SVTP's ac427cobra takes his Boss 302S Mustang out at Virginia International Raceway

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

May is a beautiful month in the Piedmont region of Virginia, and Virginia International Raceway is truly one of the premier road course facilities in the US. When you combine those two with a copious amount Blue Oval derived horsepower you have the makings of a magnificent weekend. That just so happens to be what SVT Superfest is. The event is organized by The SVT Cobra Mustang Club and attended by members of The SVT Owners Association, Roush Road Crew, and Track Club USA. This is our second time visiting this annual Memorial Day Weekend event, but I think we’re going to have to add this event to our schedule every year. If you get a chance, you should go as well.

This event has many activities; including a car show, vendor alley, banquette with Ford engineers, etc.; but the main attraction is undoubtedly the opportunity to push the limits of your car and yourself around the historic turns of VIR. If you haven’t participated in a track-day type event, you really should. I love drag racing as much as the next gearhead, but to me it pales in comparison to taking on a road track. And VIR is track among tracks. It has such variation that you never seem to be fully confident on every inch of the course. You’ll find up-hill and down-hill portions, increasing and decreasing radii, high speed Esses, and the legendary Oak Tree turn.

So when SVTP’s own ac427cobra (‘Bruce’) invited us to take a ride around the track in his race-prepped Boss 302S Mustang we jumped at the opportunity. For those unfamiliar with the pedigree of the Boss 302S Mustang please take a look at this link:

Ford Racing's 2014 Mustang Boss 302S

That’s right, for less than a hundred grand you can have yourself a Ford built and back track superstar. I’ve personally been around quite a few 302Ses and the word I think best describes them is “legit.” This car is purpose built to be taken to the track and pushed beyond all sensibility. It’s stripped, caged, and can be had fully seam welded. It’s as close to a mail order race car as you’ll find anywhere. So, without any further delay, here is the video of our ride along with Bruce:

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LHCImZHc3I8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>​

If that’s not a great way to spend a weekend I don’t know what is. Bruce is one Hell of a driver and his Boss 302S had grip that just wouldn’t quit. That car stayed glued to the track in the turns at speeds that would have meant certain death in most factory built cars. The 302S is nothing short of an engineering marvel, and Ford Racing Performance Parts should be very proud to offer such a car to the public.

Speaking of thoroughly impressive cars, did you notice the as-of-yet unreleased Ford Fiesta ST and the SVT Shelby GT500 Mustang in the video? I was blown away by the tail-happy corner prowess of the Fiesta ST and the brutal speed of the GT500. What makes the performance of these cars even more impressive is the fact that they were both wearing street tires while out Boss 302S camera car was shod with Goodyear race-compound slicks. The ST looked like a blast in the Esses, while the GT500 was an absolute beast everywhere on the track. Its power in the straights was awe inspiring.

In case you missed the pics at the end of the video here they are, along with a few others, from our friend and SVTP contributor Rich5150:

First thing first, we had to make a small addition to Bruce's car.

VIR_2013_SVTOA_001.jpg

That's much better.

VIR_2013_SVTOA_002.jpg

BTW, the massive wing on the Boss 302S is made of carbon fiber.

VIR_2013_SVTOA_003.jpg

There were several Ford GTs in attendance.

VIR_2013_SVTOA_004.jpg

This 2013-14 GT500 was insanely fast on the track. It was being piloted by SVT engineers giving rides to those in attendance who made a charitable donation. That's a great way to raise money for a charity if you ask me.

VIR_2013_SVTOA_005.jpg

This Boss 302S was definitely in its element in the turns of VIR.

VIR_2013_SVTOA_006.jpg

This Ford GT had an awesome exhaust sound, and would occasionally put on a flame show.

VIR_2013_SVTOA_007.jpg

This was the view from our room.

VIR_2013_SVTOA_008.jpg

Staged up and ready to hit the track.

VIR_2013_SVTOA_009.jpg

George@MGW was on hand with his 2013 Boss 302LS putting his MT-82 shifter to the test.

VIR_2013_SVTOA_010.jpg

George tells us that switching pads, front rotors, and brake fluid made a huge difference in braking performance. He's rolling on a set of Hoosier slicks.

VIR_2013_SVTOA_011.jpg

There were Bosses everywhere. Ford's open-track oriented Pony Car has been a huge success.

VIR_2013_SVTOA_012.jpg

There was an impressive number and variety or cars participating, including a few non-Fords.

VIR_2013_SVTOA_013.jpg

VIR is a beautiful facility.

VIR_2013_SVTOA_014.jpg

This really makes me want to buy a 302S.

VIR_2013_SVTOA_015.jpg

So does this.

VIR_2013_SVTOA_016.jpg

George@MGW worked to improve his lab times throughout the day.

VIR_2013_SVTOA_017.jpg

There was a class for every skill level.

VIR_2013_SVTOA_018.jpg

There was also plenty of Corvettes on the track throughout the weekend.

VIR_2013_SVTOA_019.jpg

If you look closely you'll see a 2000 Cobra R. After over a decade this SVT creation still commands a lot of respect on the track.

VIR_2013_SVTOA_021.jpg

This event was held over Memorial Day weekend. Should not be forgotten what this holiday commemorates.

VIR_2013_SVTOA_022.jpg

If the opportunity arises, don't hesitate to make the trip to VIR.

VIR_2013_SVTOA_023.jpg

Photos by Rich5150

Special Thanks To:

ac427cobra - Bruce
Rich5150 - Rich
George@MGW

-SID297:beer:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Bruce, what was up at 12:50? And what was your best lap time of the weekend?

The GT500...just wow.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Bruce, what was up at 12:50? And what was your best lap time of the weekend?

The GT500...just wow.

It was the checker flag and I was trying to tell Travis that the 2013 GT 500 in front of us was f'n fast! :rockon: More that 200 more HP than us made that thing impossible to catch in the straights. But it was pretty loud in the car after the weld broke on the "H" pipe and we had to remove the exhaust from the "H" pipe back.

I have no clue what my lap times were. I'm not computer savy enough to know that AIM system. I'll have James download the data tomorrow and let you know.

But just as a guess I'd say I'm about 6 seconds slower than Dean Martin. :cryying: I did get a video of my ride with Dean Martin in his car. We were cranking out about 2:02's with traffic!!! :bowdown::rockon: I'll try to post it up once I get a chance.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

starnsey

Established Member
Was that GT500 set up for road racing or was that completely stock? From what I see online, anyone with a GT500 only drives in a straight line. Watching that thing tear up the turns and almost vanish in the distance - WOW - looked like it was moving in fast forward

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Was that GT500 set up for road racing or was that completely stock? From what I see online, anyone with a GT500 only drives in a straight line. Watching that thing tear up the turns and almost vanish in the distance - WOW - looked like it was moving in fast forward

It was bone stock with all of the track oriented options, including street tires.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator

That was a track-pack 2013 GT500 driven by one of the Ford Engineers. Those guys drive for a living and are excellent drivers. I unfortunately have a day gig, no make that two day gigs and I don't nearly get the seat time I'd like. :( I'm old and slow! ;-)

starnsey

Established Member
That was a track-pack 2013 GT500 driven by one of the Ford Engineers. Those guys drive for a living and are excellent drivers. I unfortunately have a day gig, no make that two day gigs and I don't nearly get the seat time I'd like. :( I'm old and slow! ;-)

Well, nevertheless, you're lucky to get to drive the Boss around such a sweet track!

Man, what a crazy job that would be to "have to" drive that GT500 around that much! So jealous.

3Dglasses

4.6 Liter rice cooker
Established Member
Great representation of the BOSS and that facility looks top notch. Bruce, well, he surpasses my already high expectations with his products, so this is gravy. Excellent post!

Brinzey

I would like to know if there is a Mustang Cobra club in charlotte, North Carolina dedicated to the 03/04 "Terminator"owners... Thanks[/B][/B]

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I would like to know if there is a Mustang Cobra club in charlotte, North Carolina dedicated to the 03/04 "Terminator"owners... Thanks[/B][/B]

I don't know of any club in Charlotte that is dedicated only to Terminators. But SCMC is a club that is dedicated to ALL SVT vehicles.

Users who are viewing this thread