SVTPerformance Installs Bob's Auto Sports Rear Axle Reservoir

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...lls-bobs-auto-sports-rear-axle-reservoir.html

If there’s one thing that annoys me about certain cars, it’s the factory cutting a corner just to save a buck. On the 2012 SVTP Mustang GT 5.0's 8.8-inch rear axle I can quickly point out two such shortfalls, the unpainted finish of the axle itself (we’ll be taking care of that in a future article) and the gear oil spewing axle vent. We tend to drive the SVTP GT in a spirited manner fairly often in journalistic endeavors. This has resulted in a somewhat significant amount of gear oil being emanated from the wholly inadequate axle vent.

Tiring of the sight of our unintentionally lubed axle we turned to Bob’s Auto Sports (“BAS”) for a solution. Bob’s sent us their BAS Axle Reservoir kit. The kit includes a machined expansion tank and all the hose and fittings you need to install it. We are not new to BAS components, you may recall that we covered the BAS Headrest Camera Mount in an earlier article.

BAS parts have a reputation for quality and the axle reservoir kit is no exception. The catch-can with integrated brackets is nicely machined, and the included hose and hardware are good quality. I particularly like the "hammered" finish of the reservoir itself. The BAS tank works by giving the oil that would otherwise be vented a volume of space to fill. Once the pressure in the differential decreases the oil returns to the axle. No longer will you have to tolerate a grease covered under-carriage.

Installation of the BAS Axle Reservoir is straightforward and simple with the use of common hand tools. Follow along below and we’ll walk you through it.

When you open the box, this is what you're greeted with. The title photo shows the contents of the hardware packet.

BAS_Axle_Res_001.jpg

This is the culprit we are looking to relocate. This vent is located on top of the driver's side axle tube on the SVTP GT.

BAS_Axle_Res_003.jpg

The stock vent is nothing more than a nipple with a stamped steel cap affixed to it to prevent debris from easily entering the differential.

BAS_Axle_Res_004.jpg

Here you can see how the axle has vented enough oil to cover the axle tube and differential. I hate this unpainted rusted surface. We'll be taking care of that in a few months.

BAS_Axle_Res_005.jpg

Here you can see one of the two upper control-arm mounting bolts.

BAS_Axle_Res_006.jpg

These two bolts will have to be removed to install the Bob's catch-can.

BAS_Axle_Res_007.jpg

I always like seeing that a new product from an SVTP vendor is either patented or has a patent pending. It means that the product is innovative, and it will hopefully keep the knockoff artists at bay.

BAS_Axle_Res_008.jpg

The welds on the catch can are very nice.

BAS_Axle_Res_009.jpg

Here you can see just how thick the material is that composes the catch-can body. Also, we caused those scratches on the machined end cap while test fitting it.

BAS_Axle_Res_010.jpg

The kit comes with this pipe plug that has to be placed in a hole on the reservoir.

BAS_Axle_Res_012.jpg

We coated the threads of all of the fittings with a little black RVT silicone to prevent any possible oil seepage.

BAS_Axle_Res_013.jpg

Bob's includes a variety of fittings and mounting holes so you can best choose which hose routing path works best on your Mustang.

BAS_Axle_Res_014.jpg

The stock vent has to be removed from the axle.

BAS_Axle_Res_015.jpg

The vent is then mounted to the top of the tank.

BAS_Axle_Res_016.jpg

If you manage to push oil through this vent now then you have more serious issues to worry about than a greasy undercarriage.

BAS_Axle_Res_017.jpg

We then mounted the straight nipple fitting into the provided thread adapter fitting.

BAS_Axle_Res_018.jpg

That assembly then gets mounted into the stock vent's former location.

BAS_Axle_Res_019.jpg

As mentioned above, we have to remove the two upper control-arm bolts to mount the reservoir. We did this on a 4-post lift so the suspension remained fully loaded.

BAS_Axle_Res_011.jpg

The Bob's reservoir then just mounts onto the upper control-arm with the use of the factory bolts.

BAS_Axle_Res_020.jpg

After messing around with the provided hose for a few minutes we changed our mind about using the straight fitting and opted to go with this 90 degree piece, which was also provided. That one of the great things about the BAS kit, they give you options to customize your install.

BAS_Axle_Res_021.jpg

This allowed us to easily route the vent hose around the fuel filler neck.

BAS_Axle_Res_022.jpg

The vent hose then connects to the other 90 degree fitting mounted on the tank. as toy can see, we routed it safely away from the hot exhaust pipes. In my experience, a hot steel pipe and a rubber hose full of oil don't typically play well together.

BAS_Axle_Res_023.jpg

Here you can see how the BAS Reservoir kit tucks in nicely and does not rub or interfere with anything around it. That's really all there is to the install, it's extremely simple. Since the install we haven't noticed an additional oil seepage on the SVTP GT.

BAS_Axle_Res_024.jpg

This is George@MGW's 2013 Boss 302 LS. The Boss LS has a bit different axle venting setup than the SVTP GT.

BAS_Axle_Res_025.jpg

The Boss uses the same vent as the GT but instead of mounting it in the axle tube it is fitted to the top of the differential cover.

BAS_Axle_Res_026.jpg

George's Boss didn't show any sign that the axle had been venting oil. It's good to see that the Bosses and Shelbys come with paint applied to the axle housing. In a future article we will cover painting the rear axle of the SVTP GT.

BAS_Axle_Res_027.jpg

Since installing the Bob's Auto Sports Axle Reservoir we haven't noticed any additional oil seepage from the differential. There's also no noise, vibration, or rubbing from it. Some may look at this mod as overkill, as there are other simpler and cheaper solutions to this problem, but I always felt that if you're going to fix something you should try to do it in the best way possible. Of the solutions I've seen for the axle venting issue the BAS Reservoir takes the prize for being the most complete. One thing seems certain with the Bob's Auto Sports kit, once it is installed your venting issues will be solved. If you do manage to get it to puke oil, chances are you have exploded the differential; and you should definitely send me pics of the carnage. That's something I'd have to see.

Special Thanks To:

Bob's Auto Sports

-SID297:beer:

Laloosh

Established Member
Looks like you guys are eventually going to destroy that hose mounting it where you did. While that axle bounches up and down, that hose will rub on the body and eventually leak.

Bill Anderson

Established Member
Actually FoMoCO has a TSB out on this issue and a fix...a similar solution, (replacement vent and bladder)
not as fancy, but it is free, and works

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Looks like you guys are eventually going to destroy that hose mounting it where you did. While that axle bounches up and down, that hose will rub on the body and eventually leak.

After over 1000 miles we've seen no evidence of a rubbing issue. The hose is fairly thick and there's plenty of slack. I doubt we'll ever have any problem with it.

Actually FoMoCO has a TSB out on this issue and a fix...a similar solution, (replacement vent and bladder)

That's very true, and something you should definitely look into if you don't feel like going all out on the BAS kit.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
another nice write up! svtp = :rockon:

interesting that the boss/shelby use a different axle housing than the gt. unless it is the same and they just don't drill for the vent

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
the vent is still there, just has a bolt in it I believe

when we swapped to the watts link on the boss, we moved it back to the axle housing like the gt's, as the watts link diff cover didn't come vented

BlackDragon

Because Race Car...
Established Member

except when you have an aftermarket exhaust and the little turkey baster thingy melts and craps fluid everywhere.

Bob's reservoir is solid and its up to you to keep it routed from melting...

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
except when you have an aftermarket exhaust and the little turkey baster thingy melts and craps fluid everywhere.

Bob's reservoir is solid and its up to you to keep it routed from melting...

I haven't seen that happen. Do you have a link or any pics of that I could take a look at?

Nitrous SSC

Established Member
I need this on my Marauder. For some reason that car spews gear oil out of the vent like crazy. I've even replaced the vent.

BlackDragon

Because Race Car...
Established Member
It has a plastic vent on the tip of it. I found a pic that illustrates what happens with 3 inch ota pipes. Mine melted in less than a week. And for some reason it leaks more when it melts and shoots the gear oil onto the pipe.

img20120518165535.jpg

Last edited:

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Ok so why did Ford add a vent? Would it be bad to plug off the vent?

All rears are vented. Every car/truck, every brand and even things like 4-wheelers.

The heat/friction builds a slight bit of pressure inside.

Basiclly if you plug it off and drive hard you will end up with leaking seals

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
All rears are vented. Every car/truck, every brand and even things like 4-wheelers.

The heat/friction builds a slight bit of pressure inside.

Basiclly if you plug it off and drive hard you will end up with leaking seals

Yep, the pressure has to go somewhere, and not one wants blown seals.

RFM50

Established Member
I was actually at the dealer having my AC recharged when I saw this and had them do it. They claim there is no turkey baster just a different vent and sealant. I haven't had a chance to crawl under there since I got it home but will later.

Users who are viewing this thread