Switching to a Sullivan

1QUICK10TH

Just A GT
Established Member
I stumbled upon a great deal on a Sullivan lower with rails on Craigslist, brand new never bolted down for $550, so I decided what better time than now to ditch the air to water? Thanks to svtp I was able to sell off all my old stuff and as of now I'm dead even on the swap. Along with the Sullivan lower and fuel rails I went with the matching upper for single blade, 1" phenolic spacer, Treadstone tr1235 intercooler, and Treadstone aluminum piping kit. Here's a couple teaser pics until I really get into it tomorrow morning.

Here's a before shot

IMAG0276.jpg

During

IMAG0299.jpg

IMAG0301.jpg

IMAG0298.jpg

IMG959511.jpg

IMG956148.jpg

Done

IMAG0312.jpg

IMG_20121209_150523.jpg

IMG_20121209_150039.jpg

IMG_2353.jpg

IMG_2331.jpg

Last edited:

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Sullivan is some Serious Stuff Your gonna LIKE the results, curious to see the difference..you should see what we're doing to Rob's.. Plain Jane Sullivan TB and upper getting switched out to the Biggest fricken Sullivan stuff I've ever seen, haha! Shooting for 4.0's at the Snowbirds!:bowdown:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
You are going to benefit from some serious top end, but I think you will drop a good bit of tq and hp under the curve.. I hope you have a steep gear :)!

JP_Stang

Established Member
I was just curious, why not re'clock your blower volute so that you can run your piping straight down, out and over to your intercooler? It would eliminate that 90* piece you have coming straight off the blower....

vadorsnake04

Established Member
I was just curious, why not re'clock your blower volute so that you can run your piping straight down, out and over to your intercooler? It would eliminate that 90* piece you have coming straight off the blower....

I was thinking that myself, but there must be some reason as I have seen other similar f1 cog setups do the same thing.

1QUICK10TH

Just A GT
Established Member
I've still got a lot of work to do as far as intercooler pipes and fitting but its getting there. As far as clocking the blower, the volute will hit the fan shroud before it points straight down. Its easier to just 90* down. I'm not gonna lie, getting these pipes to fit right and make everything clean is pretty discouraging, I hope its gonna be worth the swap to air to air.

IMG956148.jpg

JP_Stang

Established Member
I've still got a lot of work to do as far as intercooler pipes and fitting but its getting there. As far as clocking the blower, the volute will hit the fan shroud before it points straight down. Its easier to just 90* down. I'm not gonna lie, getting these pipes to fit right and make everything clean is pretty discouraging, I hope its gonna be worth the swap to air to air.

IMG956148.jpg

Ahh, I see. Don't worry man. Just keep at it and take your time. You will get it just right and looking good too! I think you will be glad you did it also...

I know what you mean though. I went through the same thing when I was doing my swap. I ended up having to buy a few more pieces of pipe to get it just how I wanted it.

1QUICK10TH

Just A GT
Established Member
Yeah man slowly but surely I guess, I aggravates me that there's going to be so many couplers in the system and the piping that I got doesn't have bead rolled edges so I'm either going to have to get them rolled or mock everything up and have it welded together

vadorsnake04

Established Member
Yeah man slowly but surely I guess, I aggravates me that there's going to be so many couplers in the system and the piping that I got doesn't have bead rolled edges so I'm either going to have to get them rolled or mock everything up and have it welded together

Def. figure out a way of getting the bead rolled edges it is completely worth it as you know. I was lucky with my A/A setup i only needed 1 coupler other then where the pipes connect to the intercooler, blower, and intake.

vadorsnake04

Established Member
Vador you have any detailed pics of your piping route?

I do not, but, i would take pics right away if i could but i have my motor out right now lol. I can explain it easily though.

My head unit mounts with the standard 6rib mount from procharger just altered some to run 8-rib(moved forward). then i have the blower clocked to where the inlet faces the drivers side foglight. Then the 3" aluminum tubing runs that angle til the bottom of the core support then runs parallel with the bottom of the core support. It then 180 around to front and into the intercooler. The next tube goes out the intercooler passenger side up through where a CAI filter would sit and then the 1 coupler connects to a tube that runs to the intake which has a straight coupler off the T/B the tube has the angle peice on it.

If it would help i can take pics of the tubing on the car, just not with the motor in place?? let me know on that.

This is the pic of the one coupler i have in my setup, but again every tube ending has a rolled edge.
DSC_0151_zpsc08ad05f.jpg

Last edited:

JP_Stang

Established Member
I have 2 pipes on my setup that I cut down some to get the tight fit I wanted. I was worried about this because I cut the beaded end off the pipe. I went ahead and rolled with it like that and luckily I haven't had any problems so far. 18lbs. of boost and holding. I used t-bolt clamps for all my connections though so they help out alot. You can clean the inside of the coupler and the outside of the pipe with alcohol right before you put them together, use t-bolt clamps and I doubt you will have any issues. But if you plan on pushing some serious boost it wouldn't hurt to have them beaded. Any exhaust shop should be able to it.....atleast my exhaust shop does it and they only charge like $10 a bead.

dwtjr3

Established Member

I really like the way welded pipes look.

Also it leaves less flexing in the pipes.

If you have the time/money/or access to get em welded thats the way I would go.

It cleaned my engine bay up alot

dwtjr3

Established Member
OP do you think a IC with the IN/Out being on the same side would help?

Because then you could run the pipes they way they were in the first picture pretty much, you would just have to change a little.

1QUICK10TH

Just A GT
Established Member
How do you use that tool?

You insert the hole thing into a tube, then drive the bolt into the body which causes those ball bearings to push out against the tubing the you just twist the whole tool inside of the tubing and it pushes out a bead. It's a shame they don't make it for 3"

Blackedout

Established Member
Very interested to see the difference between the 2 set ups...:beer:

1QUICK10TH

Just A GT
Established Member
Finished up the intercooler piping, moved coolant bottle, installed wastegate and bov. Tomorrow ill fab up the bracket to mount my fpr and hopefully have my MMR coolant x over delete kit.

IMAG0304.jpg

IMAG0306.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread