Terminator value go down lately

CobraKid04

Established Member
For + - ~ $20 grand?

Show me a 20k cobra with under 30k miles, tvs, and all supporting mods.

You would need 25-30k+.

Like the hellcat ? Or ...

How about an c6 ls3 or c6 z
25-30k for stock under 30k milel ls3.
35k-40k modded c6z

15-17 GT 20-25k

Ls3 camaros 20-25k. Not a fan myself.

If you want cheap performance those all perform better than a Terminator.

Not to mention
Braking (terminators suck)
Turning ( irs in termi suck) love the look though.
And luxury items ( which I could care less about this one)

Gotta disagree.

To build a Terminator clone you'll be $20k into a GT or Mach 1.

If your talking cars from that generation, yes Terminator is the way to go.

Coyotes sound like ass compared to a 4V.

Early GT500's are ugly and when new the extra 100hp was lost to the extra weight.

Don't disagree not a fan.

Cobra has built a massive cult following based on being the first boosted American Muscle that put the hurt on the street racing scene. Hell, a slightly modded Cobra is still going to ruin a brand New stock Coyote owners day and look and sound way cooler doing it.

People thought thr Supra platued 10 years ago at $40k, now we're seeing 6-figure MKIVs.

A few other key points.

Last of the small mustangs.
Last of thr Fox Chasis
First IRS Cobra ('99)
First Blower Cobra (modern)
First Forged Short Block (exclud. Pistons)
First Social Media Darling
Last SVT
Free of cheesy "Shelbyyyy" gimicking.
Terminator had forged pistons as well. Made by zollner.

Then we have the whole legacy of how this car beat the bean counters and loaded up a 24 year old chasis with the best of the best in 2003 to take a giant crap on Chevy and the 2003 Camar.....ohhhh

The other enjoyment is similar to why people love the Air cooled Porsche 911. The sketchy suspension makes it thrilling to drive. The engine isn't as modern as a Coyote but it just sounds so much better. The shifter, steering wheel and seating position are all awkward and give the car a very unique feel. If you been in an old 911, it's a very similar "so cramped but can't reach anything feeling".

Agreed

The S550 is also a touring sports car in proportion, capabiltuy, feeling and handling. It doesn't have that sloppy raw shit yourself muscle car feel that a Terminator has.

True but it's performance capabilities are superior. Unless you are talking straight line only.
So if anything, the fact that you can build a good replica for $20k is actually what is keeping prices down. If we didn't have GT and V6 New Edges, prices would be a lot higher.

You better get ready for when the early GT500's being priced lower then the Terminator is the norm. Already having overlap.

Agreed
View attachment 1552882

Also, just to be clear on my position.

I want another terminator and will have one. I'm just talking about why the high priced cobras are sitting so long. Yes financing has a lot to do with it as well.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Why?? I think nice clean decent mileage cars have plateaued and this is probably as low as they’re going to get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
IMO there over priced.

Great car but not worth the value they sold for new. Most have worn driver seats even with under 10k miles on them.

BADBOYSVT

Established Member
I learn so much today , I like when peoples talk good about the terminator :D
Gotta disagree.

To build a Terminator clone you'll be $20k into a GT or Mach 1.

Coyotes sound like ass compared to a 4V.

Early GT500's are ugly and when new the extra 100hp was lost to the extra weight.

Cobra has built a massive cult following based on being the first boosted American Muscle that put the hurt on the street racing scene. Hell, a slightly modded Cobra is still going to ruin a brand New stock Coyote owners day and look and sound way cooler doing it.

People thought the Supra platued 10 years ago at $40k, now we're seeing 6-figure MKIVs.

A few other key points.

Last of the small mustangs.
Last of the Fox Chasis
First IRS Cobra ('99)
First Blower Cobra (modern)
First Forged Short Block (exclud. Pistons)
First Social Media Darling
Last SVT
Free of cheesy "Shelbyyyy" gimicking.

Then we have the whole legacy of how this car beat the bean counters and loaded up a 24 year old chasis with the best of the best in 2003 to take a giant crap on Chevy and the 2003 Camar.....ohhhh

The other enjoyment is similar to why people love the Air cooled Porsche 911. The sketchy suspension makes it thrilling to drive. The engine isn't as modern as a Coyote but it just sounds so much better. The shifter, steering wheel and seating position are all awkward and give the car a very unique feel. If you been in an old 911, it's a very similar "so cramped but can't reach anything feeling".

The S550 is also a touring sports car in proportion, capabiltuy, feeling and handling. It doesn't have that sloppy raw shit yourself muscle car feel that a Terminator has.

So if anything, the fact that you can build a good replica for $20k is actually what is keeping prices down. If we didn't have GT and V6 New Edges, prices would be a lot higher.

You better get ready for when the early GT500's being priced lower then the Terminator is the norm. Already having overlap.
View attachment 1552882

BYEPOLR

Established Member
It's hard to justify the premium for a Terminator anymore. They once had the bang for the buck going for them and now that's gone. Every performance car has eclipsed the Terminator. You only buy a Terminator now, because you really love them.

What kills it for me, is everything that needs upgraded to make 550+ hp. Look at a well modded Terminator, the mods list is very very extensive.

The only reason to buy a Terminator is because you have to have a Terminator. Performance is no longer a viable selling factor.

I LOVE terminators, but there are just so many cool cars to own right now.
couldn't disagree more. Dollar for dollar it's still one of THE top dogs with THE most user friendly mod platform.

BADBOYSVT

Established Member
I'm not really looking for a modded super fast fox. I just want the "looks". My 92 engine was stock. But super clean with 39k miles when I sold it in 09.

Sorry not trying to hijack thread.
View attachment 1552888

View attachment 1552889

View attachment 1552890

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using the svtperformance.com mobile app

They are over price now since many turn into a race car . For that condition above I seen it 15-20k . But I do get one with the coyote swap done right . Dash . Irs .....

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Show me a 20k cobra with under 30k miles, tvs, and all supporting mods.

You would need 25-30k+.

Yup

How about an c6 ls3 or c6 z
25-30k for stock under 30k milel ls3.
35k-40k modded c6z

And that's well past the average Cobra price point of $15k-20k

15-17 GT 20-25k
and you now have a S550 that will get its lunch snatched by a Cobra with a pulley on the street.

If you want cheap performance those all perform better than a Terminator.

EXCEPT...

The C6 is $10-20k more and the other two don't have factory blowers. The blower is just damn fun. A C5 Z06 is priced Inline, but that's a Corvette. As for "better performance", that's really subjective.

Not to mention
Braking (terminators suck)
No, they are exciting! Stops plenty fine on the street.

Turning ( irs in termi suck) love the look though.
Swap to a SRA?

And luxury items ( which I could care less about this one)
Buy a truck or Charger if you want comfort.

Yeah, the Cobra is riding a 1979 wet noodle chassis with 1984 Corvette Brakes. It's IRS is a compromised bandaid that still has people debating its value.

But, when is the last time you went wheel to wheel racing on a track? Does it really even matter if you'd lose in a race you'll never have? People tend to get wrapped up in "the best" and fail to appreciate things for what they are.

I've owned a Boxster, an RX7 and 911. The Terminator is a hoot ripping up the back roads of Michigan and cruising the streets of Chicago. It easily blasts down the narrow winding hills around Lake Travese and the floats across the open interstates of Tennessee and Houston.

It truly is a STREET Car from beginning to end.

Last edited:

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
The Cobra is the grand daddy of the new era of muscle car. The limitation of or expectation for the car, is only that dictated by who possesses the car. How car enthusiasts view this car thirty years from now is anyone's guess. Make no mistake, what holds the price up in these cars is the continued high interest in them. The people that own them and those that want to own them, don't give a shit about the cars limitations or how it stacks up with regard to other platforms. About 18 years ago or so, John Coletti had a vision of something special and the Terminator came to life. It will always have a special place in automotive history.

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
Simply put, the Terminator is an iconic car! It was the birth of the modern boosted muscle car era. It was an awesome car straight from the factory, but it was really the modded cars that got attention from the masses. With some realitively simple bolt-on mods, these cars reached a whole new level of awesomeness. It was the modded cars that raised the demand that kept the values higher than other recent performance cars. Ironically though, it’s the virgin cars that command the highest money. I’m torn really... as an owner of a couple of pristine virgins, I absolutely love seeing all of the fantastically modded Terminators on this forum. I just cannot do that to my cars. Also, as more and more Terminators get heavily modded and beat to death, the unmolested virgins get more rare every year. This again is the irony... the modded cars got the attention and kept the values higher overall for these cars, but it’s the virgins that are at the top of the prices. With all of that said, the fact that these cars can command prices in the 30s and even into the 40s all these years later is absolutely fantastic for all of us.

BADBOYSVT

Established Member
Every race Video where 2019 + model . You always see a 03-04 terminator cobra still hang lol . That show how best car ford ever build ( accept 69 fast back )

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
... a slightly modded Cobra is still going to ruin a brand New stock Coyote owners day and look and sound way cooler doing it.

... and you now have a S550 that will get its lunch snatched by a Cobra with a pulley on the street.

I chuckled when I read this, because it reminded me of a recent street encounter I had almost to the letter. GT must've had open straight pipes or something (sounded like ass imo), but surely didn't have enough muscle to hang with my pullied Terminator. Expression on the poor driver's face was priceless.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I chuckled when I read this, because it reminded me of a recent street encounter I had almost to the letter. GT must've had open straight pipes or something (sounded like ass imo), but surely didn't have enough muscle to hang with my pullied Terminator. Expression on the poor driver's face was priceless.

LMAO!!! Yep. I did this a few weeks ago. I was out cruising my Roush. I see a guy in 17 or 18 GT rolled up on me. We did a few 30MPH rolls. Basically whoever got the jump would win. After the 3rd run we stop at a light. He looks at me with a bewildered look and then he looks at the car/badging and says "Oh S#!T, It's a Roush." Guess he seen a new edge Mustang and thought it would be an easy win. WRONG! LMAO!!!

It's always funny to see guys under estimate their opponent :D.

fivelitrecobra

Established Member
The Terminator has a mystique and cult following all of its own. The car was produced for two years in limited numbers. 2011-current GT's are a dime a dozen, tens of thousands of these cars on the road. Every year the number of Terminators available will decrease, via accidents etc. IMO I think the value will only increase over time on these cars because of the limited availability. 15 years later, it is still tough to beat from a bang for your buck and investment standpoint, that says something in itself.

94 Cobra R

Same Ol Same Ol
Established Member
What kills it for me, is everything that needs upgraded to make 550+ hp. Look at a well modded Terminator, the mods list is very very extensive.

A new blower, injectors, BAP and tune and you have 550, easily. The mods list doesn't have to be extensive. Combine that with the high cost of the new cars your talking about and I think the Terminators still come out on top.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
LMAO!!! Yep. I did this a few weeks ago. I was out cruising my Roush. I see a guy in 17 or 18 GT rolled up on me. We did a few 30MPH rolls. Basically whoever got the jump would win. After the 3rd run we stop at a light. He looks at me with a bewildered look and then he looks at the car/badging and says "Oh S#!T, It's a Roush." Guess he seen a new edge Mustang and thought it would be an easy win. WRONG! LMAO!!!

It's always funny to see guys under estimate their opponent :D.

Most Roushes are Stage 1/2, which isnt really much more than appearance/suspension.
The Stage 3 is where it's at.
The 1 and 2 most likely would have gotten walked. Then said driver would be talking smack about walking a Roush.
Never liked that about Saleen/Roush cars. To me the lower level models kinda tarnish the name for the big boys.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Most Roushes are Stage 1/2, which isnt really much more than appearance/suspension.
The Stage 3 is where it's at.
The 1 and 2 most likely would have gotten walked. Then said driver would be talking smack about walking a Roush.
Never liked that about Saleen/Roush cars. To me the lower level models kinda tarnish the name for the big boys.

I agree with you. I wouldn't waste my money on a stage 1/2. I would rather build my own Mustang visually. My 380R is basically a stage 3 with an old school Shelby style appearance package (Kind of like the old Hurst style Mustang).

I don't think he realized it was a Roush when he rolled up on me/we were roll racing. I think he seen a new edge Mustang with some stripes. He probably thought it was just a N/A 4.6 (i.e. easy kill LMAO).

CobraKid04

Established Member
A new blower, injectors, BAP and tune and you have 550, easily. The mods list doesn't have to be extensive. Combine that with the high cost of the new cars your talking about and I think the Terminators still come out on top.

You forgot
Midpipe
Catback
Intake
Idlers
Coolant Expansion tanks
Clutch
Input shaft (my 10 spline went at 460tq)
Diff brace
Lowering springs
MGW (unless u like missing 3rd)

Those are basic mods so the car will function correctly. It's a car that wasn't supposed to make so much power, so a lot has to be done to support that power.

Last edited:

94 Cobra R

Same Ol Same Ol
Established Member
You forgot
Midpipe
Catback
Intake
Idlers
Coolant Expansion tanks
Clutch
Input shaft (my 10 spline went straight 460tq)
Diff brace
Lowering springs
MGW (unless u like missing 3rd)

Those aren't all "mandatory" those are wouldn't it be nice to have in addition to.....Pretty well documented over the past 15 years that a simple blower, injector bap and tune will net you over 550. That's what your post said.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay, to get back on topic.

I think it's a little premature to be discussing Terminator values.

I see 2 problems:

First: These cars are not even considered classics yet. Although a Fox Body Mustang does not have the performance of a Terminator or the prestige of owning one, the Fox Body was last built in 1993. They are at least 10 years older than the Cobra. You don't even seen them on the streets anymore (Not where I live anyway). Look at what people are asking for good examples of a Fox Body these days. Fox Bodies are going up in value and that body style was built for years. Once the Cobra hits the classic car stage (i.e. 25 years old or older) I think it "will" go up in value. Especially since it was only built for 2 years.

Second: Every time someone posts a "What's it Worth" thread EVERYBODY always says a low number. Even Cobra owners come up with reasons to low ball the value. Who the hell is going to want to pay top dollar when "WE" Terminator owners, who are supposed the be the resident experts, say it's only worth XXXXX???? We are our own worst enemies some times.

So, until these cars get a little older/a little more rare and until "WE" owners/experts start dictating a higher premium I don't think the prices will increase.

And for those who think the Cobra's are already over priced all I can say is that's YOUR opinion. I would not pay 200K for a Lamborghini, but that's what the experts/builders say it's worth. So, if I want one I have to pay it or move on to another vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread