Swap from paxton to turbo?

Sean@LethalPerformance

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Haha I was thinking the same thing fulanititoo8198. Just as I was starting to talk myself back to looking at the more cost conscious JT trim..

The tq on those turbos kits!!

Last edited:

GHIG'13

Established Member
I shouldn't have opened this thread and looked at that dyno.

-paxton e85 owner

I feel your pain. I am happy enough with my Paxton but I will be going CPR turbo. Problem I have now is deciding whether to sell the Paxton and all the extras or just put it all on the wifes car.

TexasStang4585

Snake eater
Established Member
I'm sure you'd notice if your builder sleeved the block, that invoice would have been about 2k more.

Here's a dyno sheet of a 1000rwhp Centrifugal SC vs 1000rwhp Single turbo if you guys are curious.....the turbo car was on a mustang dyno at that.

1000hpsetupsVortechvsturbo2_zps2beca7b7.jpg

onefastmf

Established Member
Can't wait for those numbers on that similar setup Dustin :thumbsup:

Last one trapped 150+ on 12psi ;) That was the base 76

Yeah to that's a base kit but with an older design 75mm turbo. It was something we were playing with until he does the auto swap. The new 76 that comes in the kit is only one millimeter larger, but a completely different design. Base downpipe is already 5in, she can't go any bigger captain! Lol
Dynoing a similar setup on an aluminator soon w the 76 that comes in the kit.

Kyle55

Established Member
Hey Dustin from CPR I would be much more interested In dyno graphs with same rwhp compared to psi since I think rwhp is wat blows motor. Also really interested in a comparison dyno graph of CPR kit vs hellion tt or fluid turbo or jpc single

CPRsm

Hey Dustin from CPR I would be much more interested In dyno graphs with same rwhp compared to psi since I think rwhp is wat blows motor. Also really interested in a comparison dyno graph of CPR kit vs hellion tt or fluid turbo or jpc single
JPC and fluid kits aren't out and about. Enough hellion kits out there we may have had one of ours tuned at the same place. The ones I do have that over lap are on the same dyno vs Paxton, tvs, magnason, p1sc and on3.

and heres 677 ft/lbs going low 8's at over 160......

horsepower wins races
Ehhhhhhh. If it was all about HP the torque booster wouldn't pick up so much ET ;)

Coyote'13

"He gone"
Established Member
I'm considering the options at the moment too op. Only thing I know is I'm getting a tremec and forging the motor. Just waiting to see jpc's solution to the belt slip when the blower is pushed to the limit. The idea of a turbo does sound very good though. I'm still on a 6 rib and 3.33 pulley. The 8 rib kits are pricey as it is and w/e jpc prices the solution. Might be better off selling and spending a couple thousand extra.

Last edited:

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Swaps are costly, if i were to go turbo i would have to get a new motor. Goal would be 850 rwhp, could probably do it with 12lbs of boost. Cpr kit is what $7000 mmr 1000 hp short block with billet oil pump gears $4000, boss heads $2000 cams $1000. some of us don't have time or knowledge to do the install themselves i.e. me...so another $3800 to pay for the install and tune! That's close to 18k assuming everything goes perfect! To rich for my blood...staying with my stock pully paxton @ 625rwhp......

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
I own a TVS so I'll give you my unbiased opinion...

Why 1000 HP? Do you have a certain ET goal, or just want a dyno queen sitting in your garage? No matter if you stay Paxton or go Turbo, you know the shortblock won't support that HP.
I'd keep the Paxton for now & upgrade the shortblock, fuel system, injectors, rear end, convert to E85 to be 1000 HP ready. That's a pretty good chunk of change right there! Just keep everything turbo ready, and then upgrade to a turbo (or twins). This might be a 2 or 3 year plan, unless you have $20K burning a hole in your pocket.

Almost forgot about a cage... Your going to need $$ for one to run a 1000 HP car anywhere!

Good luck on what ever path you choose...

Last edited:

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
^^^^

Exactly. You are at a minimum a shortblock and fuel system away from maxxing out the Paxton kit.

I would be more concerned with all the supporting mods needed, before worrying about something that neither the block, nor fuel system can support.

You need to have goals and a plan in mind. Unless your just wanting a dyno queen , there is a lot that goes into supporting that kind of power / and the et's that would go with it.

Then, look at your power adder if it won't get you there. Right now, that really is the least of your worries. If you decide the turbo is what you want. Lots of good options with the jpc, cpr, lund's fluid kit should be ready soon. and the Armageddon kit we have has already proven itself at 8.16. And we have some killer deals on those. But again, look towards the supporting stuff first.

Darufe

Established Member
Agree with everyone else...get the supporting mods first and max out what you got before you go turbo.
Youll need those anyway if you do chose to go turbo.

Option a: buy the turbo kit swap it out and not be able to push more then you got because supporting kods arent there. Youre short alot of money and your only advantage is turbos look cooler under the hood.

Option b: get supporting mods and crank up the boost for now. More power kore grins and when you get tired and decide to go turbo youll be ready for more power!

nsty4vlve

Got Boost?
Established Member
Im not looking for a dyno queen at all. But i am also not looking for a a drag car. yes i do see the track a few times a year but honestly i want a car for tx2k. Yes rolls are gay blah blah blah but thats not the point. I want to hang with all the big cars down there. At the moment i have decided to keep the paxton get a fuel system to handle e85 and maybe go down one pulley and aim for 680-700. Then sometime in early spring im going to start working on motor and trans getting them ready for big power. Am i looking at making 1000 hp over night? No not at all i know what needs to be done but i was looking at the pros and cons of a turbo over paxton. Like i said before i like my paxton car but i do realize that once i get higher in power im going to run into some problems which is expected in any high hp car.

Users who are viewing this thread