SVTPerformance Installs and Tests Intake, Exhaust, and Tune to 2009 V8 Explorer

slowgreycobra

Established Member
Dropping 1.5 seconds off of your 0-60 time with a few mods is pretty impressive. I thought about an explorer with the 4.6 3v a few years ago, but got an awesome deal on a loaded 05 Jeep GC Limited with the 5.7 Hemi. I always wondered how the Explorers would respond to mods, so these articles are fun to read. Keep them coming!

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
I'm interested in doing another run or two when it gets cooler outside.

I'd like to see a 0-60 vid to compare.

Here is my 0-60 with catback and tune:
th_101_1311.jpg

One vid from the inside at the drag strip:
th_Run1.jpg

And a youtube vid a buddy that I ran made I'm the second run:
[youtube_browser]o8-5aKLlkks[/youtube_browser]

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Dropping 1.5 seconds off of your 0-60 time with a few mods is pretty impressive. I thought about an explorer with the 4.6 3v a few years ago, but got an awesome deal on a loaded 05 Jeep GC Limited with the 5.7 Hemi. I always wondered how the Explorers would respond to mods, so these articles are fun to read. Keep them coming!

I think we'll probably have 2-3 more articles covering mods to the Ex. It all depends on how popular they are.

I'd like to see a 0-60 vid to compare.

Here is my 0-60 with catback and tune:
th_101_1311.jpg

One vid from the inside at the drag strip:
th_Run1.jpg

And a youtube vid a buddy that I ran made I'm the second run:
[youtube_browser]o8-5aKLlkks[/youtube_browser]

not too bad:beer:

looks good. those XLT Sport V8 were always hard to find. I love those and the ironman explorers!

Thanks. I was originally looking for an Ironman. I've like the orange ones since they came out in 07. Finding a good one of those is tough too.

nice write up i really enjoyed reading through it,oh and nice explorer definitely the nicest one i've seen.

good read and great looking Explorer

wow you pick up 1sec in 0-60 thats great

Nope, I dropped like 1.5 seconds.:pepper:

0-60 in 8 secs with the AC on and a AWD SUV. not too shabby.

For what it is, it's not bad at all.

andymarkv

Established Member
Can't wait to see more!
I love fast Mustangs, but the reality is my GT500 is a garage queen...
My wifes 4.7 Jeep Grand Cherokee is what we drive everywhere.

Seeing real Daily Drivers modded for the most fun they can be, while still being useful, is of big interest to me!

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Can't wait to see more!
I love fast Mustangs, but the reality is my GT500 is a garage queen...
My wifes 4.7 Jeep Grand Cherokee is what we drive everywhere.

Seeing real Daily Drivers modded for the most fun they can be, while still being useful, is of big interest to me!

We have some articles coming up about the SVTP F-350 in the near future as well.

jimcars81

Established Member
I don't mean to butt in, but I think he might have gotten that impression due to the aftermarket exhaust being louder. The stock exhaust is actually too quiet and therefore he probably assumed that the launches were done differently.

Speed Demon

Established Member
Hey Sid, if you want a Mustang 3v intake to throw on there let me know. I have one that I pulled off my buddy's 07 that I did a Roushcharger swap on. I have basically everything minus the throttle body.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Hey Sid, if you want a Mustang 3v intake to throw on there let me know. I have one that I pulled off my buddy's 07 that I did a Roushcharger swap on. I have basically everything minus the throttle body.

Thanks, I'll let you know. I would be concerned about losing low end torque.

markoesc

Go Gators!
Established Member
great write-up, wifey drives an 06 V8 limited, I recently put a larger tire on it 265/65 R18's. It does well on MPG ~16 city, and on our last highway trip it averaged 15.8mpg at 85mph, 17.6mpg at 75mph, 20.6mpg at 70mph, and 24.7mpg at 55mph, those are with the stock speedo calibration which MPG #'s would improve if the speedo was calibrated to the taller tire shown in the pictures. To get those number I hit the stated speed, set cruise control, then hit reset on the mpg and drove for at least 10 mins without varying velocity. Do you know what the fuel mileage is on yours with the tune and mods?

Thanks again for the detailed write up, good info man.

IMG-20110821-00022.jpg

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I haven't taken it on a trip with the mods yet. I have a few more articles in the work, and an MPG update should be included in one of them.

Users who are viewing this thread