Taking a road trip

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
Business is taking me to Southeast WA, at the end of the month. For some reason I'm scared to fly so I'm gonna load the kids up and make the Journey in my 18' F150. I'm going to start in Denver and try to just break it up into three days of driving. I was thinking the first stop would be in Green River, WY, second stop in Boise ID, then on to Pasco, WA to complete the first leg.

Is there anything cool along this driving path that I can take my kids to and make some memories (and take their mind off the drive haha.) Kids are 9, 7, and 4. We did 700 miles to Phoenix in one day for New Years and they rode very well so I'm not super concerned about it but just looking for fun things to do on the way!

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
If it was me, I'd probably head a bit further north in Wyoming and see the Tetons and Yellowstone, then make the cut across.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
If it was me, I'd probably head a bit further north in Wyoming and see the Tetons and Yellowstone, then make the cut across.

if you have the time I'd highly recommend this, both incredible places and Jackson Hole is a fun place to stay

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I think your decision to drive is a good one. Your kids are going to much more remember the 3-day road trip through some great scenic country vs. flying in a jet. By the way, you'll undoubtedly find interesting unplanned stops along the way, especially if you don't have a strict time schedule to keep.

Coiled03

Established Member

if you have the time I'd highly recommend this, both incredible places and Jackson Hole is a fun place to stay

Both of these. There's undoubtedly great skiing at Jackson Hole right now, as well, if you're into that.

Blown 89

Established Member
I've never understood people's fear of flying. I mean, what could possibly go wrong hurling 200 people 700 mph in a tin can 30,000 feet in the air lol.

I second going out of the way to go through the Tetons and Yellowstone.

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
I thought about going to see Old Faithful and Jackson because I did it when I was a kid but we thought it would add too much time to the drive.

Anything cool in the Ogden, Boise, area?

Dusten

Established Member
I thought about going to see Old Faithful and Jackson because I did it when I was a kid but we thought it would add too much time to the drive.

Anything cool in the Ogden, Boise, area?
Not really. But the mountains in Eastern oregon and the Idaho border are beautiful.

Coz

Established Member
Premium Member
Other than the northern road along the Lamar Valley in Yellowstone, I doubt if any of the other roads are open by the end of March to wheeled vehicles. You may have to take a snowcoach or a snowmobile tour to see Old Faithful, etc.

The Beartooth Hwy leading to the Northeastern entrance of Yellowstone is also closed this time of year.

https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/parkroads.htm

I believe roads in Grand Teton National Park are open.

Coz

Established Member
Premium Member
Ogden Canyon is neat and leads to Snowbasin ski resort which was one of the sites for the Winter Olympics about 20 years ago. Antelope Island in Great Salt Lake is interesting. Park City is about 1/2 from Salt Lake City and is a neat town and will be full of skiers.

Hill AFB has a neat museum. But most of it is outside so bundle up.

Users who are viewing this thread