Synthetic Oils

Scottward

Established Member
This reply will answer all three quotes above. The reason why I choose a 10W-30 over a 0W-30 is due to two important areas of engine oil performance.

1. NOACK Volatility
  • true synthetic 10W-30 will have a much lower NOACK %. This means that less oil evaporates/vaporizes, and re condenses inside the PCV system. This will allow less oil to build up inside your supercharger, intake manifold, throttle body, intake valves, and combustion chamber. People who use engine lubricants with very low NOACK report less oil contamination in their oil catch cans as well. *50% less, sometimes more depending on their previous engine lubricant being used*

2. Shearing Stability
  • The closer the first and second numbers are on the SAE ratings, the more shear stability a lubricant will have. True synthetic 10W-30 lubricants normally do not change viscosity at all. They contain little to no viscosity improvers that "cheat" the grade and can wear out. If you do not drive your car in freezing weather under 32*F, using a 0W lubricant is pointless. True synthetic 10W-30 will flow just as well @ 32*F as petroleum based 5W-30.

What I really like about the Mobil 1 0W-XX oils is that my vehicles seem to rev better and I have averaged what seems to be about 1 mpg better fuel mileage on all of them. My motors are super quite with these oils and the high moly additive along with low costs just adds icing on the cake. All UAOs on Bob is the oil guy for these oils seems to come back great and my OCI's are no longer than 5K, so shear is not a concern for me.

phack

Established Member
Switched over to RP 5W30 at about 1000 miles and all is well. I was catching a few teaspoons every hundred miles or so with the factory fill but after 500 miles with the RP I've got hardly any in my catch can.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
What I really like about the Mobil 1 0W-XX oils is that my vehicles seem to rev better and I have averaged what seems to be about 1 mpg better fuel mileage on all of them.

That's a benefit of using a true synthetic base stock, not necessarily just because it's an 0W lubricant, but I do agree with you. Scott, I also forgot to mention that their 0W-40 is true synthetic as well.

My motors are super quite with these oils and the high moly additive along with low costs just adds icing on the cake. All UAOs on Bob is the oil guy for these oils seems to come back great and my OCI's are no longer than 5K, so shear is not a concern for me.

It does return good UOAs on BITOG, but for use in the 2011 Mustang....may be more viscosity than required for the engine. With a cSt of ~13.5 and 10W-30's average in the ~10.5 range. It won't hurt anything, but just more viscosity than required.

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
How does the 0w30 mobil 1 compare to their 10w30??

Mobil 1 0W-30 and EP 10W-30 are both true synthetics. The primary difference is going to be NOACK volatility and shearing stability (lower viscosity index) as I mentioned above.

If you are not driving your car in temps lower than 32*F, mainly a fair weather driven car, I would opt for their 10W-30.

davidhuff

Established Member
Mobil 1 0W-30 and EP 10W-30 are both true synthetics. The primary difference is going to be NOACK volatility and shearing stability (lower viscosity index) as I mentioned above.

If you are not driving your car in temps lower than 32*F, mainly a fair weather driven car, I would opt for their 10W-30.
Who makes the best oil filter?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
The Amsoil EaO11 is the best full flow filter manufactured to this date, but one has still not been released for the 5.0 engine. I hope they get one soon. Royal Purple is the next best thing, and they use similar technology. RP does have one for the 5.0 engine.

I made a good post about it here.

Last edited:

davidhuff

Established Member
The Amsoil EaO11 is the best full flow filter manufactured to this date, but one has still not been released for the 5.0 engine. I hope they get one soon. Royal Purple is the next best thing, and they use similar technology. RP does have one for the 5.0 engine.

I made a good post about it here.

Thanks for the great information.

psucobra

Established Member
UB, which variation of amsoil do you recommend for a DD with occassional track use. Im asking in regards to the different series, such as XL, OE, Signature series, etc.

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
UB, which variation of amsoil do you recommend for a DD with occassional track use. Im asking in regards to the different series, such as XL, OE, Signature series, etc.

Well, no matter what you do with your car....I'm a Signature Series fan. Give me 100% true synthetic...or nothing.

Amsoil 10W-30 Signature - good for daily use and track. Will not shear and extremely low NOACK volatility. (same base stock as Mobil 1 Extended Performance, but Amsoil has a more robust additive package)

Amsoil 10W-30 XL is a highly refined petroleum/true synthetic blend (just like mainline Mobil 1 and Pennzoil Platinum)

Amsoil 10W-30 OE is 100% highly refined petroleum (just like Pennzoil Ultra)

Last edited:

scotmach

Established Member
The Amsoil signature series oils and the Amsoil filters are the best out there bar none. I use them in all four of my cars from two Mustangs and two daily drivers.

SVTDice

Established Member
You are so right!

Not to be a thorn in anybody's side but...You and your friend could not be more far from being right. There is thousands of UOA's Proving Synthetic or even Semi-Synthetics are leaps ahead Dino. :burn:

SVTDice

Established Member
When do you use 5w30 vs. 10w30? Or vice versa.

10w30 Is better for places like Florida, Texas, Nevada. Etc. Really high heat places. As far as I know its better against wear under more harsh heavy conditions.

5w30 Is better for places that don't get as hot. Or if you plan on driving places where it does get below 32 degree's. If it gets much colder then that you may want to do a 0w30. Just to be safe. However /most/ Synthetic property's of a quality 5w30 will flow properly even well below 0 degrees.

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Amsoil ATM 10W-30, because it's a true synthetic lubricant, will flow in freezing weather as well as a petroleum based 5W-30. Even in Florida, when the temperatures drop below 32*F, I still use it.

Unless I was starting my car in single digits - 0*F (or lower) weather on a daily basis, more than once a day, I would use a true synthetic 10W-30 with confidence. Most people store their Mustangs in weather like this, so a 5W or 0W isn't always required.

If you are starting your car in the harsh conditions above, I would use Amsoil AZO 0W-30.

Last edited:

Jim Vaccaro

Established Member
Switched over to RP 5W30 at about 1000 miles and all is well. I was catching a few teaspoons every hundred miles or so with the factory fill but after 500 miles with the RP I've got hardly any in my catch can.

The same experiance,,RP 5 w 30 added and much less oil in catch can..Even after running hard .... 19k miles

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
If you buy Royal Purple, I would either buy their newer HPS series lubricants, or the older bottle main line lubricants that were API SL certified. The newer main line API SN Royal Purple lubricants do not contain as robust of an additive package.

Users who are viewing this thread