Teenager falls to his death on amusement park ride

jshen

Established Member
This is a clip from Fox News. Can anyone explain why they'd retain a civil rights lawyer?

The family of Sampson has retained civil rights lawyer Ben Crump and personal injury attorney Bob Hilliard to represent them, according to the Orlando Sentinel.

Personal injury lawyer and former U.S. Attorney Neama Rahmani told Fox News Digital that ICON Park will "absolutely" be held liable in the incident which led to Sampson's death.

"Absolutely, they're going to be held liable. No Question," Rahmani said.

Rahmani said that the amusement park has a responsibility to keep their rides safe, and added that this case deals with a minor.
Would this incident even make it to the national news were it not for the victim being black? News medias eat this stuff up and loves to stir the racial pot. I can only speculate..From the video I saw- nobody checked on the black victim...staff were talking with the white girls and one fella walked around the victim. Frankly were I the family I would bring into the mix every specialty of lawyer that may provide help as we know how the "race card" is played. The victim was 14- who was there to supervise him? He appears to be seated alone. Why did the staff there just walk around the victim and after fall- not at least attempting to provide aid. There is nothing to lose at this point bringing in lawyers- whether there is any basis for civil rights complaint----only the courts can know.

Last edited:

MG0h3

Established Member
Would this incident even make it to the national news were it not for the victim being black? News medias eat this stuff up and loves to stir the racial pot. I can only speculate..From the video I saw- nobody checked on the black victim...staff were talking with the white girls and one fella walked around the victim. Frankly were I the family I would bring into the mix every specialty of lawyer that may provide help as we know how the "race card" is played. The victim was 14- who was there to supervise him? He appears to be seated alone. Why did the staff there just walk around the victim and after fall- not at least attempting to provide aid. There is nothing to lose at this point bringing in lawyers- whether there is any basis for civil rights complaint----only the courts can know.

Didn’t see the vid but maybe he was clearly dead? No aid to render?

I’ve rolled up on vehicle accidents and watched people walk away from the critically injured and tend to walking wounded.

Most people don’t know how to give aid and when confronted with trauma, will find a way to exit. It’s uncomfortable for them so it’s only natural behavior to walk away.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

jshen

Established Member
And that makes perfect sense. Unfortunately in the world we live in now what makes perfect sense to you and me may not make perfect sense to a jury or the family who will certainly be critical. As a former cop I have come across accident scenes and there's clearly nothing I could have done so I understand the scenario but the onlooker doesn't always understand. Especially in the cell phone era that were in now and the armchair quarterbacks

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

MG0h3

Established Member
And that makes perfect sense. Unfortunately in the world we live in now what makes perfect sense to you and me may not make perfect sense to a jury or the family who will certainly be critical. As a former cop I have come across accident scenes and there's clearly nothing I could have done so I understand the scenario but the onlooker doesn't always understand. Especially in the cell phone era that were in now and the armchair quarterbacks

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

I still am LE and I’ve seen this happen since I started in 2003.

Has nothing to do with the “now”.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Obviously the restraint system failed to due its job, wether not latched, not checked, or malfunctioned
My speculation is that the G force from free falling and the start of deceleration and him weighing 300 pounds compounded the pressures of compression. If he was wearing silky shorts or sweatpants, it would be like holding a wet bar of soap in your hand and squeezing.

Let that be a lesson to heavy Peeps.
Use caution when Skydiving, bungee jumping, I flying, free falling, physics is not your friend.

jshen

Established Member
I still am LE and I’ve seen this happen since I started in 2003.

Has nothing to do with the “now”.

I am an old goat and been LE and prosecutor since 1972. One thing I've always told my officers is never let the public see you do nothing....If nothing other than kneeling over a body...do something. That fella in the red outfit...I know he will be questioned about everything and what he did or did not do....Telling folks it isn't my job is not an acceptable answer...and looking at the video, the crowd obviously distraught.., very little emotion from the staff. Yes times are different now because now everything is on somebodys' cellphone or security camera..

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
All we know for a fact is he's dead. It's horrible.

Are there any onboard cameras and mics that record the riders while on the ride?

Do we know he never attempted to get out while he spun around at the top? Maybe he freaked out at the top, or even on the way down.

Wonder what's written in the operations manual from the manufacturer?

Wonder what the operators work instructions said?

Operator error is not acceptable root cause.

quad

Established Member

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Any kid getting squashed like a grape after falling from an amusement park ride would get media coverage.

yeah there was that poor kid that died on that water ride a few years ago. that was all over the news for a while. this is getting attention also because there is good video of the fall. had it not been for that video, it would not look so bad for the company. the news would just be, a kid fell. but when you can see it, its 100x worse for their image. i dont know how anyone could get on that ride after seeing that. i sure as hell wouldnt.

you can see that the ride comes to an abrupt stop in the freefall. that's the point where this kid slid out of his seat. if the over the shoulder harness isnt all the way in place than i can see how he could slip out. in the video you can see him in the background and how high his shoulder harness is up. based on the other riders in the video, the harness should be all the way down like it is when no one is sitting there. i cant believe that harness is the only thing holding people in there. you would think there would be a secondary restraint such as a seat belt. i guess this rides designers were super confident in their design. theyre probably going to end up adding a secondary restraint after this.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
I've been on rides like these two that failed. People died.

yikes! those were crazy. theyre essentially the same ride and the same failure. no way in hell id get on something like that in a third world country. i had a hard time getting on at the LA county fair a long time ago. especially with all the tweakers running the rides. in those countries you probably cant sue for millions of dollars. you're probably lucky if you get a free season pass out of it.

JaCobro

Luke 10:19
Established Member
Premium Member

Are there any onboard cameras and mics that record the riders while on the ride?

Do we know he never attempted to get out while he spun around at the top? Maybe he freaked out at the top, or even on the way down.

Also, was he alert and conscious, or did he panic and pass out at the top, or on the way down. Either way the harness should be made to hold a limp body in the seat. But when you are that big of a person, variables change. Definitely some negligence on all parties involved, if you ask me. However just like most things in life are at your own risk. Horrible way to go when you just wanted to have a thrill on an amusement park ride.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
Obviously the restraint system failed to due its job, wether not latched, not checked, or malfunctioned
My speculation is that the G force from free falling and the start of deceleration and him weighing 300 pounds compounded the pressures of compression. If he was wearing silky shorts or sweatpants, it would be like holding a wet bar of soap in your hand and squeezing.

Let that be a lesson to heavy Peeps.
Use caution when Skydiving, bungee jumping, I flying, free falling, physics is not your friend.

It's been a couple days and I never really thought of that. I mean, yes, the video shows him flying out, but now also having seen pictures of him prior, and you mentioning the free fall factor. Let's say he did pull down the shoulder restraint till it hit his stomach. There's a screenshot that seems to show this. Once the ride started to drop, his gut stayed in place up there, shifting into his chest as it dropped. Now there was excess space, and once the ride started to stop is when he slipped out like those water worm toys that toys-r-us had back in the day. You could grab one but the liquid still shifted and it would almost slip out of your hands.

The also messed up thing is the lack of a between the leg seatbelt. Someone, somewhere made the decision based on whatever testing and numbers they crunched that with the style of seats and shoulder harnesses, it wasn't needed. It still seems like it should be there, but it was deemed not needed. You know the owners/builders and even staff had to have made a couple comments or jokes about the lack of them, and what if someone slips out.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member

Supposedly his father was interviewed and the father said he told his friend something doesn’t feel right and said “tell my mom and dad I love them” so I think he knew he was a goner

SHOdown220

Established Member
The also messed up thing is the lack of a between the leg seatbelt. Someone, somewhere made the decision based on whatever testing and numbers they crunched that with the style of seats and shoulder harnesses, it wasn't needed. It still seems like it should be there, but it was deemed not needed. You know the owners/builders and even staff had to have made a couple comments or jokes about the lack of them, and what if someone slips out.

I didn't realize when I started this thread there wasn't a seat belt in between the legs, that's shocking. To think something that simple and that cheap would have saved this kids life. Just something there between the legs to keep someone from coming out. Insane.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I didn't realize when I started this thread there wasn't a seat belt in between the legs, that's shocking. To think something that simple and that cheap would have saved this kids life. Just something there between the legs to keep someone from coming out. Insane.

No, not shocking to me.

At some point during the design process and testing, a risk assessment was performed. They determined a restraint between the legs of the rider was not needed.

Maybe there are pressure sensors in the seat pan or prox sensors to determine rider positioning and weight distribution. IDK.

Was the ride "validated" (IQ, OQ, PQ) and certain parts PPAP'd?

There are a number of tools used to determine failures and assign root causes.

- CA/MP (cause analysis/mistake proofing)
Direct Cause - The cause that directly resulted in an event.
Contributing Cause - The cause that contributed to the event but, by itself, would not have caused the event/problem.
Root Cause - The last cause in the chain. It is not always the most significant cause in the chain.

- 5 Why's
- DMAIC
- Fish Bone diagrams
- Is/Is Not's
- etc...

Insurance companies, state criminal services, failure analysis contractors may have there own hybrid tools.

Then there's the data. -
- Materials certs
- Pareto charts
- Process Flow Charts
statistical analysis.
- Gage R&Rs
- Work Instructions
- Capability Studies
- Manufacturing data
- etc....

^This where you hire a local fork truck driver to perform the analysis.

I'm just trying to say that at one point in time, there was a standard given to this ride to open. They met that, got a green light.
Now that standard will be investigated by one, some, or other methods to see where it failed/fails and assign a cause(s).

Users who are viewing this thread