SVTP Looks Inside the 2011+ Mustang GT Transmissions

darkpony02

What flashing lights?
Established Member
i noticed the throwout bearing is hydraulic, maybe running a lower viscosity fluid would make the engagment/disengagement more consistent especially in cold weather.

Jroc

Established Member
I had a TSB done on my MT-82 for a new dual clutch fluid to help with cold shift issues, but I have to say it makes a huge difference in all around shifting. I love the MT-82, I have driven a couple of T-56 cars, and I have to personally say the MT-82 shifts faster and nicer than any T-56. But if any of you are having a hard time shifting try that new fluid it makes a world of difference.

I agree that the new MT-82 is a smoother, nicer to shift tranny than a T-56, but most manual cars transmissions are. The old 5 speed Mustang trannies were much easier to live with on the streets than the T-56 in the Terminators. With that said a T56(especially Viper spec) is one robust tranny. I doubt the current stock Mustang GT's MT-82 will live up to the abuse that one of the stouter T56's will handle.

Also I like the GT500's TR6060 better than the MT-82. Its streetability is quite improved over the older T56, and I was very impressed with how smooth, and short it's throws were.

With that said I don't have a problem with the MT-82 other than the car I drove had a serious problem going in reverse. IDK way as it was a brand new car,(maybe its a car that the dealer had been letting everyone test drive, and someone fugged up) but to put it in reverse you have to fiddle around and slam the shifter like an old school bus. I couldn't get it in reverse as I didn't want to break it, but thats what the dealer had to do. B/F I even went to put it in reverse he said that the only problem with the new Mustangs is they didn't like to be put in reverse so IDK if this is a common thing or not. I have talked to others who say they have no problem at all getting their MT-82 cars in reverse. Other than that the MT-82 is a very slick shifting tranny that just need a STS.

Last edited:

Brutal Metal

Established Member
If you got $30K to buy a 2011 GT 6 speed, you can spend another $1K on an RXT, all clutch problems solved,use the correct fluid and you have a Nice Trans, don't forget to re-loctite the flywheel bolts..

Last edited:

renxwar

Established Member
Well suddenly I don't feel as cheated with my '10 Genesis Coupe DD having a shitty transmission. Sounds like the new 5.0s are having the same issues.

Atlantic Blue

Established Member
I know I'm getting old and sometimes my eyesight isn't too good, but look at the third picture after the story, on the far left of the main shaft. Is it just me, or is there a broken tooth there?? Look closely at the gear tooth that is just above the bottom tooth, on the far left of the case, right on the end... I swear the tooth/gear looks to me like it's chipped right on the left end of it. Would they really put something like this on display?
I drove a 2011 GT and I personally thought the transmission was great, but then remember I am driving a 98 Cobra, and we all know what a piece of crap that tranny is! So anything is better than what I have to deal with.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
I had a TSB done on my MT-82 for a new dual clutch fluid to help with cold shift issues, but I have to say it makes a huge difference in all around shifting. I love the MT-82, I have driven a couple of T-56 cars, and I have to personally say the MT-82 shifts faster and nicer than any T-56. But if any of you are having a hard time shifting try that new fluid it makes a world of difference.

Borg Warner designed the T-56 to shift slow.. you can (by dropping the tranny) and changing an adjustment on it, make it shift fast and smooth..

sccaSVT

Waiting for a new 5.0
Established Member

I haven't heard any in-depth discussion on the problems with the MT-82. If this fixes a shift feel problem, great. But what about complete failures of the trans? Is something breaking internally due to a driver having problems shifting & just tries to shift it like a gorilla?

03slobra2

POSI "race"port FTW
Established Member
Borg Warner designed the T-56 to shift slow.. you can (by dropping the tranny) and changing an adjustment on it, make it shift fast and smooth..

I you referring to the "cobra killer" mod that the corvette community uses.

There is a bolt you back out about a 1/16th of a inch and that takes the pressure off the shifter to allow it to be more fluid in motion.

Top Passenger side of the trans just in front of the shifter.

There is a thread about it in the Terminator section.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I you referring to the "cobra killer" mod that the corvette community uses.

There is a bolt you back out about a 1/16th of a inch and that takes the pressure off the shifter to allow it to be more fluid in motion.

Top Passenger side of the trans just in front of the shifter.

There is a thread about it in the Terminator section.

It's not "back out" it's "shim out" with washers to space it out farther and then retighten.

"Back out" I can just see someone actually doing just that.:rollseyes:poke: LOL!

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Sorry I phrazed it wrong.... but I am correct on the "adjustment" being talked about.

Very true it takes pressure off the detent spring to lighten the shift effort.

I was just afraid of a newb not looking it up and just backing the bolt off a little and nothing else, then driving it that way, with it loose.:rollseyes

FastRedPonyCar