to condition itself for charging ahead of time if you enter a charge point in the navigation system.
So yes, there are issues with charging in colder temperatures, but this is not it - this is a malfunction with this gentleman's specific vehicle”

dan1982

Established Member
View attachment 1774920

A video recorded by a Tesla owner has gone viral after he demonstrated how his Model S vehicle refused to charge at a Supercharger station due to the cold weather.
According to Domenick Nati, Elon Musk left him "stranded on Christmas Eve.
Electrek reports that a Tesla owner named Domenick Nati, a radio host in Virginia, has gone viral after posting a video showing his Tesla Model S unable to charge in the cold weather. It was reportedly around 19°F - or -7°C - at the time of the video recording.
Nati claimed that he first tried to charge his car at home but it failed to take on energy. He then traveled to a local Supercharger station where he posted a video of the vehicle failing to charge on TikTok.
When attached to the Supercharger, the vehicle displayed a message stating that it was heating the battery pack to prepare it for charging, but an hour later the car had not begun to charge. Nati said that he reached out to Tesla but could not get a response by Saturday.
Electrek provided its own insights on the topic stating:
"First off, it's true that electric vehicle charging is affected by colder temperatures, but this is not normal.
It takes time for the battery pack to warm up enough to accept higher charge rates. That's why Tesla built in a feature that enables the battery pack to condition itself for charging ahead of time if you enter a charge point in the navigation system.
So yes, there are issues with charging in colder temperatures, but this is not it - this is a malfunction with this gentleman's specific vehicle”
**** HIM... HE IS GETTING WHAT HE VOTED FOR. I HOPE IT CATCHES ON FIRE AND ITS NOT INSURED AND THERE IS NO WARRANTY.LET HIM GET ON THE RADIO AND CRY LIKE A LITTLE BITCH ABOUT IT,

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
If this were lots of BEV shit boxes having trouble in the cold then it would be news. But 1 car? Eh, it happens to the best of cars.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
It's well known that cold temps severely cut into total range.
Yeah, I get it. I've lost many batteries and had plenty of no-starts in the cold over the years in MN, ND, and WI. One BEV failure to endure the cold is not news.

Tezz500

Established Member
Yeah, I get it. I've lost many batteries and had plenty of no-starts in the cold over the years in MN, ND, and WI. One BEV failure to endure the cold is not news.

Breitbart seems to think so...

They thought so hard about it they wrote a news article.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
SIL's 2015 Chrysler Town & Country, with the original battery, sat in our driveway M-F last week during pretty much solid sub zero temperatures without being started.

Friday morning at 7am, with a -11F temp, I went outside and started her van without any problem. It popped right off. The power steering unit growled like hell though.

ArabianOak

Established Member
i was lucky enough to change my daughters car batter in -36 windchill a few days back. she has a 2015 gla 45 amg benz. original battery...so not upset with that.

my body has still not recovered. i had to come in every few minutes to warm up and avoid frost bite. it felt like i was working on apollo 13...trying to get as much as i could done each time in 2-3 minutes. brutal.

Tezz500

Established Member
You guys are missing the point, it was 19 degrees outside and that dumb mother ****er actually left his house..... to charge his car.

It wouldn’t charge at the house. So he had to go to make sure it wasn’t the house charger. And you know… got stuck.

Dude’s a ****ing moron.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
You guys are missing the point, it was 19 degrees outside and that dumb mother ****er actually left his house..... to charge his car.
This is our BEV future. When you need a charge for Monday morning and your car takes HOURS to charge, there's no way to stop for 5 minutes on the way in to work to fuel up. You gotta find that e-juice somewhere, somehow.

And 19F is a warm winter day. No big deal going out in 19F.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It's well known that cold temps severely cut into total range.
Yes, it is. No new news on that. IMO people who buy EVs today have to know and accept that cold weather can be a bitch. I've quite a few Teslas driving around my area during the summer and fall months. I'm going to try to keep a mental track of how many are seen here during January and February when temps typically average in the low 20s and teens.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
So, this doesn't happen to all EV cars, does it? Did this guy have a defective battery or something?

EV's are gayer than gay anyways. Hard pass for me. Never.

Users who are viewing this thread