Taming the Terminator

Bigggy

Established Member
Hmm.. I was gonna go with 3.73 for the gears. Guess that only makes 1st even more useless lol

3.73 is useless for these cars if you don't intend to go to the drag strip and have the tire setup for it.

Start by driving the car as it is right now and mod later when you have a feel of the car.

I bought mine at 25yo 3 years ago and I'm being careful with this car, mine as full bolt-ons and ported blower and low-end torque can be surprising.

Last edited:

MadMad77

Established Member
I appreciate the tip, I'll have the money right off the back to do full exhaust and cai, port the blower a week or two after that

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Magnaflow CB / Bassani Midpipe no cats at the moment. In terms of volume cats or not make a huge difference. I still run stock manifolds, long tubes aren't worth $1000 to me plus all the hassles involved.

I don't know if I agree with 3.73s being useless, I like mine. I can see going from 3.53 to 3.73 might not be worth it though. I had 3.27 on a 2V, then 4.10 (with a TKO 3.27 first gear lmao 15mph 1st), now 3.73 with the Terminator/Magnum. Honestly 3.53 would be fine too, but 3.73 to me is perfect for the street 2nd ~60, 3rd ~100.

Last edited:

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
It's all about having the self control to not do stupid shit behind the wheel. I've been driving for 25yrs and I guess I'm still a work in progress but I succeed at not being stupid a whole lot more now than I did when I was 20.

MadMad77

Established Member
That's a nice setup, I've decided to roll with 1-7/8" to 3" kooks headers with kooks long tubes and borla atak offroad x

Jmurrz

Established Member
I am 20, I got my first cobra when I was 18. My first car was an Eaton bolt on car and I now drive a Whipple coupe. I have not crashed or gotten a ticket in either of them. Be smart when your driving. Respect the car, it is nothing like your sisters WRX. You seem like you are approaching it the right way, except for when you said "I want to drive it like it is supposed to be driven". That is a bad mentality. To be honest, these cars were not really meant to be driven that hard... without lots of reinforcement, things will break. And trust me, it gets EXPENSIVE. Get used to the car, learn how it reacts. Do it gradually. You will be fine, it is good to be afraid of it a little bit, being afraid means you are smart enough to know it can kill you if your not careful. I would recommend you get drag radials, they will keep you going straight most of the time.

Best of luck! Borla Stingers FTW

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Get an extra set of rims and take it to the track on some 16" bias ply slicks and get your wide open throttle cravings out of your system. You'll quickly see just how fast these cars are even in stock form. Sounds like you got the mod bug already and you don't even have the car yet. Don't forget to make a thread when you do finally get it. Stay safe.

MadMad77

Established Member
I was born with the mod bug. Would prefer an evo x or 95rx7 with a 3 rotor for the track but I always wanted American muscle, and honestly WOT with this car is bliss to me lol

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
I was born with the mod bug. Would prefer an evo x or 95rx7 with a 3 rotor for the track but I always wanted American muscle, and honestly WOT with this car is bliss to me lol

I was referring to drag racing. It'll take more money but you can make these cars handle as well.

HandBanana

Established Member
I was born with the mod bug. Would prefer an evo x or 95rx7 with a 3 rotor for the track but I always wanted something that won't EXPLODE after a couple laps, and honestly WOT with this car is bliss to me lol

Fixed.

If you've never had something fast, modding it right off the bat is a terrible mistake. You'll have your hands full with the car in stock form, if you can find one that's actually stock.

MadMad77

Established Member
This is a more odd question. Are the ways trucks put down power at all similar to a nose heavy and tail happy car like this does? Ik the 6.2 liter sierra I used to drive was real nose heavy too

SOVACobra03

I have an addiction......
Established Member
Do the irs upgrades. Miles of difference between my mainly stock 03 and my modded 04. I slide my 04 all over the place and it's very predictable once the tires are warm. Take it to a empty parking lot and learn the car.

MadMad77

Established Member
I plan on it, hopefully these suburbia cops don't insist on messing with me. They don't have anything better to do then give a kid a ticket, even if it's to learn safely

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
I plan on it, hopefully these suburbia cops don't insist on messing with me. They don't have anything better to do then give a kid a ticket, even if it's to learn safely

Lol "a" ticket, got caught doing that back in my teen years, would have been happy with "a ticket". :nonono:
Probably would have cheaper just crashing the damn car, depends on the cop I suppose.

MadMad77

Established Member
Well lol I suppose I could always ASK them first. I always play nice with the cops, they might even tell me where to go

Snake Plissken

Established Member
Best drivers are Rally and road course drivers. NASCAR=left hand turns and drag racing is reaction time.
Hit me!

Yeah, left turns at 150mph, that takes no skill or keeping a straight line at over 200mph or sometimes over 300mph.
I'd like to! lol!

Users who are viewing this thread