SVTPerformance Installs and Tests Intake, Exhaust, and Tune to 2009 V8 Explorer

CCM302

Established Member
I tried to find a calculator to back calculate a rough estimate of hp and tq increase based on your 0-60 time decrease. But they're all crap. You got any guess assuming the stock flywheel power is 292hp/300tq? I know you said you haven't put it on a dyno yet.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Haven't really looked into it. A lot of the improvement came from throttle and tranny tuning, no extra horsepower required.

CCM302

Established Member
I didn't think I liked that color before, but it's growing on me. Looks and sounds good man!

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Thanks. It looks even better in person. The Sports are rare. I've only ever seen one other one in person, and it was red.

clc44

Established Member
Can you do a 1/4 mile run on the Livewire? Curious on a round about ET and MPH. Do you think it's deep in the 15's or maybe even high 14's? I'm probably getting a 06-09 Eddie Bauer or limited here soon and would love these round of mods. Are they just canned tunes? Anything I should look for when test driving or inspection? I may even go with the sport trac version but they retail a little higher.

Thanks!! Let's see 1/4 mile and MPG updates ;)

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Can you do a 1/4 mile run on the Livewire? Curious on a round about ET and MPH. Do you think it's deep in the 15's or maybe even high 14's? I'm probably getting a 06-09 Eddie Bauer or limited here soon and would love these round of mods. Are they just canned tunes? Anything I should look for when test driving or inspection? I may even go with the sport trac version but they retail a little higher.

Thanks!! Let's see 1/4 mile and MPG updates ;)

I haven't been driving it lately, so no MPG updates. I may drive it to FL after the first of the year though.

The Livewire can do 1/4 mile runs, but I'm not sure of a place where it could safely be done. I do want to get some updated 0-60 times in cooler weather though. The tunes we used were custom ones from VMP.

dpclass001

Very, Very nice truck. I recently bought a 09 Ford Explorer 4x4 Eddie Bauer. I want to put some more power into the Explorer so I could tow my toys. I went online only to find Volant, Airaid, or K&N don't make anything for year. For whatever reason only K&N makes a intake for years 06 to 08, but not for my 09. Was just wondering if you have ran into any problems, other than the nut being to short. Does the check engine light come on? Any help would be useful. I plan i doing similar modifications to the vehicle. Intake, exhaust, and maybe the jet-performance module. Again many thanks for the post, the trucks looks awesome...

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
The 09 is really no different than an 08. He bolt was the only real issue I ran into. I wouldn't waste my money on a jet chip. Find a tuner you trust, I used Justin at VMP for the Ex, and order an SCT product of your choice with some custom tunes. That way you get the shifts, throttle feel, etc set up exactly the way you want it.

Be sure to check out the other threads covering the Ex here on SVTP. We'll have some very interesting ones coming in 2013.

dpclass001

Thanks for help and giving me input on the electronics modifications. I plan on basically doing the same intake and exhaust and SCT modifications you did. Please keep me updated on your truck, I plan i purchasing a toy hauler and need as much power as i can out of this vehicle. Going up hill and towing 6000 pounds, the Explorer will need as much power as i can get. Once again thanks for the post, beautiful vehicle.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I’d like to give a little update to this article. Yesterday morning (February 7, 2013) I got the Explorer out with the same mods that we ended with on this article; 93 Octane VMP Tune, K&N Intake, and Magnaflow Cat-Back. The only real difference was temperature. Our final tests in the main article were performed on June 28, 2012 in Myrtle Beach, SC at about 2:00pm. It was 93⁰ F at the time of our runs.

As a refresher, here are our earlier runs:

Final runs made June 28, 2012 in 93⁰ F temperature air with VMP 93 Octane Performance Tune, K&N Intake, and Magnaflow Exhaust:

Run 1 – 8.03
Run 2 – 8.04
Run 3 – 8.38

Yesterday I ran multiple runs in the same location at about 8:30am. It was a cool 45⁰ F. So with the same mods and nearly 50⁰ F cooler temps here are our results:

Cooler air makes a huge difference:

Run 1 – 7.38
Run 2 – 7.30
Run 3 – 7.57

As you can see, if you take the two best times from each run we managed to cut off over 7ths of a second. That’s a HUGE gain from nothing but different atmospheric conditions. Next week we will be starting work for a new series of articles on this Explorer that will feature parts and services from FRPP, Reische Perfromance, Tousley Ford, VMP Tuning, and another notable SVTP Vendor. It should be fun.

-SID297:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread