Terminator piston damage (pic)

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
SmokenGRA03 said:
WOW do a search and you WILL find that the SAME thing happen to my engine but this was not covered under warranty...8k later and .20 over block and J&E pistons
here I am with 515 whp & 516 wtq. I said it before and will say it again, ALL 03-04 COBRAs will have this problem sooner (Like Gra03CObra and I) or later!!!!
Even my pistons look like that but my #3 & #7 were both the same. Come to think of it ALL the pistons had some wear but 3-7 were the worse! I will take some pic and put them up this week and show you guys

BE READY TO REBUILD YOUR BLOCKS WITH NEW PISTONS!!!!
The TICK is the cause!!!!
:nonono: I'll get rid of it before I rebuild anything.... FUGG THAT! :(

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
SALEENGTROUSH said:
my car got it at 14,500... but that was after a 160mph speedo peg for 25 seconds :shrug:
whatever happened with your situation? did everything work out okay?

Seabiscuit

GIDDY-UP!!!
Established Member
Has Ford responed to any of this, or are we responsible to fix this problem ourselves?(the teflon issue, that is) Also, is this affecting both 03' and 04'?

fubu795

Banned
SALEENGTROUSH said:
my car got it at 14,500... but that was after a 160mph speedo peg for 25 seconds :shrug:

Quit threatening peoples lives and driving fast your jerk, rootus told me to relay that message!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
JB said:
the reason is because it was #7 and cylinders 7 & 8 have cooling issues....heat is what did it
I was thinking the same thing JB. And the potential for this becoming a major issue for a lot of folks is right up there. Think of all the people here who have complained about ticking and couldn't get the fix through Ford. Like others have mentioned in this thread, it makes you wonder if they have this very problem. Doesn't bode well for the future of these motors.

:(

Grey03Cobra

Established Member
KENZILLA said:
gray03cobra....question on your vortec tank. I added this to my car as well and added a fluidyne IC also. My problem is that the vortec tank leaks some coolent out almost all the time when its hot. Does yours do this? I am thinking that the rubber seal must have a crack or something in it. I thought about removing it and try some black RTV seal.

No leaks, but that could be because it isn't installed yet. I have a bunch of parts sitting in the spare room here waiting to go on next week. My deployment set me back a few months. I hope I don't get any leaks though. If I do, I will try the RTV seal (I hate leaks).

Grey03Cobra

Established Member
I-CAN-STANG said:
The only way to help prevent this is with the Apten mod right? What about a HE? Would that alone help prevent this? :shrug:

IMO the Apten definitely helps, and a better HE will go a long way. The Eaton just creats too much heat because of it's ineffieciency. My Whipple seems to run much cooler.

Grey03Cobra

Established Member
CobraBob said:
I was thinking the same thing JB. And the potential for this becoming a major issue for a lot of folks is right up there. Think of all the people here who have complained about ticking and couldn't get the fix through Ford. Like others have mentioned in this thread, it makes you wonder if they have this very problem. Doesn't bode well for the future of these motors.

:(

It's funny you mention this, because a friend of mine had "the tick", and it sounded exactly like my damaged piston sounded. Ford was giving him the runaround, but told him it was safe to keep driving. I knew I had already voided my warranty, so I decided to have the engine tore down myself to see what the problem was. I told the shop out here (CP Motorsports) about the "head tick", but once the engine was tore down it was obvious it had nothing to do with the heads (pics).

Now that everything is back together the car runs perfect.

Grey03Cobra

Established Member
quadcammer said:
Dude..........
reusing bearings is not a good idea. not to mention the stock al backed bearings are not the best.

I would have thrown in a set of fed Mogul race bearings while you were in there.

That is what I thought, but the shop working on my engine showed me the stock bearings, and they looked brand new still. In fact two shops said I should re-use them (CP Motorsports and HBR engineering). They are apparently some good bearings. They were polished almost to a mirror finish with absolutely no scoring on either the bearings, or the crank journals.

I pretty much spared no expense on the rebuild, but it would have been a waste to buy new bearings when mine were still in great shape IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread