Swap from paxton to turbo?

nsty4vlve

Got Boost?
Established Member
I have a 2011 5.0. Car has a paxton with tq booster offroad x and a few other mods. I am trying to aim for 1000 hp and am thinking about buying a cpr or jpc turbo kit. Do ppl think its worth the time and money to swap? I like my paxton a lot nothing wrong with it but i know that it is some what limited at that power belt slip doesn't hit max power till high rpm so on and so on. Do you think the best route to go is keep the paxton build the motor and call it a day? Or sell my 5.0 and buy a boss put a turbo on it? Or sell the paxton kit build my motor and put a turbo on that? So many options and not really sure the best route to go. I'm not looking to start a fight about paxtons or turbos or any of that just looking for the best bang for my thousands of dollars =(.

TexasStang4585

Snake eater
Established Member
I was in the shoes about 9 months ago and ended up selling the paxton, going turbo, and built everything. If you can't swing a engine motor and turbo financially just stick with your paxton and build it.

calgarybandit

Established Member
I am considering selling my Vortech kit and going JPC turbo. Plan and simple anything over 3.33 pulley is allot of hassle with the belt etc.

SignalZero

Eat mor Chikin
Established Member
Belts are for pants :D just kiddin! I agree with texastang. I love the efficiency of a turbo vs blower and making more boost is a snap. 1,000 horse is easy with either kit but I like the headers and lightened k-member vs the stock stuff. Those jpc kits make some steam tho...

Good luck with your decision OP. Turbo is torque. O, I made 674 ftlbs on a 9psi "boost spike" (if you wanna call it that) with a 76/87 T6 on 92 pump with 14 deg timing lol any other time it's 651/647 on the same timing and gas at 8.5 lbs

92fiveohfox

Established Member
Depends on your budget. Obviously the turbo can make more power.

I've seen a few people say the 3.15 doesn't slip.

CPRsm

This customer made the change and loved it.
The overlay is a Torque booster with 10psi and corn. The higher numbers were still 10psi, same tuner, fuel and dyno, but w our kit. It will also spool faster, but we were trying to keep the tires under it.

turbovstorquebooster_zps6d21706d.png

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
it's all what you want.

we ran consistent low 9's on the jt trim, and the ysi put us into a solid 8 second range on a full weight daily driven car car @ 3875 lbs. Car had lighter seats and a k member, but also had a roll bar to make up for the weight pulled out.

in a lightened combo we are now in the low 8 second zone and will be going 7's before the end of the year with a ysi.

you will change belts at the track more often if you are running carbinite pulley's and the like. on the street we run a high traction, and swap to the carbinite at the track.

the jpc and cpr are nice kits, no doubt. you already have a solid base to start with though and can take it very far. Id start with a built motor and fuel system, you are far from maxing out what you have right now.

once you get to the low 9's / high 8's then cross that bridge.

Another option if you decide to go turbo is the Armageddon kit which we have available.

Last edited:

CSG

Established Member
Do a built engine & fuel system and keep the Paxton. Then if that gets old try the single out. Since you already have the Paxton it seems like a no brainer to me & I seem to swap power adders like underwear.

notchy444

Established Member
CPR Turbo enough said.... Paxton is fun for a while but leaves you wanting more and chasing turbo torque. Sell the paxton while you still can and get some money back before the 2015 hit. buy the turbo leave it at 675+ hp/ 650+ tq and enjoy it for a while till funds come in for a MMR pro mod then go nuts! hahaha That graph CPR posted was my car. Pm me with any questions.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
So sell a kit that can more than exceed the power of your engine and fuel system, to buy another kit that can exceed the limits of your engine and fuel system.

For that cost, you can have a shortblock and fuel system making 850-900 rwhp, and the ability to hold more if you go there.

The smart play is getting supporting mods in order before double buying something you already have if you have plans for big power.

nsty4vlve

Got Boost?
Established Member
What im thinking about doing is going to a 3.15 pulley on 10-11lbs wastegate and switching to the corn. I want to be over 700 for tx2k15 if the motor pops I have money to replace but don't want to do it just yet.

toomnymods

Established Member
This customer made the change and loved it.
The overlay is a Torque booster with 10psi and corn. The higher numbers were still 10psi, same tuner, fuel and dyno, but w our kit. It will also spool faster, but we were trying to keep the tires under it.

turbovstorquebooster_zps6d21706d.png

WOW that big of a power diffrence with a turbo? Thats pretty insane to hit those numbers with only 10lbs of boost. Was this the base kit CPRsm? or did this guy upgrade his turbo and downpipe to hit that?

CPRsm

Last one trapped 150+ on 12psi ;) That was the base 76

WOW that big of a power diffrence with a turbo? Thats pretty insane to hit those numbers with only 10lbs of boost. Was this the base kit CPRsm? or did this guy upgrade his turbo and downpipe to hit that?

Yeah to that's a base kit but with an older design 75mm turbo. It was something we were playing with until he does the auto swap. The new 76 that comes in the kit is only one millimeter larger, but a completely different design. Base downpipe is already 5in, she can't go any bigger captain! Lol
Dynoing a similar setup on an aluminator soon w the 76 that comes in the kit.

Stevem17500

Established Member
Dustin ur kits are def bad ass...wish I would of gotten it from the beginning. ..but I have no regrets with centri.. but well find out soon with ysi going on this week...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread