Sync 4.4 update

ScreamingFast

Chicks love big Slicks!!
Established Member
Just FYI, for all you sync owners (non MFT) we have an update. I did mine on my F150 and world of difference!!! BT auto will reconnect when vehicle is started and pick up from last played song. It also displays the artist and song on the display. So if you haven't check for a update on your car or truck you might want to do so.

FJ5T-14D544-AB
Bluetooth© Connectivity Improvements:
Enhanced Bluetooth phone connection stability
Enabled track information to be displayed for Bluetooth-streamed media including metadata such as song title, artist name and album title
More robust Message Access Profile (MAP) functionality to handle SMS reception and Text2Speach output
Media Connectivity Improvements:
Improved media connectivity for USB-equipped Apple devices, as well as streamlined device initialization and authentication process
Previous USB or Bluetooth media source playback now resumed after ignition cycle
AppLink Functionality Improvements:
Better AppLink customer experience with more robust features and reliable functionality

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
^^^ Wish I knew.

I've been trying to log in to Sync since this thread was posted with excitement I'll get an update but no luck.

Love how the wife needs to file my passwords/usernames and then cannot find them later. Ha.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Is this for older Ford's because mine does this probably 99% of the time. There are times where it fails to start the song up right but it's pretty much flawless.

ScreamingFast

Chicks love big Slicks!!
Established Member
How do I do an update ?

^^^ Wish I knew.

I've been trying to log in to Sync since this thread was posted with excitement I'll get an update but no luck.

Love how the wife needs to file my passwords/usernames and then cannot find them later. Ha.

Is this for older Ford's because mine does this probably 99% of the time. There are times where it fails to start the song up right but it's pretty much flawless.

V4.4 is a software update available for 2010-2014 model year vehicles equipped with Gen1 SYNC. Logging in at: http://owner.ford.com/ is the best way to check if this update is intended for your VIN.

This update includes the following enhancements:

Bluetooth© Connectivity Improvements:
• Enhanced Bluetooth phone connection stability
• Enabled track information to be displayed for Bluetooth-streamed media including metadata such as song title, artist name and album title
• More robust Message Access Profile (MAP) functionality to handle SMS reception and Text2Speech output

Media Connectivity Improvements:
• Improved media connectivity for USB-equipped Apple devices, as well as streamlined device initialization and authentication process
• Previous USB or Bluetooth media source playback now resumed after ignition cycle

In order to download the update, make sure you have an empty USB storage drive that can hold at least 2 GB of data and is not password protected. The USB must be formatted to FAT32. Once you’re logged in at: http://owner.ford.com/ click the tab that says SYNC & HOW-TOS, followed by CHECK FOR SOFTWARE UPDATES (under the USEFUL LINKS section). If you see an update available, click DOWNLOAD SYNC UPDATE to begin the download process.

Tip: Make sure you do not download the file directly to the USB drive. If your browser prompts you to do so, choose SAVE and save the file to your Desktop instead.

Next, insert the empty USB into the computer’s USB port. Locate the .zip file, which should be saved to your desktop.

Tip: If you didn’t save the file to your desktop, you may need to look in other locations to find this .zip file (ex. “Downloads”, “My Documents”, etc.).

Are you still with me? Great! Double click the .zip file to unzip and open it. If your computer has a third party extraction program, you may need to right click the file instead and select OPEN WITH > WINDOWS EXPLORER. Three files should display (SyncMyRide folder, autoinstall.lst, install.lst). Highlight/select all three of those items. Drag and drop them to the USB drive. Select the USB drive on your computer to make sure the correct folder and files have been added to the contents of the storage device.

Tip: When viewing the contents of the USB storage device on your computer, you must be able to see the SyncMyRide folder and the additional files. If any of these are combined or deleted, the installation will not work.

Right-click on the USB drive and choose EJECT before removing it from the computer’s USB port.

Now it's time to head out to the truck.

If you have SYNC (without navigation), here are the steps you'll need to follow:

1) Press AUX until you select SYNC Line In. Press OK.
2) Press Menu. SYNC Media may display. If it does, press OK.
3) Media Menu displays, and then Play Menu appears.
4) Press Seek until System Settings is highlighted. Press OK.
5) Press Seek until Advanced is highlighted. Press OK.
6) Prompts display. Press Seek until Install Applications is highlighted. Press OK

If you have SYNC with voice-activated navigation, check out these instructions instead:

1) Start the vehicle’s engine and insert the USB drive, ignore any messages about media playback.
2) Press the Phone button
3) Press Settings, you may have to do this twice depending on if a phone is connected or not.
4) Press Advanced
5) Press the down arrow twice and press Install
6) Listen to the in-vehicle prompts regarding the status of the installation

We're almost to the finish line!

At this point, SYNC should automatically detect the files on the USB drive and display INSTALL APPLICATION. Press OK to confirm. Keep the vehicle running while this is being installed. SYNC will say INSTALLATION COMPLETE right off the bat, but you can ignore this message. It should take about 10 minutes before another INSTALLATION COMPLETE message comes up and the system may reboot. Refrain from touching any buttons until the process is completed. When SYNC displays INSTALLATION COMPLETE (after rebooting), press the MENU button to exit installation mode. Remove the USB and report your update at: Owner.Ford.com

daustin

Established Member
I just checked the site and this update is available to me. I'm gonna go do it now. I really hope it only takes 10 minutes. When I do my wife's Edge with MFT, it always takes 30-40 minutes.

RSAGT500

Established Member
Updated my 2014 F-150 last night and I'm happy with it. I'm glad it will default back to bluetooth and shows the Pandora track information on the screen. I gave up on using the mobile apps menu to run Pandora.

ScreamingFast

Chicks love big Slicks!!
Established Member
Holy hell that sounds like a pain

So is having to ask sync to reconnect to BT auto every time you restart the vehicle plus you have to go back in your phone and start your music all over again. If you do this EASY update it will be so worth it!

Last edited:

Thorpz

Established Member
Premium Member
The hardest part for me was finding an empty USB storage device. It is not hard at all to do the install.

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
I will have to try this update. The SYNC in my '14 is so horrible and practically useless that I went into settings and turned off Bluetooth so it would stop prompting me every time I started the car.

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
So is having to ask sync to reconnect to BT auto every time you restart the vehicle plus you have to go back in your phone and start your music all over again. If you do this EASY update it will be so worth it!

With my " old sync version"

I get in.. say " Bluetooth Audio" She then says Bluetooth Audio.. I then say " play"

I'll try to do it maybe next week or something

daustin

Established Member
I did the update. I was hoping it would now support text messaging with my iPhone 5s, but it still doesn't. It does show the artist and track info while streaming from my phone. It looks like mine still defaults to line in rather than BT audio after a key cycle, but I may not have given it enough time for the phone to connect before messing with it. It was still worth it given that it only took ten minutes or so.

Users who are viewing this thread