T56 w/ 2.97 or 2.66 first gear ratio

RyanNGrindin

Established Member
Hey everyone, have been on here for a long time but don't think I have made any posts, so hopefully I'm posting this in the right area. I have a 1998 Cobra that is basically stock. Only things done to it is the intake, exhaust, a short throw shifter, and bought some nt05rs last year. I have searched the forums and have only seen people offering their opinions on T56s going into heavily modified cars. I'm pretty sure I am firmly decided on a T56, because I've heard it opens the door for many other possibilities down the road(probably farther down the road, I'm going off to college this August). I'm just not sure between the two different ratios. I also plan on getting some 4.10 or 4.30 gears for it. Probably wouldn't hurt to have some opinions on which gears to go with as well. And if it means anything, my best time at the track was a 13.8 at around 101 finishing in 3rd gear with my t45(which is garbage and was always not wanting to go into gear). That's another reason I'm leaning towards the T56, I've heard they are so much stronger, my t45 is trashed from the guy who had the car before me. Thanks in advance!

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
I was in the exact same boat as you a number of years ago.

I got the 2.97 since I figured it would give me a little more torque in first. I have been pretty happy with it, even with a twin screw on top.

One thing you should be aware of, if you decide later to upgrade to a 26 spline input shaft, the Terminator input shafts will not work with the 2.97. I had to return one and buy the correct one from D&D when I upgraded mine.

RyanNGrindin

Established Member
Thanks for the reply! I'm thinking about buying the package that D&D has on there website to convert over. Either that or try and find somebody with a used once, which is doubtful. What gears do you have in yours? And did you happen to take it to the strip before and after the swap? Wondering if this transmission will increase or lower my time. $4000 for the package is a lot to spend if it is going to make me slower!

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
Mine's just a street car. Never been on a track. It does have a KB on it, though.

I have the stock 3.27 gears. There is a lot of low end torque with the KB, so I don't feel the need for gears. Others can probably answer your questions better than I can.

MysticChaos

Established Member
I have an 03 cobra T56 with a pro 5.0 in my basically stock 96. With the factory 3.27 gears in the rear the car was a dog. I rebuilt my rear end and upgraded to ford racing 3.73 gears, It was a night and day difference. I haven't run the car at the track, but it definitely feels faster and I love having the six speed over the five speed.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
You could spend extra money and get them to mix the gears so you could get the 2.97 1st with .62 6th or 2.66 1st with .5 6th.

RyanNGrindin

Established Member
Thanks guys, I think I will go with D&D unless I can find a deal on one. I've been looking for a couple months and haven't found any deals.

RyanNGrindin

Established Member
I talked to D&D as my builds are Centri Blowers with 3.73 gears. I'm doing a 2.97 1st and .62 6th. They are taking the 1-4th of the 2.97 and mixing with 5-6th of the .62 for about $800.

I think I'll go with the normal 2.97 setup. Most likely will buy through D&D or American Muscle. Any of you know if either place or any place will give a better deal than $3000 for the tranny or $4000 for the kit?

Users who are viewing this thread